Snuff

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby StevenF50 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:52 pm

This may sound stupid but is the book out yet? :oops: Sounds good with goblins in it :D :D Who is going to get the book?
StevenF50

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:43 pm

It's still at proofing stage, or was at the end of August, as Terry and Rob were reading it and editing as they went at the DW convention, so won't be out for a while yet - 2011 some time though I should think :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:44 pm

It's the next Discworld book it should be out about September, as it is in draft stage at the moment. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby StevenF50 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:56 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:It's still at proofing stage, or was at the end of August, as Terry and Rob were reading it and editing as they went at the DW convention, so won't be out for a while yet - 2011 some time though I should think :D
Okay thank you very much Jan Van Quirm! Well lets hope they don't spot to many mistakes though you can always improve a book! Anyone getting excited waiting for it to come out?
StevenF50

Postby Beautiful Dirt » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:18 pm

Don't ever feel silly asking about the next Pratchett book. We're all suffering from withdrawals and it's not been long since I Shall Wear Midnight :lol:
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. H. L. Mencken
Beautiful Dirt

Postby BaldJean » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:02 pm

"Snuff" could even mean "It is enough". ('s 'nuff)
BaldJean

Postby Dotsie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:12 pm

True - welcome to the site :)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Verns » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:52 pm

Sam Vimes is my favourite character in DW. I love all the Watch books, but I would happily read a book with Vimes in it and the Watch relegated to background noise. Sorry, but there it is. In TFE, I found on subsequent re-readings that I was skipping the Colon and Nobby scenes to get back to what was happening in Uberwald.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the finalists in the DW World Cup Night Watch and Thud? With Thud winning in the end? So it would seem to be a favourite with PTerry fans. Night Watch was just about perfect, but I loved Thud, too. As with TFE and, to an extent, Jingo and Monstrous Regiment, I find Vimes' growing influence in foreign affairs rather than domestic policing fascinating.

Snuff sounds like a continuation of that theme, and the introduction of Uberwaldian orcs in UA adds to the interesting mix of that area. With the trolls and dwarves finding an uneasy peace as a result of the Koom Valley accord, anything that might tip that balance would provide an interesting plot. Plus Nutt is a wonderful new character and I want to see more of him.
Verns

Postby BaldJean » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:57 am

I would actually like to see more of Salacia von Humpeding: I think there are interesting possibilities in her relationship with Angua. How about a little lesbian love affair between Sally and Angua? After all they started out like many odd couples from Hollywood movies. Or perhaps a ménage à trois between Sally, Angua and Carrot.
BaldJean

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:10 am

Welcome to the site BaldJean! :D Can't see Sally and Angua getting it on, but who knows? Frankly, I wouldn't want a love bite from either of them! :shock:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby BaldJean » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:59 am

Thanks for the welcomes. You say you can't see it happen, but I think the situation between the two is very much like it is, for example, for Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn at the beginniing of "African Queen". I don't think it would be an easy relationship, either as ménage à trois or a lesbian affair, and as a lesbian affair it would always be a side affair for Angua. But how would Carrot react?
And a ménage à trois can happen more or less accidentally. Have you ever read "Castle Gripsholm" by Kurt Tucholsky? In that book a ménage à trois comes to pass because the two women lie in bed solving a crossword puzzle, and the man, who is in the adjoining bedroom, comes over to help when the two women start arguing about solving the puzzle.
"Castle Gripsholm" is a recommended read, by the way; a very funny book (Tucholsky was one of the leading German satirists of his time), but with serious parts too. I read it in the original German, but I know there is an English translation around.
BaldJean

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:12 pm

Hi there BaldJean and welcome to the forum :D Are you the lady in the blue or the pink? :wink:

We've been having a debate in another thread about Terry's not being too comfortable with romantic aspects - all his successful couples seem to settle very quickly into the sustainable phases of lurve and the flirty passionate side of things soon seems to fizzle. He's gradually been moving into same gender relationships so it's certainly possible that he might go for that but atm I think he's more interested in cross-racial love affairs with Glenda and Mr. Nutt which is also connected with Margalotta and Vetinari's long-standing 'arrangment'.

I can't see it happening for Angua and Salacia TBH. In Uberwald the werewolf-vampire configuration is too laden with opposing needs and attitudes and it's Angua who'll be wholly antagonistic to the menage a trois scenario. Sally will threaten her position as alpha female to Carrot's alpha male and Carrot himself is so straight in every respect I very much doubt he'll see an affair with Sally as possible. It wouldn't even cross his mind to look at Sally as a possible lover unless Angua's rejects him entirely and even then I think the bond would be too strong as their love is based on a pack mentality not a human one (in terms of how it's left between them in Fifth Elephant).

Possibly the lesbian configuration would be OK as there's no conflict as such there for Angua, but again it'd have to be pack related (and also by Watch rank with Angua as Captain now) so Sally would have to take a subsiduary position which I think wouldn't be at all acceptable to her.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:07 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Hi there BaldJean and welcome to the forum :D Are you the lady in the blue or the pink? :wink:

Fools and idiots seldom differ. :roll:
I asked her the very same question 4 hours ago. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby BaldJean » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:13 pm

I am the one in pink.
BaldJean

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:40 pm

poohcarrot wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:Hi there BaldJean and welcome to the forum :D Are you the lady in the blue or the pink? :wink:

Fools and idiots seldom differ. :roll:
I asked her the very same question 4 hours ago. :lol:
Pooh, you don't think Jan actually reads your posts, do you? :P
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books