The Turtle Moves

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The Turtle Moves

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:53 pm

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been mentioned here before.

I just discovered this book - The Turtle Moves: Discworld's Story So Far (Paperback) by Lawrence Watt-Evans.

Product Description
Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is a publishing phenomenon, around the globe. Three dozen novels over the past 20-odd years have delighted millions of readers. Here, avid fan and fantasy author Watt-Evans offers 62 chapters describing the Discworld for fan and neophyte alike, with a chapter-by-chapter chronological account of how each novel has altered and added to the whole, a taxonomy of the various sub-series and extensive comments on ""How It All Works"" and ""What It All Means"".
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jason » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:33 pm

I've read the book and quite enjoyed it. I will try to get a review together the next month's issue.

This month we have Kirstie's review of Mort Live and my review of Wadfest.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:37 pm

Oh good! :D My first thought was someone cashing in on the 25 years of Discworld.
Tonyblack

Postby silverstreak » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:46 pm

Never come across The Turtle Moves.Judging by what Jason says it might be worth a punt,if I can find it.

By the way Tony that Cornwell book was Heretic.I didn't get it from a charity shop,that was a Neil Gaiman book called Smoke and Mirrors.I actually picked it up from The Works believe it or not.
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby chris.ph » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:50 pm

amazon £4.53
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby silverstreak » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:58 pm

chris.ph wrote:amazon £4.53

Thank you.
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:09 pm

silverstreak wrote:Never come across The Turtle Moves.Judging by what Jason says it might be worth a punt,if I can find it.

By the way Tony that Cornwell book was Heretic.I didn't get it from a charity shop,that was a Neil Gaiman book called Smoke and Mirrors.I actually picked it up from The Works believe it or not.

Ah right - Heretic is part three of the Grail Quest Trilogy set during the 100 Years War - you really do need to read Harliquin (The Archer's Tale in the US) and Vagabond first.

It's a great series and well worth reading.

Here's a list of all Bernard Cornwell's books. :)
Tonyblack

Postby silverstreak » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:21 pm

Wow Tony,that's quite a list.
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:25 pm

Yep and apart from his latest book, which isn't out yet, I've read them all - even the one he denies knowledge of. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby silverstreak » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:28 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Yep and apart from his latest book, which isn't out yet, I've read them all - even the one he denies knowledge of. :lol:

Bet your tender has never been more hooked.Except for Nation that is.
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:41 pm

Terry and Bernard have calmed down somewhat in the last few years, but a while ago they were bringing out two or three books each a year and it was almost always around the same time. Thankfully both authors tend to be sold at a great discount in places like Tesco. :D
Tonyblack

Postby windle poons » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:21 am

Bringing this thread back on topic Product Description

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is a publishing phenomenon, around the globe. Three dozen novels over the past 20-odd years have delighted millions of readers. Here, avid fan and fantasy author Watt-Evans offers 62 chapters describing the Discworld for fan and neophyte alike, with a chapter-by-chapter chronological account of how each novel has altered and added to the whole, a taxonomy of the various sub-series and extensive comments on ""How It All Works"" and ""What It All Means"".

Ive just finished it, quite a good read,even if some of the humour is a bit forced at times,and very obviously aimed at the US market with a fair amount of explaination of some of the more English aspects of the Discworld books.Its well worth having a look at especially if you are fairly new to Discworld and wanting to know which book to read next.I think this is amongst the best of the suprisingly small number of books of this type around
Bob
windle poons

Return to Latest books