The "I shall wear midnight" thread

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:43 pm

I loved the Hat !!!
And thanks for the offer, WWDug, that's very nice of you, if I find time enough to reread them i'll take a note if I don't understand something!

p.s. you should be careful in offering your help, you've just being taken on your word! :wink: :lol:
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:37 pm

I would not have offered if it was not meant. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby And » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:45 pm

I always watched Rab C. Nesbitt* and tuned into his speech eventually. This skill proved EXTREMELY useful with the Nac Mac Feegles.

*One of the greatest comedy creations ever and vastly, vastly under-rated imo.
And

Postby lyn » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:12 am

who's wee dug, you said the book won't be out until next Autumn. I'm downunder in Four X.
do you realise we are upside down here? Autumn here is March.
but I don't suppose you meant then?
lyn

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:58 am

lyn wrote:who's wee dug, you said the book won't be out until next Autumn. I'm downunder in Four X.
:lol: Nice try lyn, but it doesn't work like that. Maybe you'll get it in autumn 2011 just for that! :P :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dandelion » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:19 am

Tonyblack wrote: :lol: Nice try lyn, but it doesn't work like that. Maybe you'll get it in autumn 2011 just for that! :P :wink:

That'd be the usual delay for me, as I'm a paperback reader.. Even worse is the fact, that I could get a translated german paperback version at least six months earlier. Wouldn't there be the fact, that 90% of the humor in the Discworld books is lost in translation, I could sometimes get tempted..
Fabricati Diem, Pvnk!
Dandelion

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:40 am

Dandelion wrote:
Tonyblack wrote: :lol: Nice try lyn, but it doesn't work like that. Maybe you'll get it in autumn 2011 just for that! :P :wink:

That'd be the usual delay for me, as I'm a paperback reader.. Even worse is the fact, that I could get a translated german paperback version at least six months earlier. Wouldn't there be the fact, that 90% of the humor in the Discworld books is lost in translation, I could sometimes get tempted..
It seems to depend on the translator. I've heard, from people who have read the German versions, that the translator does a real good job with the humour, but as a lot of members here will agree, reading the books in English is the best way. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:22 pm

lyn wrote:who's wee dug, you said the book won't be out until next Autumn. I'm downunder in Four X.
Hi Lyn,what I meant was Autum in the UK about Sept.or October hopefully sooner. Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby lyn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:13 am

thanks for that Tony and Dug.
I think I'll go away and cry now.....
lyn

Postby Tristan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:08 pm

In an interview at the Guardian Book Club, Pratchett remarked that the book is an urban fantasy. For example, the book features an urban witch, Mrs. Crause, who does not like the countryside and all of whose magic is to do with the city.

Source: Wikipedia

Sounds promising! And then again - Ankh-Morpork => Esk? :D
"...my father is the Emperor of Klatch and my mother is a small tray of raspberry puddings."
Tristan

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:50 pm

Lyn pity it won't be out in time for the Worldcon in Melborne this year,or you could order it's online when it out in the UK. :)
Who's Wee Dug

The Romance?

Postby Rhya » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:52 pm

Dotsie wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:I agree with you about Wee Free Men, but enjoyed Hatful. I thought the weakest one was Wintersmith.

:roll: is there no romance in the world? :twisted:

A woman leading a man on, then when the man responds, is told to bugger off, is hardly what I'd call romantic. Maybe it's a woman thing, but that just leaves me cold (cold - ha ha! :lol: )

Or, a woman is nice to man, who then thinks "at last! The woman is obssessed with me, I will show her how much I love her by killing a few people and making her miserable, then she will be mine!!!" The oldest story, happens all the time :roll:

I don’t know i thought it was sweet. The feeling i got from the book was that she like Ronald but first romances are always awkward. :oops: Remember how angry she got that Ronald looked at another girls watercolors. :lol: I think the attraction went both ways.

And who wouldn’t be flattered if a god fell in love with them. :roll:

Id like to see where it goes between her and Ronald in the next book.

Also does anyone know what the time line will be? If it will be a direct continuation or if she will age a year or two?
“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.” ~ Terry Pratchett
Rhya

Postby BigGee42 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:30 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:
Hi Lyn,what I meant was Autum in the UK about Sept.or October hopefully sooner. Image

Howdy folks, i'm new!

Thought you might be interested in this:

Amazon.co.uk have "I Shall Wear Midnight" listed for release on 2nd Sep 2010.

Ta ta!

"Trousers as shiny as glass, and shirts so worn you can see daylight through them"
BigGee42

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:40 am

Woo HOO!!!!! That is good news! :D
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:37 am

Welcome to the site BigGee42! :D

September eh? That makes a change from October.

As to Roland and the romance - I agree that it's kind of sweet. It's also nice to see the way Roland has evolved over the books. He's gone from totally oboxious to a rather caring and thoughtful boy who obviously thinks the world of Tiff.

I'm not sure where it will go though as I somehow can't imagine Tiffany getting married. :?
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books