The "I shall wear midnight" thread

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:33 pm

Ah! the impatience of youth, Image :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:07 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Ah! the impatience of youth, Image :lol:

Exactly... we have to remember that he has had to cut down from two books per year to just one. Think of it as an EXTREME exercise in patience. :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tristan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:17 am

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:Ah! the impatience of youth, Image :lol:

Exactly... we have to remember that he has had to cut down from two books per year to just one. Think of it as an EXTREME exercise in patience. :lol:

But when will it be published, then? Did Terry mention a date? Or a month? Probably next year, right? :D
"...my father is the Emperor of Klatch and my mother is a small tray of raspberry puddings."
Tristan

Postby raisindot » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:29 pm

Although I haven't been as enthralled with the later Tiffany books ("Hatful of Sky," in particular, didn't hold my interest, other than the Granny Weatherwax bits), I am looking forward to seeing how Pterry concludes this series.

Meanwhile, I would opine that "Wee Free Men" ranks up there with the best 'adult' DW books. Why it didn't win a Caldecott (sp.) or some other kind of eligible top-notch young readers' book award is beyond me. It simply amazes me how PTerry was able to take the "elven milleau" he created to great success in "Lords and Ladies" and thoroughly revisit, revamp, and refine the ideas in entirely new ways. Even without the Feegles it would have been an excellent book...with the Feegles, it's got everything.

Jeff in Boston
raisindot

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:21 pm

I agree with you about Wee Free Men, but enjoyed Hatful. I thought the weakest one was Wintersmith.
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:34 pm

poohcarrot wrote:I agree with you about Wee Free Men, but enjoyed Hatful. I thought the weakest one was Wintersmith.

:roll: is there no romance in the world? :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tristan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:45 pm

poohcarrot wrote:I agree with you about Wee Free Men, but enjoyed Hatful. I thought the weakest one was Wintersmith.

Every single one of them was great, but I must say that "The Wee Free Men" wasn't as good as the two books to follow; not that the first one was bad, but "A Hat Full of Sky" and "Wintersmith" were pretty amazing! :D

If I have to choose a favourite... Hm, I'm not really sure, I think I'll go for the Hat. Wintersmith is a close second, mind you!

The Tiffany series are a great way for Pratchett to continue where he left off the Witches-series and he did a wonderful job! And although I occasionally get nostalgic (and with a tear on my face remember the good ol' times and Magrat and Agnes :lol:) PTerry has introduced us to some GREAT characters - Miss Tick, Miss Level, Miss Treason, Annagramma and all the other witches, and let's not forget: The Feegles and the star of the whole show, la creme de la creme, Miss Tiffany Aching!
"...my father is the Emperor of Klatch and my mother is a small tray of raspberry puddings."
Tristan

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:03 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:

A woman leading a man on, then when the man responds, is told to bugger off, is hardly what I'd call romantic. Maybe it's a woman thing, but that just leaves me cold (cold - ha ha! :lol: )
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:05 pm

It was the ice crystal roses wot done it! The snowflakes and the iceberg were a little too ostentatious but of course males always like to show off... :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:17 pm

I found Wintersmith got better with more readings. But Hat Full of Sky will always be a very special book for us. It's my favourite of the trio so far.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:26 am

poohcarrot wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:

A woman leading a man on, then when the man responds, is told to bugger off, is hardly what I'd call romantic. Maybe it's a woman thing, but that just leaves me cold (cold - ha ha! :lol: )

Or, a woman is nice to man, who then thinks "at last! The woman is obssessed with me, I will show her how much I love her by killing a few people and making her miserable, then she will be mine!!!" The oldest story, happens all the time :roll:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:16 am

:roll:
poohcarrot

Postby raisindot » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:41 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:It was the ice crystal roses wot done it! The snowflakes and the iceberg were a little too ostentatious but of course males always like to show off... :twisted:

See, that's why I felt "Wintersmith" stretched credulity. Now, if Wintersmith had been a typical man he would have given Tiffany an electric shovel. :)

Jeff in Boston
raisindot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:58 pm

It's still a work in progress, no time scale given but I would guess Autumn as when talking it about Terry resolved a plotline. So don't hold your breath. :wink:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tristan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:24 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I found Wintersmith got better with more readings. But Hat Full of Sky will always be a very special book for us. It's my favourite of the trio so far.

For "us"? Your and... Perdita X? :lol:

And next autumn... that's like almost a year. Lawks! (I've always wanted to say it, but it feels out of context every time I try. :lol: Ah well, one of my all-time favourite parts of Wyrd Sisters). I guess Terry is now writing just one book a year. :roll:
Tristan

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books