funny words in any language - your favourites

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:27 pm

I thought it was a watch or maybe a torch.. i still can't see a robot :oops:
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:39 pm

It does look a little like a watch maybe. Does this help anyone? :P

Granted it's not the Bender or Robby school but that does look quite a bit like a robot doesn't it? :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:00 pm

no :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:58 pm

It looks like an old petrol station/garage sign viewed from a different angle.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:05 pm

Ah well Quark - I tried for you :roll: :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tristan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:49 pm

And what about fierljeppen - guess what it means! :lol: (to pronounce - "fier - ljep - pen" :lol: )
"...my father is the Emperor of Klatch and my mother is a small tray of raspberry puddings."
Tristan

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:53 pm

Tristan wrote:And what about fierljeppen - guess what it means! :lol: (to pronounce - "fier - ljep - pen" :lol: )

Do you know Frisian too? :shock:
HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tristan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:06 pm

I do not speak it (and refuse to, it's so... barbarian :lol: ), but I have picked up some words and I understand the most of it. And a word like fierljeppen... well, you just remember it.

And you, Sjoerd, where are you from? :)
"...my father is the Emperor of Klatch and my mother is a small tray of raspberry puddings."
Tristan

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:18 pm

Well I went to school in Frisia (Lemmer) lived in Creil at that time (very small village in the North East polder)so I have picked up a few words too but I don't speak it and I don't understand it :wink:

Before we moved to Creil we lived in Lelystad and my parents moved back there a few years ago. I live and study in Groningen for a few years now

What's the Dutch word for fierljeppen? Polsstokverspringen?
HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tristan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:24 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:Well I went to school in Frisia (Lemmer) lived in Creil at that time (very small village in the North East polder)so I have picked up a few words too but I don't speak it and I don't understand it :wink:

Before we moved to Creil we lived in Lelystad and my parents moved back there a few years ago. I live and study in Groningen for a few years now

What's the Dutch word for fierljeppen? Polsstokverspringen?

You can't describe the emotions a word as fierljeppen gives you with a simple Dutch word. :lol: But I guess polstokverspringen is correct, mind you! Ah well, I go to school in Leeuwarden, Christelijk Gymnasium Beyers Naudé :lol: (to pronounce: Klsajfposijeowijoirjirfjo) It's a great school, really small, but really gezellig, as we Dutch people would call it. :wink:

And you were studying... history? I have forgotten. And you are in your first/second/third year? What are you thinking fo doing after RUG? :)
Tristan

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:35 pm

fierljeppen sounds more interesting than polsstokverspringen :D

Yup doing History second year also very gezellig :wink: not sure what I'm going to do after I've finished. Maybe there is some work for me at the EU, need to learn French then though :? According to my professors I can write pretty good so maybe I'm going to write some books :D
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:02 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:It does look a little like a watch maybe. Does this help anyone? :P

Granted it's not the Bender or Robby school but that does look quite a bit like a robot doesn't it? :wink:

Perhaps it's what a robot "Be" ... I have to admit that it doesn't look like any of the robots I worked on. :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Quark » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:02 am

I give up. I guess I need to find a new avatar :\
Quark

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:27 pm

ooooo! :lol: that's a good 'un! :wink:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quark » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:31 pm

Ehehehe... :oops: 30 second search. 20 second GIMP resize. You have to love Google.
Quark

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum