How happy are you?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

How happy are you?

Postby Catch-up » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:06 pm

I was with a friend the other day and she was telling me about an appointment she had, (for her hair or a massage or something like that). They had a TV on and something that was on prompted the person (hair stylist, masseuse or whatever) to say, "Who's really happy anyway? No one is really happy."

My friend said she was really taken aback and said kind of timidly, "Well, I'm happy." I felt the same way. We were just struck by the assumption that no one could actually be happy.

I like myself, I'm very happy with my life and feel very lucky to have the people in it that I do. Is everything perfect - of course not. There are things I work on all the time, but overall I feel really happy and incredibly lucky.

Does it strike anyone else odd that someone would say that? Just curious.
Catch-up

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:12 pm

Depends who, but especially when you're asking them I guess. I'm happiest on my own pottering about online, posting, tinkering with images/layouts or forum infrastructures, so at this precise moment I'm pretty much content. :D

Luckily I do get a LOT of time on my own every day, which is just as well atm, 'cos other areas of my life are utter crap if I cared to think about them too much - but mostly I don't bother thinking about that at all so yeah it's OK most of the time. :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Catch-up » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:36 pm

I can definitely understand the when. I'm sure if I'd been asked that while Thing 1 was sick, I would have said "No!"

I'm definitely a count my blessings person.
Catch-up

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:37 pm

On a completely arbitary scale, I would rate myself as having a happiness quotient of 579.
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:14 pm

I suppose it depends on how you define 'happy'. :?

Is contentment the same as happiness? The American Constitution says that all men are entitled to the "pursuit of happiness" - but they don't seen to define what that means. :D

P.S. - I'd say I was happy. :wink:

Edit for spelling. :oops:
Last edited by Tonyblack on Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:29 pm

"Pursuit" :P

So the US Constitution says nothing about women, only men. Probably why Tina is so grumpy! :twisted:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:38 pm

Very difficult to assess on a "whole" basis.

I am definitely happier than I have been at various times in the past, in some other ways I have more stresses. I would put it at about 50/50 atm. I have to be sure about some health issues before I can relax about them.

I Do have times when I am feeling very good, and those are nice. The sad/raging/scared times are really bad lately. I believe and hope that with counseling I will find more ways to deal with problems that are running amok in my subconcious and leaping out and ambushing me at odd and inappropriate times.

Sooo, about 50/50 now, with higher numbers to be hoped for. :D
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:39 pm

poohcarrot wrote:"Pursuit" :P

So the US Constitution says nothing about women, only men. Probably why Tina is so grumpy! :twisted:

:P
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Dotsie » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:41 am

I'm happy :D

A couple of years ago I wasn't, but I'd just started my PhD, was living in a dodgy area by myself, and was missing Mr Dotsie like mad. Water under the bridge.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:59 am

I think if you 'pursue' happiness you're almost bound to have a hard time getting it. In my experience (admittedly wonky I know) the times you're most happy is when you slow down and see what you actually have and can appreciate what's around you and who's with you etc?

Chasing money or 'fortune' is almost bound to get you stressed or obsessive or both - and how many times do we need to be told 'money can't buy you love' because even if you can buy 'love' it's only on a limited basis in terms of time or quality. How many unhappy very rich people do you know? How many talented, beautiful, successful people feel profoundly unhappy because they seem to have it all, but still feel their lives are empty in some respects. Looking frantically for happiness 'as a right' is pointless.

Back to slowing down. There are 'moments' of happiness that burst in on you. Silly things - like a really iron grey stormy sky then you turn the corner and there's the most wonderful vivid rainbow up there. Or listening to a sky-lark singing its heart out. Or cuddling your cat/dog/rabbit in front of roaring log fire, drinking a perfect cup of tea (well hot chocolate in my case obviously... :twisted: ). Your baby/niece smiling at you for the first time. Happiness is more about small things than a great big 'thrilling' chase I think. :wink:
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby bikkit » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:46 pm

I'm very happy and optimistic about everything. Most of the time

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby Trish » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:22 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I suppose it depends on how you define 'happy'.

Is contentment the same as happiness?

The American Constitution says that all men are entitled to the "pursuit of happiness"

As May Wynn said: "Happy is not having a broken leg."

Pleased, contented, accepting, grateful.
None of these are "happy," but happy is a superlative and has become a societal expectation.

Sure, you can chase happiness, but you're SoL if you don't know what makes you happy.
Maybe if if you don't make you happy, you're SoL.

Are you supposed to be happy? Do you have a right to be happy?
No. I think we all have a right to be left alone (which should have been written into the Constitution), but happy?

What if you're sick? Or a child /parent is sick?
Money --real financial reverses. I'll bet there are tens of millions w/out unemployment insurance, health care and housing who are definitely not happy.

Happy is an emotion, relative to what's happening in your life, not a state of being.

Perhaps, it's hope.
Trish

Postby nattheweirdo » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:26 pm

I'm happy at the moment :) I think the thing that makes you unhappy, other than obviously events, is thinking about it. Over analysing life can make you unhappy, I think you should just live life as it comes :)
Samuel Vimes is awesome - Simple as :)
~
Vetinari: Did you really just punch the head of
the assassins guild?
Vimes: Yessir
Vetinari: Why?
Vimes: Didn't have a dagger sir.
nattheweirdo

Postby chris.ph » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:43 pm

my mrs calls me a misery but on poohs arbitary scale im a 350 :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Catch-up » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:02 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:I think if you 'pursue' happiness you're almost bound to have a hard time getting it. In my experience (admittedly wonky I know) the times you're most happy is when you slow down and see what you actually have and can appreciate what's around you and who's with you etc?

I think that's an excellent way of putting it.

Trish wrote:Happy is an emotion, relative to what's happening in your life, not a state of being.

I really do think it's a state of being. I may be unhappy that I just had to pay a $500 car repair bill, but does that make me an unhappy person overall? Nope. Certainly there are worse things that can happen and they can have a huge impact. But overall I think people sweat the small stuff too often. I think having a positive, optimistic attitude and being dedicated to do what you can to change what you don't like can have an amazing impact as well.
Catch-up

Next

Return to The Broken Drum