Life in general....

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:01 pm

kakaze wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:So what's good US cheese, then?

Out of American cheeses, I like Swiss cheese, Monterey Jack, and Cream cheese (particularly on bagles).

I think I remember liking Munster, but I do remember really liking Port Wine, but I haven't eaten it since I was a teenager because it's a little pricey.
The Wiscousin cheddars aren't too bad - but Americans seem to share the idea with the Scots that cheddar should be orange. :lol:

I've also had a very nice, American-made, double-Gloucester with chives. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:13 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
I've also had a very nice, American-made, double-Gloucester with chives. :D

Double Gloucester should ONLY BE MADE in Gloucester *pouts americans steal everything!*
Room still being redecorated but at least I can sleep in my bed!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby kakaze » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:20 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:
Catch-up wrote::lol: We can put anything into a squirty can. 8)

Darn Tootin' we can-can anything, well, maybe not Leather, but we Can put Fake leather in a can. :lol: :twisted:

Actually, I think you can buy spray-on leather at Home Depot.

Tonyblack wrote:The Wiscousin cheddars aren't too bad - but Americans seem to share the idea with the Scots that cheddar should be orange. :lol:

Could be, but I don't like cheddar that much, except a little bit as an ingredient in other stuff (like Mexican food). What's wrong with orange? At least it's not runny and flecked with blue! :shock:
kakaze

Postby chris.ph » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:58 am

so far no original american cheeses just copies of british ones :?
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:51 pm

Except for Monterey Jack? I noticed that too chris :wink:

I think it may be something to so with the widespread national antipathy to dairy products in general and most notably chocolate - which is why 'native' US chocs (and candy as well) is almost without exception so sodding vile :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:14 pm

It's more a case of immigrants moving to the US and taking their country's cheeses with them. :)
Tonyblack

Postby kakaze » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:36 pm

Besides, it's cheese. Whatever else you do, it's basicly acidic curdled milk. They're all going to be a bit similar anyway. And, as Tony said, America is a mixture of several cultures, primarily European, and our food/clothing/music/etc reflect that. :)
kakaze

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:06 pm

kakaze wrote:Besides, it's cheese. Whatever else you do, it's basicly acidic curdled milk. They're all going to be a bit similar anyway. And, as Tony said, America is a mixture of several cultures, primarily European, and our food/clothing/music/etc reflect that. :)

:lol: Tell that to a Frenchman please! :twisted: But wear a hard hat and body armour just to be safe... :D

It depends on what animal it comes from and there's a whole library of aroma, taste and texture involved here depending on how it's kept and what else you put in it (or grows on it) even before you get to colour and shape :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:25 pm

Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:46 pm

Er - cream cheese & Swiss cheese? Or are they branded and not Emmenthal (or whatever) or cream cheese as we know it in the Old World? :P
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:49 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Er - cream cheese & Swiss cheese? Or are they branded and not Emmenthal (or whatever) or cream cheese as we know it in the Old World? :P
It's actually called Swiss Cheese and it's not quite the same as 'real' sSwiss cheese. As for cream cheese - well, Philadelphia is about as American as you can get. :P
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:05 pm

:lol: I only use Philly - or cheaper alternative - to make tuna pate (added taste see!) 8)
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:11 pm

On the subject of Cheese, we ARE called the Melting Pot of the world... it could just as easily be the Fondue Pot of the world... 8)
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby kakaze » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:50 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:
kakaze wrote:Besides, it's cheese. Whatever else you do, it's basicly acidic curdled milk. They're all going to be a bit similar anyway. And, as Tony said, America is a mixture of several cultures, primarily European, and our food/clothing/music/etc reflect that. :)

:lol: Tell that to a Frenchman please! :twisted: But wear a hard hat and body armour just to be safe... :D

It depends on what animal it comes from and there's a whole library of aroma, taste and texture involved here depending on how it's kept and what else you put in it (or grows on it) even before you get to colour and shape :wink:

Yeah, if you say so. ;) They say the same thing about wine, but it all tastes like industrial drain cleaner to me. :P
kakaze

Postby Dotsie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:59 am

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:On the subject of Cheese, we ARE called the Melting Pot of the world...

I've never heard that. Who calls you that?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum