Death Script

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Death Script

Postby Tnecromancer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi. I am fairly sure this should go here.

In one of the novels (hogfather i think, the only one i have read 7 times over) susan mentions, or realises, or thinks, that death is the only "person" on the disc to write in "Serifs". Now serifs isnt really that unusual. I mean the american constitution is printed in Serifs.

Am i thinking of the wrong font. If so, can you help correct me. If not, am i the only one that thinks death should write in gothica or something. Thanks.

Also, a link to the most death like font download would be nice.
Tnecromancer

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:23 pm

I think you may be confusing the font called 'serif' with what an actual serif is. Apologies if I've got that wrong. A definition of serif is:

A short horizontal line added to the tops and bottoms of traditional typefaces, such as Times Roman.

Here's an example of a font with serifs: Image

:D

Incidentally, in Thief of Time Death send Susan a note via Death of Rats that is written in "heavy gothic lettering". That doesn't have serifs at all.

Welcome to the site by the way! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:11 pm

welcome to the site tnecromancer :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:36 pm

WElcome to the site Tnecromancer :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Cheery » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:10 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I think you may be confusing the font called 'serif' with what an actual serif is. Apologies if I've got that wrong. A definition of serif is:

A short horizontal line added to the tops and bottoms of traditional typefaces, such as Times Roman.

Here's an example of a font with serifs: Image

:D

Incidentally, in Thief of Time Death send Susan a note via Death of Rats that is written in "heavy gothic lettering". That doesn't have serifs at all.

Welcome to the site by the way! :D

Yup, Tony, you're absulutely right. And I should know it
Cheery

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:56 pm

In Reaper Man,

"THIS YOU WILL READ" He said. Cyril peered Myopically at the "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo" in heavy gothic script. Somewhere in his tiny mad chicken mind a distinct and chilly understanding formed that he'd better learn to read very, very quickly." Reaper Man... I almost snorted soda out of my nose when I read that.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tnecromancer » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:37 am

VCery true iwith teh gothic but i am sure there is some book where it says (and this is not a direct quote) "Death was teh only person Susan knew who wrote in serifs" The gothic i have got, but the serrifs (of which i was refering to the lines added to top and bottem) i know i have read somewhere. Interesting if i am right, cause that means he used two different fonts for death.

Here is the quote
"Several pages of parchment had been filled up with Death's own handwriting. It was immediately recognizable. No one else Susan had ever met had handwriting with serifs.
It looked as though he'd been trying to work something out.

Not Klatch. Not Howondaland. Not The Empire.
Let Us Say 20 Million Children At 2LB Of Toys Per
Child
Equals 17,857 Tons. 1,785 Tons Per Hour.
Memo: Don't Forget The Sooty Footprints. More
Practice On The Ho Ho Ho
Cushion"
- Hogfather p77 in hard back edition

The list death writes is in a script that isnt in the rest of the book. Can someone drag out their coppy of HF and find what font that is? thanks
Tnecromancer

Postby Polly » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:00 am

Hi I've got the victor gollanz hardback - there's no reference to the type of fonts used on the publishing page.
Polly

Postby Batty » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:56 pm

P121 in the paperback version! Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tnecromancer » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:58 pm

Polly wrote:Hi I've got the victor gollanz hardback - there's no reference to the type of fonts used on the publishing page.

If i have the book, dont you think i already know that.

Nice on the scanning front Batty, by the way. That is the bit. I need that font like i need a heart.
Tnecromancer

Postby Polly » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:04 pm

just trying to help - you didn't mention which HB edition....you asked people to have a look at their copies and let you know. :!:
Polly

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:35 pm

From Batty's scan the 'Death script' is the same typeface as the rest of the book (and not the font which is all the other varieties of that typeface that come in different point sizes, and weights (thin to ultra bold), bold, italics, condensed and expanded etc etc etc - those are all font types of the typeface).

wiki wrote:In typography, a font (also fount) is traditionally defined as a complete character set of a single size and style of a particular typeface. For example, the set of all characters for 9-point Bulmer italic is a font, and the 10-point size would be a separate font, as would the 9 point upright.

So this could be one of any number of Roman (seriffed) typefaces (like Times New Roman, Garamond, Century Schoolbook or Bodoni etc etc and Death's handwriting is in that same Roman typeface as the body text but just rendered / typeset / typed in

initial capitals (INITIAL CAPITALS),

italicised INITIAL CAPITALS and then

probably emboldened (from the looks of it) INITIAL CAPITALS

Regrettably this forum only has Verdana (typeface) character fonts available so I cannot replicate the effect exactly as it appears in the book nor name the actual typeface used in there as my copy of the Hogfather's not handy - so sorry about that.

Polly - I wholly agree :roll:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Tnecromancer wrote:
Polly wrote:Hi I've got the victor gollanz hardback - there's no reference to the type of fonts used on the publishing page.

If i have the book, dont you think i already know that.

Nice on the scanning front Batty, by the way. That is the bit. I need that font like i need a heart.

Does that mean if you have the font you'll start being nice to people and not being so heart-less? :P
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Re: Death Script

Postby Trish » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:35 am

Tnecromancer wrote:... am I the only one that thinks death should write in gothica or something. Thanks.

Yes, you are.

Tnecromancer wrote:Also, a link to the most death like font download would be nice.

It would, wouldn't it.
Trish

Postby Tnecromancer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:07 pm

Wow. That was almost as heartless as me. Nice one. Well, thoes of you that actualy answered my question, thanks, thats a great help. 30 min scripting and i am now MSNing in Deaths Script. To answer an earler question, yes, i will stop being heartless if people just answer my question and take it as read that i know quite a bit about the Disc. not as much as some of you i can imagin but then i do have other interests.

Thanks again

Now if only an admin could lock this post up now
Tnecromancer

Next

Return to The Broken Drum