Granny Weatherwax

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:40 pm

They're both far too grey but the one on the right (as you look at her) is better with the bronzey tone
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby CJDobs » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:17 pm

I thought you got her face more 'right' when it wasn't touched up with wrinkles.

I personally think as well, that Granny has quite a pretty face and softer eyes, but its a face thats used to wearing an adopted scowl if you follow. I always think of the Kidby picture with her shaking the bee out of her ear as being as close to Granny as I see her.

Wish I could draw or paint!
CJDobs

Postby chris.ph » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:56 pm

i like it cj :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby kakaze » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:40 pm

I like the one on the right better too. I also think the wrinkles are wrong. I'm thinking about trying making them thinner and shading them with a darker tan to see if that looks better.

I didn't want to make her skin too dark because she strikes me as a fair-skinned person (lives in a shady environment, spends a lot of time out at night, wears a lot of clothing and a wide-brimmed hat).
kakaze

Postby Susi-Sanna » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:55 pm

Mostly people seem to forget that Terry describes Granny as a beautilful exept the sharp nose
Susi-Sanna

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:06 am

It's shapeing up nicely cj.

Hi Susi-Sanna,welcome to the forum. Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:07 am

Welcome Susi-Sanna :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:26 am

Susi-Sanna wrote:Mostly people seem to forget that Terry describes Granny as a beautilful exept the sharp nose
And welcome from me too! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Batty » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Susi-Sanna wrote:Mostly people seem to forget that Terry describes Granny as a beautilful exept the sharp nose

Welcome! Susi-Sanna.
Feel free to post any observations / corrections / thoughts you have.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby janet » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:24 pm

Granny Weatherwax must be about the most difficult choice to characterise than I can think of. We know much more about her on the inside than her outward appearance. An idea might be to imagine which actress could play her in a film but no one comes to mind right now. I always see her as a taller version of my grandma who had blue eyes and perfect skin. When I was a child she wore her hair drawn severely back in a bun but it was beautiful white hair and I recall watching mesmerised one day as she dressed it one morning. She had an inner serenity and stood no nonsense, I cannot recall ever trying her boundaries. She inspired devotion and was the strongest woman I'll ever know. She knew how to have fun though!
Granny Weatherwax has her soft side......the white kitten.....'meep?' She's the kind of woman animals know instinctively is 'safe'.
Not much help am I? i wouldn't mind having a go at drawing her though.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Trish » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:55 pm

janet wrote:...imagine which actress could play her in a film but no one comes to mind right now.

Barbara Stanwyck.
Trish

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:00 am

Or Katharine Hepburn :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:35 am

Maggie Smith. She' brilliant.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:21 pm

I love Maggie Smith, :D she's my first choice, I think she'd be an excellent Granny, always thought about her for the role, :D
but nice idea about Kathrine Epburn, she's quite regal herself :)
CrysaniaMajere

Postby chris.ph » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:36 pm

laurun becall she has the beauty and the nose :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum