Granny Weatherwax

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Granny Weatherwax

Postby kakaze » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi,

What does Granny Weatherwax look like? In how much detail can we describe her?

Personal Appearance:

Equal Rites wrote: The smith was still staring gloomily at the rain when she came back down the stairs and clapped a warty hand on his shoulder.

Equal Rites wrote:Granny suffered from robustly healthy teeth, which she considered a big drawback in a witch. She really envied Nanny Annaple, the witch over the mountain, who managed to lose all her teeth by the time she was twenty and had real crone-credibility. It meant you ate a lot of soup, but you also got a lot of respect. And then there was warts. Without any effort Nanny managed to get a face like a sockful of marbles, while Granny had tried every reputable wart-causer and failed to raise even the obligatory nose wart.

Clothing:

General: Granny wears well-worn clothing. The material is usually black. She is powerfully attracted to black velvet.

Equal Rites wrote: Granny wasn’t sure she approved of silk, she’d heard it came out of a caterpillar’s bottom, but black velvet had a powerful attraction. Loyalty won.

Equal Rites wrote: “I’ll be off, then,” she said at last. She turned and strode off towards the kitchen entrance. As she did so her cloak swirled out, and Esk saw that it was now lined with red. A dark, winy red, but red nevertheless. On Granny, who had never been known to wear any visible clothing that was other than a serviceable black, it was quite shocking.

Witches Abroad wrote: "That's silly. That's like saying everyone's naked under their clothes," said Magrat.
"Magrat Garlick, may you be forgiven," said Granny Weatherwax.
"Well, it's true!"
"I'm not," said Granny flatly, "I got three vests on."

Hat: standard-shapped witches hat made from black cloth (probably felt) with a supporting willow framework.

A Hat Full of Sky wrote: The old witch walked across the room and tugged the cloth off the thing in the corner. It turned out to be a big wooden spike, just about the size of a pointy hat on a tall stand. A hat was being… constructed on it, with thin strips of willow and pins and stiff black cloth.
‘I make my own,’ she said. ‘Every year. There’s no hat like the hat you make yourself. Take my advice. I stiffens the calico and makes it waterproof with special jollop. It’s amazing what you can put into a hat you make yourself. But you didn’t come to talk about hats.’

Boots: Sturdy boots made out of leather with hobnails and crescent-shaped scads. Known to raise sparks when Granny runs on cobble-stones.

Wyrd Sisters wrote: Granny Weatherwax stretched out her legs and looked at her boots. They were good strong boots, with hobnails and crescent-shaped scads; you couldn't believe a cobbler had made them, someone had laid down a sole and built up from there.

Equal Rites wrote: Cooks and scullery maids darted for cover as the old woman pounded along the slippery flagstones, leapt up the stairs to the courtyard and skidded out into the lane, her shawl flying out behind her and her boots striking sparks from the cobbles. Once out into the open she hitched up her skirts and broke into a full gallop, turning the corner into the main square in a screeching two-boot drift that left a long white scratch across the stones.
Last edited by kakaze on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
kakaze

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:55 pm

Try checking out the artwork for her on the artist's site it's in greater detail.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby kakaze » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:03 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Try checking out the artwork for her on the artist's site it's in greater detail.

Well, that's just it; I want to do my own artwork and I don't want to be unduly influenced by Kidby's work.

On the other hand I want to be as accurate as possible.
kakaze

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:05 am

The hat is the traditional style witches' hat - broad brimmed, pointy and black. There are hat pins in there, but they are serious pins designed to keep the hat in place.

Her shoes are boots. Think of no nonsense, sensible hob-nailed black boots that are meant to last.

Granny doesn't go in for decoration, but she does have a brooch to close her cloak. I'm not sure what that looks like. She wears black not because it looks stylish or occult, but because it's serviceable. Most of her clothes seem to be second hand but good and clean. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby kakaze » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:08 am

didn't I read somewhere that her hatpins have a bat motif? And do her boots have buckles?
kakaze

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:24 am

I don't know about the hat pins - it seems unlikely to me that she'd have bat motifs - it seems the sort of thing she'd turn her nose up at.

As to the boot - I would say no to the buckles. These are just everyday working boots - I could imagine Nanny with buckles, but I'd say no to Granny. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:31 am

We just looked at Hat Full of Sky and it describes Granny fixing a cloak in place with a crescent shaped brooch. :D

Granny has altered in appearance from when we first meet her in Equal Rites. In that one she even wore a cloak lined with red silk. It's very hard to imagine her doing that in later books.

Interestingly, there's a drawing of Granny's hat in the Discworld Companion that does indeed have a pin with a bat on it. :?
Tonyblack

Postby kakaze » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:58 am

Here's what I have so far:

It seems to me that Granny doesn't approve of witches wearing red, unless it's herself. This philosophy applies to every rule.
kakaze

Postby mspanners » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:41 am

I alway though She was a watered down caricature of the Disney Evil Witch from Sleeping Beauty! Warts and all.......... :D
mspanners

Postby Jason » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:04 am

I don't imagine that she would have bare arms. She lives in the ramtops where is it cold a lot of the time.

I've always imagined her in skirt and long sleeve blouse - rather than a smock or dress. I also imagine that she has several layers of underskirt - to keep warm when flying.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Batty » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:15 am

I agree with Jason. I cannot imagine her with bare arms. Wearing several layers also makes sense, although she is quite thin, so she cannot be too bulked out!
Definately boots - something along the lines of hob-nailed Doc Martins!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Batty » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:51 am

I've taken a photo of two Clarecraft figures of Granny.
As Terry had input into their design, it should be a fairly true depiction of her.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:33 am

In WA didn't Granny have a series of vests that she gradually disposed of as they got closer to Genua? I would agree that at home she sticks very much to 'sensible' - definitely long sleeves. No flaunting any bits to the elements or the licentious... Laces for the boots, black for practicality but also for serious, essence of witchiness rather than a fashion statement which is why the hat must be black with no frills at all - straight shiny shafted hatpins with perhaps plain matte black ball heads...

However - when she gets to the city a rather more sartorial Granny surfaces - ER she gets her foot in the door at UU by getting on the good side of the Housekeeper who lets her have some 'nearly new' clothing of which red silk 'calls' in payment for reading the tea leaves...
In Maskerade (WA too at the ball) she needs an opera gown and with spending Nanny's ill-gotten Witch of Lancre publications mazuma she is revealed as having very good facial skin (she can't cultivate a decent wart) well-behaved hair and beautiful feet (from the wearing of sensible boots).

Finally, in L&L she's revealed as a pretty sexy young lady who thoroughly enjoyed running away from the young Mustrum - and is still alluring in a kind of pure priestessly manner. It's those stunning sapphire eyes methinks, after all sapphire is diamond hard whilst being very compelling... :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:16 pm

Isn't one of the banes of her life the fact that she has very clear skin, with nary a wart to be seen?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Granny

Postby CJDobs » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:01 pm

My Two penneth . .

Agree about the warts - Granny is 'blessed' or 'cursed' with fair, unwarty, smooth skin.

Clothing wise, I see layers, vests, cardigans, shawls - all black, all in good condition with many a darned elbow or resewn pocket.

I think her clothing would be like the woman herself, practical, no thrills, no imagery - although I do believe in certain novels, she does allow herself the odd indulgence so maybe a trinket here or there that may stand out as something ornate on a black canvas - because everything is going to be Black, with shades of more washed out black :)

Agree totally with TonyBlacks assessment on Boots - big, practical and hobnailed - definitely no buckles!

I've always liked Kidby's Granny Weatherwax as it really does her justice. Josh Kirby's - like all his characterisations - never did it for me although I do have to say, the overall colour and energy in Josh's pictures were ideal for the Discworld series! May he rest In peace . . . . .

The good thing about books is you draw the characters as you see them, I think with Granny though, a lot of text is provided, outlining exactly what kind of woman she is and what she would wear, For me, she's just too big a presence to mess with!
CJDobs

Next

Return to The Broken Drum