Terry's ideas.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Terry's ideas.

Postby mspanners » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:06 am

Having been a big fan and reread/listened to almost all of the Discworld books I have noticed one or two things, some of Terry's ideas resurface in His book.

One example struck me was the trick where the walking tower was positioned so to look small and fool the clacks into thinking it was the next one in Going Postal and the trick where the Girls used a signal box and blocked the the end to make the signal look like it was far away in Monstrous Regiment..... not that I am criticising as I still enjoy these books... any one else spotted rehashed ideas? :shock:
mspanners

Postby Lady Vetinari » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:09 am

I must admit I don't read that closely and I want to read Going Postal again as I didn't quite understand the ending first time around... Preferred the ending of Making Money I got that one straight away ...

But I suppose it is inevitable - with the amount he's written that some ideas resurface - particularly if he loved them in the first place.
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:54 am

Like the island of Leshp from Jingo - that was mentioned in one of his earliest books (pre Mort anyway) but as usual I've forgotten which one as I reread them a few months back
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Catch-up » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:20 pm

I've noticed it, but I have to admit just the stuff that's more general, nothing as specific as the comparison you've made. I'll have to pay closer attention!
Catch-up

Re: Terry's ideas.

Postby Trish » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:26 pm

mspanners wrote:...some of Terry's ideas resurface in His book.

..The trick where the walking tower was positioned so to look small and fool the clacks into thinking it was the next one in Going Postal and the trick where the Girls used a signal box and blocked the the end to make the signal look like it was far away in Monstrous Regiment..... any one else spotted rehashed ideas?

Not rehashed. People the world over have been known to come up with similar ideas simealtaneously.
Besides, it's cool. Close or far, it's about outwitting The Man.
Trish

Postby Terry f » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:12 pm

Have been reading his books for twenty years at least and if it fits into the narrative why worry just enjoy :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Terry f

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:56 pm

There is another submerged continent on a map in a book, and I loved the walking tower bit in Going Postal, Especially the bit where Mad Adrian or was it Undecided? who was hanging from the sail bit with an owl on his shoulder and mildly griping, then said ""Ere now it is trying to stuff a dead mouse in my ear" in an aggrieved manner :lol: :lol: Too Much!! Re-hash as much as you want Mr. Pratchett/Terry comedians have been doing for thousands of years.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby mspanners » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 am

Yep His books are the tops!

Terry also has a habit of dropping the names of other people from other Discworld tales in His books.

The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents are hinted at in one of the other books.

Can't recall which book hit happened in,but I bet someone will!! :shock:

I think it was when Nobby was chatting with Fred about a con trick and how they had been found out.... I think!

Can't recall exactly to be Honest, but it is one example that stuck in my mind!! :lol:
mspanners

Postby kakaze » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:52 pm

mspanners wrote:Yep His books are the tops!

Terry also has a habit of dropping the names of other people from other Discworld tales in His books.

The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents are hinted at in one of the other books.

Can't recall which book hit happened in,but I bet someone will!! :shock:

I think it was when Nobby was chatting with Fred about a con trick and how they had been found out.... I think!

Can't recall exactly to be Honest, but it is one example that stuck in my mind!! :lol:

It's in Reaper Man

"Anyway," said the Dean, "it's dangerous. I've always felt that he only stays in the octogram for the look of the thing. I hate it when he peers at you and seems to be counting."
"Yes," said the Senior Wrangler. "We don't need to do that. We get over most things. Dragons, monsters. Rats. Remember the rats last year? Seemed to be everywhere. Lord Vetinari wouldn't listen to us, oh no. He paid that glib bugger in the red and yellow tights a thousand gold pieces to get rid of ‘em."
"It worked, though," said the Lecturer in Recent Runes.
"Of course it bloody worked," said the Dean. "It worked in Quirm and Sto Lat as well. He'd have got away with it in Pseudopolis as well if someone hadn't recognised him. Mr. so-called Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents!"
"It's no good trying to change the subject," said Ridcully. "We're going to do the Rite of AshKente. Right?"
kakaze

Postby mspanners » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:48 am

Well done kakaze ! :)

Dont know why I thought it nobby and Fred ! :shock:
mspanners

Golem Army

Postby CJDobs » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:37 am

I think the buried Golem Army in Going Postal was very similar to Interesting Times , both being based on the Terracota Army o'course. Just felt at the time of reading, 'he's done this before . . . . '

:)
CJDobs

Postby Batty » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:33 pm

As long as the story flows I don't mind if some of it is duplicated.

Terry is a wordsmith, and it is perfectly understandable (considering the amount of books and words written) that an idea or three will be similar.

He is still the best author that I have read.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby mspanners » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:28 pm

No doubt He has something that a lot of others lack....... a really vivid imagination! Even when He is recycling ideas...... 8)
mspanners

Return to The Broken Drum