Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Wendybird » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:29 pm

Lady Vetinari wrote:Want me to do it?

Yes please!

Thank you Lady V xoxoxo
Aho! The Megapode!
Wendybird

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:21 pm

Wendybird wrote:...... I preferred the cute little animal in the cupboard with Andi Peters! Damn what was his name! LOL

Gordon! Gordon the Gopher! Yay! I remembered!

(now I am gonna be in trouble coz I would love a thread with all the old puppet type characters and UK known cartoon and kid shows in it! Imagine the US accepting Rainbow? Or Andy Pandy?)

LOL :shock:

Re Gordon - his partner was Philip Schofield although maybe Andi inherited him. I much preferred Larry the Loafer the spoof version of Gordon by the genius known as Brian Connolly

It's a Puppet!
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Wendybird » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:26 pm

OMG I forgot about that!

It's a Puppet! lol

Was it really Old Phlip Schofield originally? Wow! Now that my mind is heading back into the old memories I agree. God I am getting so forgetful!

So!

Where was I?

:shock:
Aho! The Megapode!
Wendybird

Postby Catch-up » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:30 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a great thread! We should have digressed sooner. :wink: It's so reassuring that we haven't cornered the market on stupidity. :lol: Having traveled abroad and having worked for years at a hotel attached to an international airport, I sometimes got that reassurance first hand. :shock:
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Lady Vetinari wrote:By the way why don't you Americans pronounce the H in Herbs?

:lol: I have no idea! Why don't you pronounce the U in colour? :wink:
Catch-up

Postby nattheweirdo » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:40 pm

Catch-up wrote:
Lady Vetinari wrote:By the way why don't you Americans pronounce the H in Herbs?

an american i knew via the internet tried to have an arguement about having 'our' in words rather 'or' :lol:
Samuel Vimes is awesome - Simple as :)
~
Vetinari: Did you really just punch the head of
the assassins guild?
Vimes: Yessir
Vetinari: Why?
Vimes: Didn't have a dagger sir.
nattheweirdo

Postby chris.ph » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:50 pm

wot ave i missed then ,i thought we had had this arguement about proper english and american english b4 :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Lady Vetinari » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:12 pm

Catch-up wrote:

My mum had this debate with an American - he agreed that the U made the word Colour much nicer. He hated the american way of spelling ... :lol: hmm ... would the Bush Administration have had his figgin toasted for Treachery?
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Catch-up » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:33 pm

chris.ph wrote:wot ave i missed then ,i thought we had had this arguement about proper english and american english b4 :lol:

We did! It seems doomed to repeat itself. I actually thought I left it behind after four or five times on another forum! :roll: :lol:
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:37 pm

Lady Vetinari wrote:
Catch-up wrote:

My mum had this debate with an American - he agreed that the U made the word Colour much nicer. He hated the american way of spelling ... :lol: hmm ... would the Bush Administration have had his figgin toasted for Treachery?

Awww. That was sweet of him. I can survive reading "color" with or without a U, because I know what it says either way. :wink: I have other, more important things to get irritated about. :lol:

And, apologies, I no longer take Bush questions. I had eight, unwanted years of them, and I'm not going back to it. Thank goodness!
Catch-up

Postby kakaze » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:19 am

Tonyblack wrote:Sorry - I was trying to build the excitement. :wink:

In the bit where the monk who was in charge of operating the procrastinators and got killed, he talks to Death. Death apologises for being late and Shoblang says something like: "I'm sorry for being late too - Boom, boom!"

In the US version the 'boom, boom' translates to 'badda boom'.

Of course every Brit who has ever watched Basil Brush will know what 'boom, boom' means, but it doesn't seem to translate to US English. :D

"badda bing, badda boom" is used to indicate that something (usually a joke or comedy routine) has finished. The origin is unclear, but most people think that it evolved from the rimshot that drummers used to play after comedian's jokes.

Dotsie wrote:
Catch-up wrote: I've come to realize that there isn't an equivalent over there to what we call biscuits here. All of which I think is great fun! :D

I kind of have a feeling what American biscuits are, but I've never had any proof :? If an American talks about biscuits I think about those things on the top of a cobbler (we might really be getting into inknown territory here :lol: ). It's like lumps of really thick pastry on top of a savoury casserole, eventually they soak up the gravy & go soggy. Yum!

What I think of when I hear the word "biscuit" is a hard, unfrosted, cracker-like cookie.

However, we do have "biscuits and gravy" but when outside of that dish I usually hear them called "rolls".

Wendybird wrote:Spit the Dog?

All I can say is WTF? :shock:

Catch-up wrote:

After teaching the stuff for four years, I can attest that we have one the the most screwed-up languages in the world.

My favorite non-rule is:

"I before E, except after C, but not if it sounds like A (as in weigh)".

which is the official version, but I've found it necessary to add:

"And except for weird, foreign words."
kakaze

Postby Lady Vetinari » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:02 am

I must admit there are certain things I like with that the americans have that we spell a bit silly ...

Aluminum ... much easier to write than Aluminium ... and my favourite American spelling ... Center - to centre - why we spell it re and not er is beyond me!

I do prefer Travelling though ...

Catch-Up - me too, having more important things to worry about that is, but you won't believe the amount of people who take Fanfiction so seriously you have to have an EDITOR for it! It's fanfiction not going to get published and another persons world that you're taking ... it's a bit of fun! Grrr... and the fact that some of them don't get the English way of colloquiallising our language (making for some interesting dictionary adds on Word!)

I did a Snape wallpaper and put Darke Knight on it ... An American said: You do realise there is a spelling mistake in Darke ... She did not understand that was YE OLDE ENGLISH ... Can tell she never read any Pratchett - the amount of intentional mistakes he has in there would make her hair curl!

I am no Nationalist but I am proud of the English language - I love coming from the same country as Shakespeare, Dickens, Austen, Ronnie Barker, Terry Pratchett the Monty Python crew ... and even Rowling has some good turns of phrase in her books ... And of course my ancestor Joseph Addison contributed poetry and essays to the English language. Addison Way - the pathway Tolkien and Lewis had their famous theological debate - was named after my ancestor as he was an Oxford Don!

chris.ph - I think this is my fault - :oops: I just love discussing language I am fascinated by its changes through the different eras and how it has changed over the pond too. Sorry, will you forgive me?
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Dotsie » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:47 am

Lady Vetinari wrote:Aluminum ... much easier to write than Aluminium ...

And of course it was named aluminum by Humphry Davy, who discovered it. But the Royal Society preferred aluminium, and overruled him :roll:

Lady Vetinari wrote:and my favourite American spelling ... Center - to centre - why we spell it re and not er is beyond me!

Well I couldn't say for sure, but that's probably got something to do with the French.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby nattheweirdo » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:36 am

Dotsie wrote:
Lady Vetinari wrote:Aluminum ... much easier to write than Aluminium ...

And of course it was named aluminum by Humphry Davy, who discovered it. But the Royal Society preferred aluminium, and overruled him :roll:

also with the elements it's with in the periodic table, most end in 'ium', we had to all about that in chemistry recently :)
Samuel Vimes is awesome - Simple as :)
~
Vetinari: Did you really just punch the head of
the assassins guild?
Vimes: Yessir
Vetinari: Why?
Vimes: Didn't have a dagger sir.
nattheweirdo

Postby Catch-up » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:42 pm

The aluminum/ium issue is always a big one in these discussions! :lol: In fact, I'd never heard it called aluminium until my first English vs American English discussion.

Lady V, you should be proud of that history! I certainly understand that feeling. I have a great amount of pride in Mark Twain, Emily Dickenson, Edgar Allen Poe, John Steinbeck and Walt Whitman. And contemporary authors like Maya Angelou (who's voice I could listen to 24/7!), and Hemmingway. If I had to pick someone today who's comperable to Pratchett, in terms of how much I enjoy his work, it would be Christopher Moore. If you haven't read any of his books, give one a try, they're hysterical! :lol: Even his blog gets me laughing out loud. America certainly had it's Ye Olde English/optional spelling period and students certainly get exposed to it in history and literature classes. But certainly it was a shorter peroid here than there. I think Americans are more used to language being a fluid, evolving thing. Although, there have been some changes in England regarding language recently that I have found surprising and I know sparked quite a bit of debate over there!

And, Dotsie, I think you're right about the French.
Catch-up

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum