You Say Tomato

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:14 pm

My friend Lorraine just got back from Maryland and a guy asked her where she was from. She told him the UK so he started to speak French to her. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:15 pm

I LOVE Eddie Izzard! He was on David Letterman when I first saw him and the audience had no idea what to make of him.

The next time I saw him twas on a Monty Python dvd as the host... he is sooo funny.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:17 pm

Tonyblack wrote:My friend Lorraine just got back from Maryland and a guy asked her where she was from. She told him the UK so he started to speak French to her. :lol:

That is just sad, I am soo ashamed of the lack of education in American schools. Jay Leno has street quizzes and you would be amazed at the idiots we have over here.... I think you Brits took ALL the village idiots along with the blasted Puritans and sent them here on purpose.... :evil: Just kidding... well, looks around... still not sure :lol: :lol:

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:19 pm

They have those street quizzes over here too - and the Brits are just as stupid. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:22 pm

Tonyblack wrote:They have those street quizzes over here too - and the Brits are just as stupid. :lol:

Ahh, then you kept at least a few... :lol:

As for the Haitch in Herbs, I think we are being Snooty and there are just too many men with the name Herbert, and being a basically dumbed down country, well, self explainitory, or is it Explanitory, Aargh.

Postby Wendybird » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:47 pm

I LOVE the problems that we come across with the language difference and the different meanings.

I have many US friends and the conversations we have (insert IM here lol) can be hysterical!

I have learned so many different meanings to words that to me are so innocent but to my US mates are hysterical!

eg: one of my cats is called Tooshy.

Seemed innocent enough to me but apparently my cat is actually called Bum, Butt, or even arse! lol

Imagine the reaction when I said I was just going outside for a fag......... :roll:
Aho! The Megapode!
Wendybird

Postby Dotsie » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:48 pm

Tonyblack wrote:My friend Lorraine just got back from Maryland and a guy asked her where she was from. She told him the UK so he started to speak French to her. :lol:

Now that's hilarious! :lol: The guy was obviously educated enough to speak French, just not enough to know which are the Fench-speaking countries :roll:

BTW, I share an office with students (British) who thought that mustard gas was made from mustard :shock:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:56 pm

Wendybird wrote:I LOVE the problems that we come across with the language difference and the different meanings.

I have many US friends and the conversations we have (insert IM here lol) can be hysterical!

I have learned so many different meanings to words that to me are so innocent but to my US mates are hysterical!

eg: one of my cats is called Tooshy.

Seemed innocent enough to me but apparently my cat is actually called Bum, Butt, or even arse! lol

Imagine the reaction when I said I was just going outside for a fag......... :roll:
Yes, 'fanny' has a different meaning over in the US too. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Wendybird » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:57 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Now that's hilarious! :lol: The guy was obviously educated enough to speak French, just not enough to know which are the Fench-speaking countries :roll:

BTW, I share an office with students (British) who thought that mustard gas was made from mustard :shock:

It's not?

Seriously? I need to Google this now!

Seriously? I was sure I read something about it being made from some kind of mustard seed lol. Just goes to show how stoopid some of us are!
lol
Aho! The Megapode!
Wendybird

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:58 pm

Dotsie wrote:Now that's hilarious! :lol: The guy was obviously educated enough to speak French, just not enough to know which are the Fench-speaking countries :roll:

There are Bird Language Countries? Is that a particularly special Boom Boom Bird? :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

Postby Wendybird » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:00 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Yes, 'fanny' has a different meaning over in the US too. :lol:

What you mean it's not the weird cooking woman who scared her hubby to alcohol?
Aho! The Megapode!
Wendybird

Postby Wendybird » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:07 pm

Slightly outside of the current conversation but I hated Basil Brush with a vengeance!

Always seemed to remind me of a dirty old man with his "boom boom".

I preferred the cute little animal in the cupboard with Andi Peters! Damn what was his name! LOL

Gordon! Gordon the Gopher! Yay! I remembered!

(now I am gonna be in trouble coz I would love a thread with all the old puppet type characters and UK known cartoon and kid shows in it! Imagine the US accepting Rainbow? Or Andy Pandy?)

LOL :shock:
Aho! The Megapode!
Wendybird

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:14 pm

Wendybird wrote:Slightly outside of the current conversation but I hated Basil Brush with a vengeance!

Always seemed to remind me of a dirty old man with his "boom boom".

I preferred the cute little animal in the cupboard with Andi Peters! Damn what was his name! LOL

Gordon! Gordon the Gopher! Yay! I remembered!

(now I am gonna be in trouble coz I would love a thread with all the old puppet type characters and UK known cartoon and kid shows in it! Imagine the US accepting Rainbow? Or Andy Pandy?)

LOL :shock:
:lol: Go ahead and start a TV nostalgia thread. I'm sure it would be popular. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Wendybird » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:26 pm

Tonyblack wrote: :lol: Go ahead and start a TV nostalgia thread. I'm sure it would be popular. :wink:

Really?

I wouldn't know where to start! lol

Crystal Tips and Alaister? (sp)
Mr Benn?
Sooty and Sweep?
Spit the Dog?

OMG

Spit the Dog! and there was that horrible little thingy that used to spit at the screen! What was it's name? Pob? Poob? Pootle?

Camberwick Green
Trumpton
Oh oh oh what was the one with the pirate ship? Captain Pugwash! Wow the rumours about that one! LOL

Omg I could go on forever!

Better I DON'T start the thread lol or I will just ramble on forever!
Aho! The Megapode!
Wendybird

Postby Lady Vetinari » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:28 pm

Want me to do it?
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum