You Say Tomato

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:02 pm

:lol: Yes, I remember when I first joined the CA forum, I would read something and think... "I'm pretty sure that can't mean what I think it means..." But, I would just ask, and being another wonderful group, they explained everything I asked about. And then I had a lot of fun fielding their questions! :D
Catch-up

Postby Lady Vetinari » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObV_fHTMa2s&feature=related

There you go ... a little old Basil Brush ...
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Dotsie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:00 pm

Catch-up wrote: I've come to realize that there isn't an equivalent over there to what we call biscuits here. All of which I think is great fun! :D

I kind of have a feeling what American biscuits are, but I've never had any proof :? If an American talks about biscuits I think about those things on the top of a cobbler (we might really be getting into inknown territory here :lol: ). It's like lumps of really thick pastry on top of a savoury casserole, eventually they soak up the gravy & go soggy. Yum!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Batty » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:12 pm

Dotsie, are you talking about dumplings??
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Catch-up » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:21 pm

:lol: I'm wondering if some biscuits would survive being shipped overseas? Here's the Wiki descripton of a biscuit, it's better than I could explain:

In American English, a "biscuit" is a small bread made with baking powder or baking soda as a leavening agent rather than yeast (although a type of biscuit called an 'angel biscuit' contains yeast as well, as do those made with a sourdough starter). This roughly corresponds to a "scone" in British English usage. Biscuits, soda breads, and corn bread, among others, are often referred to collectively as "quick breads" to indicate that they do not need time to rise before baking.[3][4]

Biscuits have a firm browned crust and a soft interior, similar to British scones or the bannock from the Shetland Isles. A sweet biscuit layered or topped with fruit (typically strawberries), juice-based syrup, and cream is called shortcake. In Canada, both sweet and savory are referred to as "biscuits," "baking powder biscuits," or "tea biscuits," although "scone" is also starting to be used.[citation needed]

Biscuits are a common feature of Southern U.S. cuisine and are often made with buttermilk. They are traditionally served as a side dish with a meal. As a breakfast item they are often eaten with butter and a sweet condiment such as molasses, light sugarcane syrup, sorghum syrup, honey, or fruit jam or jelly. With other meals they are usually eaten with butter or gravy instead of sweet condiments. However, biscuits and gravy (biscuits covered in country gravy) are usually served for breakfast, sometimes as the main course.

And I think what you described for the savory casseroles sounds like a dumpling, which has a very different consistancy.
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:23 pm

Here's a good picture:

Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:56 pm

Lady Vetinari wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObV_fHTMa2s&feature=related

There you go ... a little old Basil Brush ...

Finally got a chance to watch this. He's a cutie!
Catch-up

Postby Lady Vetinari » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:17 pm

Cute yes ... but parents at the time didn't think so ... they were the Rag Tag and Bobtail generation ... And I doubt I can find them on youtube as they are REALLY old Brit cartoons.

Lady Vetinari

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:04 pm

We found Tales of the Riverbank on youtube a few months back - here's Rag Tag & Bobtail :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:23 am

Batty wrote:Dotsie, are you talking about dumplings??

No, I was thinking about scones so I was right then! But I didn't know they were sweet as well, hence the savoury cobbler reference.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:57 pm

Mmmmm Biscuits and Gravy, ahh, Food of the Gods if the sausage gravy is right.... egads I am glad I cannot afford to eat out much, I would weigh 400 lbs easy. LOL :lol: I am becoming fond of Swedish pancakes, sort of like Crepes but a little thicker, I think... drool. :twisted:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:19 pm

As this seems to have turned into a thread about the differences between Americans and Brits?Europeans, I've split it from the Discussion Group thread and given it a place of it's own. :)

Tony
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:11 pm

LMAO I wondered where it came from. Better than twiddling thumbs, eh? oh BTW, Knocking Boots would have been more appropo I think, blasted editors over here think they know everything. At least Isaac Asimov knew that feeling from both sides and was able to not take himself too doggone seriously.

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Lady Vetinari » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:11 pm

One of my favourite comedians Eddie Izzard did a show in San Fransisco and he had a red neck American com up to him and said:

"You British? you British?"

His reply, "Yeah..." like I wanted to say, No I'm from Mars actually...

"Talk British to my kids!"

My only brush with Americans was when I was lost looking around a ruined castle near where I live... (Goodrich I think!) when a large, Roseanne Barr lookalike shouted: "GOSH YOU ENGLISH ARE SO LUCKY HAVING THESE RUINED CASTLES!" I did not even speak ... was a neon sign hovering over my head: "Lost parents but am English so SCARE ME!" And her husband/partner was a John Goodman lookalike ... :shock:

Another one said: "You come to North Carolina... we'll have you married in a week!"

SCARY AMERICANS!

By the way why don't you Americans pronounce the H in Herbs?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:12 pm

Gee, imagine us going off topic... Look! Over there!! *runs away*

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum