You Say Tomato

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:43 pm

just to add we say leftenant in the uk forces not leuitenant as the american forces say and we both spell it the same :?
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Terry f » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:23 pm

Sorry but my ex comes from cornwall and spoke s totally different language to me so what hope do people a continent away have!! :twisted:
Terry f

Postby nattheweirdo » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:11 pm

Terry f wrote:Sorry but my ex comes from cornwall and spoke s totally different language to me so what hope do people a continent away have!! :twisted:

I know the feeling! In my spanish class we were discussing local devon words with my cornish teacher and she said she'd never heard the word mitching until moving to out town (mitching meaning bunking off school, skiving playing hookey- call it was you may) and a boy who ahd just moved here from the isle of wight piped up asking what the hell mitching was. apparently it's called wagging in cornwall o.0
Samuel Vimes is awesome - Simple as :)
~
Vetinari: Did you really just punch the head of
the assassins guild?
Vimes: Yessir
Vetinari: Why?
Vimes: Didn't have a dagger sir.
nattheweirdo

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:20 pm

Over here tis called TRUANCY.. but, we called it skipping or ditching. Wagging just sounds Naughtier than skipping school!!
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby nattheweirdo » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:31 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:Wagging just sounds Naughtier than skipping school!!

exactly thee reaction of my entire spanish class :lol: try saying that to a class of 15 and 16 year olds and getting awway with it!
~
the assassins guild?
nattheweirdo

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:46 pm

Oh, I can imagine... I deal with paintball, I get to tell men to grab their balls every weekend and it never gets old!! My son keeps getting embarrassed and telling me "Call it Paint Ma!!" hehehe I am just evil :twisted: Bachelor parties are the best for that.

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby nattheweirdo » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:56 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:Oh, I can imagine... I deal with paintball, I get to tell men to grab their balls every weekend and it never gets old!! My son keeps getting embarrassed and telling me "Call it Paint Ma!!" hehehe I am just evil :twisted: Bachelor parties are the best for that.

I know exactly what you mean. They made innuendo about atoms bonding in chemistry even! :lol:
~
the assassins guild?
nattheweirdo

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:00 am

hehehe Covalent bonds... and I am not sure tis spelled right.

Postby nattheweirdo » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:06 am

spelt correctly, covalent bond - the sharing of electrons ( immature boys titter) ionic bonding - the gving of elctrons (louder titter). it doesn't help the my cheemistry teacher understands stands this and considering there are 4 girls in the group this can't turn out well, he demostrates using language that will amke them laugh...epeverse in toehr words, but hey they remmeber it xD
~
the assassins guild?
nattheweirdo

Postby Dotsie » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:22 am

As I recall, adolescent boys will laugh at anything :roll: It often lingers into the twenties... if it's still there in the thirties, kick him out!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:12 pm

In french we laughed at the French word for Bank (Le Bonk!)
In German we laughed at the German words for father and Exit .... (Vater and Ausfarht!)
Same the world over and I should imagine the same from centuries - if there was ever innocent words that may have another meaning adolescents (particulalrly boys!) will laugh.
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby nattheweirdo » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:33 pm

Romeo and Juliet is another rather perverse play to do with teenage boys... :lol:
~
the assassins guild?
nattheweirdo

Postby Trish » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:51 am

Language is more particular to region that country, especially between the UK and the US.
Not so much a matter of accents as it is words in ordinary usage peculiar to a region.
Trish

Postby chris.ph » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:44 pm

Dotsie wrote:As I recall, adolescent boys will laugh at anything :roll: It often lingers into the twenties... if it's still there in the thirties, kick him out!

your wrong dotsie, im 40 and still laugh at double entendres and she hasnt kicked me out yet :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:41 pm

chris.ph wrote:
Dotsie wrote:As I recall, adolescent boys will laugh at anything :roll: It often lingers into the twenties... if it's still there in the thirties, kick him out!

your wrong dotsie, im 40 and still laugh at double entendres and she hasnt kicked me out yet :lol:

'Ere now, between You and that Great Beasty you Call a dog, I cannot imagine why... :twisted:

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum