Roman Polanski

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:24 pm

By all accounts the 13 year-old was sexually active and her mother knew that drugs would be involved.

But Polanski didn't kill anybody.

Moist Von Lipwig was responsible for approx 2.89 deaths.

Ted Kennedy was directly responsible for at least one death, possibly more through his IRA fund-raising.

Yet all three of these characters are respected by some and loathed by others.

Makes you think doesn't it?
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:28 pm

cols wrote:
mspanners wrote:If He done the crime then He should do the time.....

I am not a great believer in allowing famous or rich people being able to pay with cash for recompense for their actions or getting off because they are famous and can afford a good solicitor in court that gets them off on a technicality.....

if anyone were to drug a person irrespective of age or gender and then take advantage of them then they should be banged up full stop.

And if the Mother knew the situation prior to this happening then She should be in front of a Judge for neglect!


I agree, I don't care how much cash he handed over .

If he is allowed to walk because he paid off the victim what is the difference between him and someone paying for child prostitution... THERE IS NONE

He needs to be held accountable


I AGREE!!!!!!!!!! You cannot just pay off somebody and expect the law to say "Oh, well, you are rich and since you gave her mother some money, it's all ok"
I was abused at that age by a neighbor and my mother made me swear not to tell anyone because my Father would have killed him and we would lose the house... in other words, she equated me being abused with the loss of HER house, then convinced my Dad that the fact that I was acting out for four months meant I was poisoning the family.

I kept that damn secret and my father had me sent to a "Christian" brain washing camp in the Dominican Republic, which the leader was so proud of because they could beat us since US law did not apply. That place was full of pedophiles too.

Pedophiles should pay for their crime.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
User avatar
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit
Member
 
Posts: 3885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Catch-up » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:30 pm

poohcarrot wrote:By all accounts the 13 year-old was sexually active and her mother knew that drugs would be involved.

But Polanski didn't kill anybody.

Moist Von Lipwig was responsible for approx 2.89 deaths.

Ted Kennedy was directly responsible for at least one death, possibly more through his IRA fund-raising.

Yet all three of these characters are respected by some and loathed by others.

Makes you think doesn't it?


And your argument is.... that makes it ok?

Pooh, I realize that the United States is not your favorite country. That does not bother me in the least. I can have pride in my nationality without being a cheerleader for everything our government does (actually that's one of the most beautiful things about being an American :wink: ).

However I do get very bothered when someone tries to justify a horrible, inexcusable act. That is what makes me think.
User avatar
Catch-up
Member
 
Posts: 7023
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:19 am
Location: Michigan, U.S.A.

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:36 pm

poohcarrot wrote:By all accounts the 13 year-old was sexually active and her mother knew that drugs would be involved.

But Polanski didn't kill anybody. HE RAPED A CHILD!!!!!!!!

Moist Von Lipwig was responsible for approx 2.89 deaths. IN A DAMN STORY!!
Ted Kennedy was directly responsible for at least one death, possibly more through his IRA fund-raising. HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN PUNISHED!! HE DIED OF BRAIN CANCER, A BIT OF JUSTICE
Yet all three of these characters are respected by some and loathed by others.

Makes you think doesn't it?


My life has been irrepairably changed and harmed by those events... I will NEVER be able to forget what occurred to me. Pedophiles SHOULD BE PUNISHED!!
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
User avatar
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit
Member
 
Posts: 3885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:00 pm

What? No Smart Arse Remark to a Victim? Huh? Just because more than a few Oriental countries allow the selling and slavery of children does NOT make ANY of it OK AT ALL!!!

The Mother Aided and ABBETTED the CRIME!
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
User avatar
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit
Member
 
Posts: 3885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby cols » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:09 pm

Children are children and no excuse in the world is worth spit for destroying them, I get so MAD that anyone would even debate that it's not the most disgusting of crimes

And Tina you're right the mother Abetted a crime and she is just as foul as he is for allowing it
User avatar
cols
Member
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:47 pm
Location: ireland

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:54 pm

I am not, or have ever, tried to justify the crime or condone the crime.

Anyone who has sex with a 13 year-old should go to prison for a long time/or be sterilised.

The only thing I find wrong in this whole affair is the way he was arrested.

For example, some people might think the US should be allowed to arrest anyone they choose when they are invited to New York to speak at the UN. Why not? Get rid of the President of Iran, Venezuala, North Korea, Russia and anyone else who has different views.

And this extradition lark is a one-way street.
When is the US going to extradite Posada?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/di ... =405x11153
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Postby Catch-up » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:18 am

poohcarrot wrote:I am not, or have ever, tried to justify the crime or condone the crime.


Uh.. sorry, but this..

poohcarrot wrote:By all accounts the 13 year-old was sexually active and her mother knew that drugs would be involved.

But Polanski didn't kill anybody.


... sounded exactly like you were trying to justify the crime.

poohcarrot wrote:The only thing I find wrong in this whole affair is the way he was arrested.

For example, some people might think the US should be allowed to arrest anyone they choose when they are invited to New York to speak at the UN. Why not? Get rid of the President of Iran, Venezuala, North Korea, Russia and anyone else who has different views.

And this extradition lark is a one-way street.
When is the US going to extradite Posada?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/di ... =405x11153


What is your issue exactly? You started the thread about Roman Polanski. Do you really believe he is being unjustly arrested or are you just mad that the Swiss are cooperating with the U.S.?

What does Posada have to do with Polanski? Is your argument now something along the lines of ".. this guy hasn't been sent back to Venezuela, so why should Roman Polanski go to jail"? Do you really believe that?

I think you need to take some time and think about what your argument really is here. If it were Spain that wanted Switzerland to extradite someone in this same way, would you have even started a thread about it? (Taking bets for $10 against.. all going to Alzheimers! :wink: )

So you think he should go to jail but you don't think the Swiss should extradite him for fear that they'll look weak. The law should be upheld, but only if it doesn't irritate you that the U.S. "snapped it's fingers" to do it?

You're obviously not a big fan of the United States government. Join the large club who disagree with some of the things it does. Many of whom are Americans themselves. But, please, if you're going to have a hissy fit over something, let's not argue that a pedophile should be freed over it. Ok?
User avatar
Catch-up
Member
 
Posts: 7023
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:19 am
Location: Michigan, U.S.A.

Postby kakaze » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:47 am

poohcarrot wrote:The only thing I find wrong in this whole affair is the way he was arrested.


I have to disagree. He was arrested in America and fled the country while on bail to avoid prossicution (however you spell it). He left his home country (which was protecting him as per tradition) and visited a third country that honored an extratition treaty that it had with America.

If anything, the only thing I find wrong with the way the entire case was handled are:

1. Allowing the man to leave the country before his trial, and

2. France's actions in protecting him.
kakaze
Member
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:42 am

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:49 am

Polanski should go to jail and if Switzerland has a treaty with the US they should respect it and hand Polanski over(and even if they don't have a treaty they should still hand him over so he can be punished). France should have sent Polanski back the moment he entered the country. You can't let a Pedophile go free
HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
User avatar
Sjoerd3000
Member
 
Posts: 8824
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:23 pm
Location: Lelystad, The Netherlands

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:22 am

From what I can tell everyone here seems to agree that Polanski should be punished for his crime. The only thing that seems to be a sticking point is whether Switzerland should extradite him to the US.

The US is where the crime was committed and he's a wanted man there. If he was wanted in (for example) Australia, one would hope that Switzerland, or any other country would extradite him there.

I really don't see why there should be a problem with this. Just because he may be sent to the US shouldn't make a difference and trying to make a case that this is somehow sinister seems a bit pointless.

So an discussion we all agree on - how rare is that? :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 29316
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:34 am

All I would say on the debate is - why now?

Polanski should have been punished for this years ago and so should the mother of the girl concerned. Yes he skipped bail but please don't try to tell me that the US could not followed that up far more vigorously at the time and during the scandalously long period before his arrest this week.

Had he remained in the US and with a no doubt excellent legal team presenting his case, the court, having accepted a plea bargain and referred him for psychiatric tests, which, had he stayed for sentencing, even if the that report had been disregarded, he would have long since served any sentence, suspended or custodial (the latter after contravening bail conditions). I don't know what happened with the mother of Samantha Geimer, as she now is, but her 'role' in the crime would have been used to great effect by the defence. However, at the end of the day Polanski RAPED this child, whom he knew at the time, to be a minor (see Wiki article HERE). Not statutory rape - proper, sqalid, unjustifiable and morally reprehensible rape of a young person who had made it thoroghly clear that she did not want him near her.

I think the man is a genius and that various events and experiences in certainly the early stages of his life have scarred him irretrievably - still no excuse whatsoever for what he did to this girl. So why haven't the US authorities pursued him more vigorously over this period of time? France does have some extradition agreements with the US. Human rights law in the EC have changed dramatically in the meantime and the reason he was still, up until this week, at liberty was I fear, because of the USA's lamentable tendency to allow 'buy offs' of material witnesses to effect their conduct of trials considering crimes such as this (as with Michael Jackson who I happen to think may well have been innocent of molesting those children). Also, the OJ affair where someone literally got away with murder due to other factors in which the police case was appallingly blurred and manipulated and with public opinion excited to such an extent that the trial was always going to be a complete farce (in other words not the jury's or the judge's fault).

It's far too late for all this, so no I don't think he'll be extradited. Why now?
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Jan Van Quirm
Member
 
Posts: 10632
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Dunheved, Kernow

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:46 am

So now we've gone full circle, so once again I'll reiterate my first point.
(I'll try not to have another "hissy fit" :lol: )

RP has a house in Switzerland. For the last 12 years he's been living and working (on and off) in Switzerland. At any time during this period he could have been arrested and extradited. End of story.

Instead he was arrested when he was a guest of honour of Switzerland and her people. He was invited to receive a prestigious Swiss award. Arresting him at this time completely and utterly humiliates Switzerland and her people. The US has humiliated Switzerland in front of the whole world and because of this ham-fisted and uncaring approach, I believe RP is going to walk free.

Well done USA. You totally messed it up the first time by incompetently allowing him to flee your own country. Through sheer incompetence, yet again you've cocked it up, and a paedophile is going to once again escape justice and not get what he deserves.

Even the D'regs in Klatch have better manners - allowing even their worst enemy to be a guest for 72 hours!

Once he's out on bail, possibly next Tuesday, how long do you think it will take MOSSAD to get him out of the country?
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:51 am

Well said Jan. :P

So that's two of us who don't think he'll be extradited.
And nobody's prepared to take me up on my bet!
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
User avatar
poohcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 10425
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: NOT The land of the risen Son!!

Postby Catch-up » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:29 pm

Sorry Jan, but why not now? France refused to extradite him. If we had pressed the issue, we would have been the villans then as well. It's a position you get very used to being a citizen of this country, damned if you do, damned if you don't, and frankly it gets tiresome.

He should have never been allowed to leave the country, but I'm not going to buy the argument that just because he's avoided extradition this long that we shouldn't bother. If I commit a crime, am I considered beyond punishment just because I successfully avoid being arrested for a certain amount of time?

And speaking of humiliation, what's more humiliating.... prosecuting a pedophile or protecting one?

Are there crappy politics involved? I have no doubt of that. Is the U.S. the only country in the world guilty of crappy politics? I'm guessing no. :wink:
User avatar
Catch-up
Member
 
Posts: 7023
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:19 am
Location: Michigan, U.S.A.

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests