Roman Polanski

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Roman Polanski

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:54 pm

This is a very interesting case.

What are your thoughts?
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby kakaze » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:22 am

It might help if you provided a link to some information about him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Polanski

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&safe= ... e&resnum=1

In brief:

Code: Select all
Film director Roman Polanski was arrested in Switzerland on Saturday and faces possible extradition to the United States. In 1977, Polanski drugged and raped a 13-year-old girl in the home of actor Jack Nicholson.

It's hard to believe that it took 32 years to get him arrested! :shock:
kakaze

Postby Trish » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:36 am

Huffington Post has a few stories about this.

Apparently, Polanki had entered a plea agreement in CA in '77-8-9...? but the judge vacated his own plea order --which is really irregular. And now it seems the pertinent paperwork has gone missing.

The victim settled civilly 20 years+ ago. She was a model /actress and her mother knew where she was, who she was with and even knew about the Quaaludes and champagne. Having settled, the victim has no beef here.

The entity that does have a beef here is the US. The country has to be shown "getting tough on crime" and Polanski is the lucky guy who gets to pay.
Trish

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:17 am

Does anybody believe for one second that this extradition will take place? I don't.

The Swiss media have joined together and have rounded on their own government. Sarkozy and Mitterand are both involved on Polanski's side. The Poles are furious (Polanski has joint French/Polish nationality). Hollywood is backing Polanski.

For the last 12-15 years Polanski has been partly living and working in Switzerland, where he owns a house. But all of a sudden, because the US snaps its fingers, the Swiss govenment jumps.

The victim in question has said that all charges should be dropped after receiving an undisclosed sum of money.

If Switzerland do extradite him, they will be seen as the US lap dogs of Europe, and very possibly there will be a boycott of Swiss products by the French, Poles and even Israelis. Any more film festivals in Switzerland will be boycotted.

I'm not condoning for one minute what he did, he deserves to go to prison, but you simply can't arrest a man who has been invited to your country, as a guest, to receive an award from that country for services to the world.

As far as I can see, the only outcome is that the Swiss government and the US are going to both look very silly.
poohcarrot

Postby kakaze » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:51 am

poohcarrot wrote:you simply can't arrest a man who has been invited to your country, as a guest, to receive an award from that country for services to the world.

Seems like a good idea to me... maybe we could finally catch Bin Laden this way?
kakaze

Postby Trish » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:05 am

Wonder if the US -Swiss banking thing with USB (some American thieves..err, bankers) had clauses as hidden as the depositors' money.
Trish

Postby mspanners » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:27 am

If He done the crime then He should do the time.....

I am not a great believer in allowing famous or rich people being able to pay with cash for recompense for their actions or getting off because they are famous and can afford a good solicitor in court that gets them off on a technicality.....

if anyone were to drug a person irrespective of age or gender and then take advantage of them then they should be banged up full stop.

And if the Mother knew the situation prior to this happening then She should be in front of a Judge for neglect!
mspanners

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:00 am

mspanners wrote:If He done the crime then He should do the time.....

I agree.

I also agree with Trish about the motivation behind it is the US naughty bankers.

But this is compromising the famous Swiss neutrality. Is Switzerland now just a puppet state of the US?

I will make a $10 bet with any one person that he doesn't get extradited on this occaision. $10 going to Alzheimers.
poohcarrot

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:31 pm

Blimey! I didn't know this (from the Beeb):

"The Paris-born director had himself survived the Nazi atrocities committed in the Krakow ghetto, but lost his mother in a concentration camp gas chamber.

Tragedy overwhelmed Polanski when his heavily pregnant wife Sharon Tate was brutally murdered, along with four others, by killers acting on the orders of radical cult leader Charles Manson. "
poohcarrot

Postby Lady Vetinari » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:36 pm

The girl in the red coat is in fact Roman Polanski's cousin saved by Oskar Schindler ... got her autobiography and a piccie of him as a child.
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Catch-up » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:48 pm

A country is not a lap dog or compromized simply by honoring an extradition treaty. I can guarantee that if the U.S. kicked up a fuss about honoring such a treaty we would be vilified. The law is the law, a treaty is a treaty. You can come up with all kinds of reasons why you think this is silly or just don't like that another country is cooperating with the U.S., but this man committed a crime that he has not been punished for. Just because the victim isn't pursuing it doesn't mean the law wasn't broken. Do you think he should just walk because he's famous and is getting an award? Would you feel that way if the victim was someone you loved? How do you know he hasn't done this a hundred more times while he's enjoyed his freedom because he ran? What about those girls?
Catch-up

Postby Dotsie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:28 pm

I agree with Catch-up. What he did was dispicable, & we have no way of knowing if this was an isolated incident. He should be made to pay, and not just financially :evil:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby cols » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:39 pm

mspanners wrote:If He done the crime then He should do the time.....

I am not a great believer in allowing famous or rich people being able to pay with cash for recompense for their actions or getting off because they are famous and can afford a good solicitor in court that gets them off on a technicality.....

if anyone were to drug a person irrespective of age or gender and then take advantage of them then they should be banged up full stop.

And if the Mother knew the situation prior to this happening then She should be in front of a Judge for neglect!

I agree, I don't care how much cash he handed over .

If he is allowed to walk because he paid off the victim what is the difference between him and someone paying for child prostitution... THERE IS NONE

He needs to be held accountable
cols

Postby kakaze » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:47 pm

Switzerland's secrecy laws haven't been secure for a while now. They'll share information with other governments regarding suspected money laundering, drug smuggling, and terrorist activities.
kakaze

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:29 pm

Trish wrote:Wonder if the US -Swiss banking thing with USB (some American thieves..err, bankers) had clauses as hidden as the depositors' money.
What Santa Clauses Image

Apparently it has been reported that the mother pushed the daughter forward so she could get a part in a film the mother that is.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Next

Return to The Broken Drum