What Did You Do Yesterday?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

What Did You Do Yesterday?

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:04 am

The "What are you doing tomorrow" thread only gets people talking about future plans and we don't get to hear the result. So here you can post what you actually did and if it was fun or not.

Yesterday afternoon I played Nintendo Wii with my wife and kids. A game called Wii resort which is currently outselling all other games by a ratio of 4:1. You may or may not have this in UK/USA yet, but it's brill. It's like Wii sport but takes place on an island. You can play frisbee, wakeboarding, marine bike, archery, chambala (which is hitting people with a big stick), table tennis, bowling, parachuting, basketball, kayaking, bike riding, golf etc.

Then in the evening I was invited round to two of my students' house for dinner. We had crab, caviar! Matsuzaka beef sukiyaki, two bottles of wine, beer and highballs. When I die I want to come back in my next life as a Matsuzaka cow. They get massaged, fed beer and have soft relaxing music played to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsuzaka_beef

A year ago these students couldn't speak a word of English. Last night we talked for 5 hours. Obviously their English isn't perfect by a long chalk, but all the same a very rewarding experience.

I was also very drunk, so if I posted any nonsense yesterday evening, you'll know why.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:35 am

It must be an incredible achievement getting students to that stage. :D

I had a frustrating morning. I was going to go to the car boot sale on the other side of Cardiff. The gates of the big cemetery across from where I live was open, so I thought I'd take a short cut and cycle through there. It turned out that only the one gate was open that early and when I got to the other side the gate was locked and I had to come all the way back.

In the end I decided that instead of going to the car boot I'd take the film that I'd just found in my old camera to Tesco to be developed - I needed some shopping as well. I'd misplaced the camera and only just found it again and couldn't remember what photos were on there.

So at Tesco I got them to develop the film and put it onto a disc without any prints (only £1.90 that way) and I then had to hang around for an hour so I went to the charity shops nearby, but didn't find anything worth buying.

It turned out the photos were of the last time I was in the Netherlands at my friend's new house in Weert and that was over a year ago - actually more like 18 months! The time spent in the camera didn't seem to have had an adverse effect on the film, so that was good.

Oh and I finished reading Going Postak for the discussion tomorrow. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:10 pm

I had a frustrating noise pollution & bus-realted morning, then went with Mr D to the trafford centre to exchange my shonky netbook for a spanking new one with more bells & whistles. Then tried to exchange MrD's shonky new phone (they don't make 'em like they used to), but they were out, so no joy there, so we went for sushi instead. Then fell asleep really early, which was good cos madam next door started the 1am disco again.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:24 pm

I read that as 'sonky'. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:52 pm

Prophylactic netbook :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:56 pm

Nothing would surprise me these days. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:14 pm

This isn't what I did yesterday, but what I just finished 5 minutes ago - the CA discussion on GP. 8)
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:59 pm

That was a special one for that site as it's the book that created the stamps. Still, I reckon we can do better than six pages. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Batty » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:15 pm

I was phoned by the agency who I had an interview with, and told that I didn't get to be one of the 9 people doing a weeks unpaid work, in order to get a chance of being one of the two & a half people they need to employ - but - I'm at the top of the Reserve list (if they fail to turn up)!
Oh Joy! Whoop -de-Doo! Image
I also heard that my aged mother is coming to visit me on Halloween - so I won't need to make any special arrangements to frighten any children! Image

Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Mwahahahahahaha!!! :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:53 pm

This could just as easily go on the frustration thread... Yesterday and today, the scenario paintball team we sponsor named Sprirtus Raptor, hosted a scenario game at our field. Normally these things take a full year to plan out and accomplish. These guys decided to do it in three months. (insert cursing and gnashing of teeth here)

Soooo, after intense preparations over the last month and Huge quantities of money invested, thankfully not by me... I should preface by saying that they thought 200 people would show up... 4 peeps showed up yesterday... and Zero today.

I tried to get the head of the team to back off of it until next year, but he got really mad and played hardball with me threatening to pull the team and other manky prospects.

Soooo, while I get to mutter told you so silently to meself as I smile at him. He gets to feel like a git and seems to believe I jinxed it for him.

Tomorrow, is the big "Soldier" back from Iraq party, we managed to finagle that, and I am glad.

I did Not know I had such power. Tis almost Godlike in it's own way. I wonder if I could singe his eyebrow???
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:11 pm

Wow! *makes note - be nice to Tina*

How frustrating is that! At least you didn't lose financially, but even so - all that hard work for nothing. :roll:
Tonyblack

Postby Bickaxe » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:14 pm

I did everything I planned to do yesterday.

Was a mystery shopper at a few car dealerships. Vauxhall was easily the best and Toyota were very nice. BMW suck. I felt like I should have wiped my feet on the way in or at least worn a bow-tie.

Went to my cousins wedding reception and mixed my drinks....just recovering now :lol: :oops:
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Jason » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:10 pm

Yesterday I took down the curtains in the living room so that Lisa could wash them. Took the two eldest girls to a guide / brownie / rainbow day at a local school. It's the organisations centenary.

The tank started flooding again but I caught it in time and manage to drain it again. But it was too late to sort out replacement parts to fix the problem.

I also put the curtains back up again.

Today's been busier (fixing tank in loft) - but I'll wait until tomorrow to talk about today.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Batty » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:11 pm

Image Don't know why, but I saw this and thought of you!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Next

Return to The Broken Drum