Hogswatch

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Hogswatch

Postby Beth » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:18 am

I know it's a bit early but we're scattered all over the globe so I thought I'd start the topic now. Is there any interest/have you done before, a hogswatch gift exchange? It's September already and Hogswatch is not far off. I would be interested in a secret hogfather gift exchange if everyone else is interested.
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
Beth

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:38 am

I'll do it. What's the price limit? Do we know who we are sending the prezzie to coz that would effect the choice? :P
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Beth » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:41 am

Well usually a mod matches up the names of all that are interested and no one knows who anyone has gotten until you receive your pressie. When you do get it you just say you've gotten it and what it is so that no one left can figure out who their gift is coming from. There is normally a fairly low price limit.
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
Beth

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:40 am

The ones I've done before have been limited to around £5 and it was done secretly. I should point out here that it doesn't have to be organised by a mod. :lol:

I'd suggest that we start a list of people who might be interested in taking part and we'll see where it goes from there. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Beth » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:22 am

Count me in.
Beth

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:07 am

Let's say we do it something like this:

1. Anyone interested in taking part will list their name here.
2. Each person on the list will PM their delivery address to a coordinator.
3. The coordinator will then contact each person and tell them who they'll be sending a gift to and supply them with the address.
4. Each person then goes out and buys (or makes) a gift for the person they have been allocated.
5. They then make sure that the gift is sent off in plenty of time (particularly important for those of us overseas) to get there by Hogswatch.
6. All gifts are then put to one side ( :twisted: ) and you are NOT ALLOWED to open them until Hogswatch.
7. Once you have opened them, you post on the board to say what you got.

A few questions -
1. Do we want this to be done as a sort of Secret Santa? In other words you don't actually know who sent you the gift (although you'll probably be able to guess).
2. I know some people can afford a lot more than others, therefore having a cap on how much we can spend might be a good idea - say around £5 or equivalent?
3. Because of the cost of postage, some people might prefer to only send a gift to someone else in the same country. Do you think this is a good idea?
4. Should this be an open on Christmas Day event - or open on Hogswatch Day (I'll have to check when that is this year)?
5. Who is going to run it? :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:38 am

By the way as a rough guide, here's how much £5 is currently worth in various parts of the world. :D

UK - £5
US - $8.20
CAN - $8.90
AUS - $9.60
EUR - €5.70
JAP - ¥761.70

Edit to add - that's about 400 Indian Rupees. :wink:
Last edited by Tonyblack on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:54 am

I see a small problem. If someone sends me a prezzie the postage might cost more than the prezzie itself!

You could split it into countries ie; people in UK send to people in the UK. US to US etc.

But then I wouldn't get a prezzie! :cry:
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:00 pm

I'm sure we could work something out for you pooh :wink: But you of course would have postage issues yourself. And whoever gets your pressie won't be wondering too long who sent it - so be good :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:21 pm

Well it really depends on what they send - something really light wouldn't cost all that much. :wink:

Maybe we could say - would you rather send to someone in your country or oversees?

I'm going to be in the US when this takes place for example - and I wouldn't mind sending something to another country. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Omnia » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:09 pm

Or extend the flatalists card exchange to this forum?

You don't have to love stamps to participate, just design or alter a card to give it a discworld flavour and then send to other participants in much the same manner as the secret Hogfather gift exchange :)

Gotta be abit cheaper on postage than sending gifts :wink:
Doth not a penny to the widow outshine the unconquered sun

AKA g'nomi :-)
Omnia

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:19 pm

Great Idea count me in :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:22 pm

The Flatalists tend to do a gift exchange every year that I've been aware of. And if people want to send cards that's pretty much up to them. :D

But this would be for this site and completely separate from the CA board. We aren't affiliated to them apart from the Discworld connection. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Beth » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:28 pm

And 400 rupees. :D I don't mind sending out of the country. India Speed Post is not that expensive and if it's a small package it won't cost much anywhere.

Yes Secret Santa or Secret Hogfather, to be opened on Hogswatch. I would offer to coordinate but starting on Thursday I'll be in Houston for the next four weeks and doing a lot with doctors and possibly not all that dependable.
Beth

Postby chris.ph » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:47 pm

i will join in and i dont care where ive got to send the pressie its not as if im going to post a brick :lol: hang on thats not a bad idea :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Next

Return to The Broken Drum