See what I got published on Wednesday

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

See what I got published on Wednesday

Postby swreader » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:39 am

For those of you not in the US, you may or may not be aware of the virulent and almost violent debates that have been taking place across this country during the last month while Congress was "at home" trying to talk to the voters about health care reform, and to a lesser extent about global warming. One of the more alarming trends has been the number of people, across the country, who have showed up either inside the hall, or protesting outside with guns, from hand guns to assault rifles. They claim to be "exercising their 2nd amendment rights."

I had the following guest editorial published in our leading newspaper in Thursday, "Paid for" Misinformation Clouds Vital Debates The title, BTW, was the paper's idea, and I have trouble remembering what they called it.

I've gotten lots of e-mail comments on the story--and not just from friends. I've heard from a lot of people who think I'm nuts, and a number of others who have heaped me with praise. And the comments (87 thus far) attached to the story should have made the editor quite happy. Not only are these issues I strongly believe in, I'm also rather proud of having said it and gotten it published.
swreader

Postby Beth » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:00 am

Excellent article Charlene. Really excellent.
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
Beth

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:31 am

You should be rightly proud of your article Sharlene. I'm certainly proud of you. :D

There are some real whack jobs who have posted comments - they really do seem to believe Fox News and Rush Limbaugh over common sense. :roll:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:08 am

Tonyblack wrote: There are some real whack jobs who have posted comments - they really do seem to believe Fox News and Rush Limbaugh over common sense. :roll:

Nice article. 8)

Why are you already calling me a whack job, when I haven't posted my comment yet? :lol:
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:40 am

Do you think the following is too subtle for the nut-job whackos to understand? :lol:

"Rush is RIGHT!
Let's all hope that Obama fails.
In fact, let's destroy the US economy so that none of us have jobs. Then when we can't afford health insurance and all die of curable diseases, it'll really teach those pinko-commie-leftie-liberals a lesson! They'll only take our guns from our cold dead hands! Yeah!! "
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby keith_art » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:48 am

A very thought provoking article, Sharlene. But as for the comments made, 'Oh dear, Oh dear, Oh dear,'

Some of us Brits, at least, thought that Barack Obama was going to be a breath of fresh air in US politics but it seems that he's never going to get anywhere with such opposition. His good intentions are sadly going to remain just that!
I can only wish him luck, 'cos he's gonna need it!
and a hard boiled egg!

See my Art & Videos at http://bit.ly/affections
keith_art

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:33 am

Well done Sharlene - the more people who can see what these dangerous people are doing and stand up to say it the better :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:55 am

poohbcarrot wrote:Do you think the following is too subtle for the nut-job whackos to understand? :lol:

"Rush is RIGHT!
Let's all hope that Obama fails.
In fact, let's destroy the US economy so that none of us have jobs. Then when we can't afford health insurance and all die of curable diseases, it'll really teach those pinko-commie-leftie-liberals a lesson! They'll only take our guns from our cold dead hands! Yeah!! "
Subtle as a handgrenade Pooh - I like it! :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby MattK » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:09 am

Yes, but I think a lack of sarcasm would have people championing Pooh's comment, rather than arguing against it. :)

Nice article, Charlene. It does put a rational face on what has become nothing more than a shouting match. We might even make it to the level of an actual debate one of these days, but I doubt it.

keith_art wrote:Some of us Brits, at least, thought that Barack Obama was going to be a breath of fresh air in US politics but it seems that he's never going to get anywhere with such opposition. His good intentions are sadly going to remain just that!
I can only wish him luck, 'cos he's gonna need it!

A lot of us thought the same thing, Keith. But after claiming to close down Guantanamo, only to ship most of the prisoners to Bagram, extending Bush-era indefinite detention, and reneging on his position against the FISA bill (this was before the election), he just seems to be "politics as usual" with a charismatic and intelligent air about him, I'm sorry to say.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK

Postby keith_art » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:37 am

MattK wrote: he just seems to be "politics as usual" with a charismatic and intelligent air about him, I'm sorry to say.

You know *ducks behind sofa as I speak* Mrs Thatcher ACTUALLY seemed to be a good idea, when she first raised her ugly head. And then Tony Blair seemed to have his head screwed on, too.

But then, as Stephen Fry said, "The sort of people who we would like to have governing us, have far to much sense ever to go into politics in the first place."
and a hard boiled egg!

See my Art & Videos at http://bit.ly/affections
keith_art

Postby Dotsie » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:50 am

A really interesting article, thank you. Some very scary comments though, there's just no getting through to some people. I particularly liked the claim by one person that those using guns to intimidate were, in fact, Democrats posing as Rebublicans in order to make them look bad :shock:

I shouldn't have read the comments. I should have stopped after the informative bit.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm

keith_art wrote:
MattK wrote: he just seems to be "politics as usual" with a charismatic and intelligent air about him, I'm sorry to say.

You know *ducks behind sofa as I speak* Mrs Thatcher ACTUALLY seemed to be a good idea, when she first raised her ugly head. And then Tony Blair seemed to have his head screwed on, too.

But then, as Stephen Fry said, "The sort of people who we would like to have governing us, have far to much sense ever to go into politics in the first place."

Keith - I thought that about Mags too and the Bliar (although the crocodile smile effect soon wore off, having worked under the last 2 old-style Lord Chancellors who were respectively Tone's ex-boss/Head of Chambers and then his former flatmate :roll: ). At least Mags was reasonably interesting and went for things all guns blazing. Even if you loathed her politics you had to respect her for the way she got things done and how she took the country's international standing by the scruff of the neck and gave it a bloody good shaking. With the honourable gentleman he talked a very good policy but man he was a big disappointment - I actually much prefer Brown as at least he looks sorry most of the time... :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Beth » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:48 pm

I have to admit that I didn't read the comments because I didn't want my head to explode. Also Charlene got published, they are just idiots who posted a comment. Obama is not a magician. No one can fix the shithole that Bush drug in a year or two or do it without pissing off a whole lot of people. I still have hope for him.
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
Beth

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:50 pm

Beth wrote:Also Charlene got published, they are just idiots who posted a comment.

Hi. I'm an idiot! :lol:
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:00 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:
Beth wrote:Also Charlene got published, they are just idiots who posted a comment.

Hi. I'm an idiot! :lol:
The world could do with more idiots like you Pooh! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tonyblack

Next

Return to The Broken Drum