What's the weather doing where you are?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby And » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:56 am

There have been quite a few reports of that this winter. I saw it myself in Germany about thirty years ago - "thundersnow."[/i]
Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.
And

Postby Phoenix » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:29 am

We still have several inches of snow (the most I've ever seen in fact!) and for the first time ever we have icicles dangling from the roof :D And according to the weather forcast we're due another couple of inches over the weekend too :D

I love snow, even if it does mean I'm even more stuck inside than normal. Snow and wheelchairs do not mix well, so I'm limited to as far as I can make it into the back garden on my crutches, although we do have a little folding chair for me to sit on when I get out there :) This weekend I plan to make my first decent sized snowman :D

My dad and sister are slightly less fond of the current conditions though as they haven't been able to get into work for most of the week... A lot of companies and councils may be insisting travel is possible because they've gritted the A-roads, but in order to get to the nice gritted roads you have to get past the ones covered with a few inches of frozen snow first :P Still, I'm enjoying the extra company :D
Hah! I laugh in the face of danger... Then I hide until it goes away.

+++ Out of Spoons Error +++ Redo From Start +++
Phoenix

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:20 am

Have a great time in the snow Phoenix! :D It seems to have turned into glass here.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:53 am

swreader wrote:When I talked with Tony this morning he said the post office used to have rubber slip-on's that had some metal spikes in them. I think maybe you all would be well advised to look for something like that rather than risk falls.

Chris, who did you talk to about your father-in-law's hip? If it's true that the council isn't liable for sidewalks, who is? In this country it's the property owner. If you get that answer, take it up with your MP. By that logic, if they allowed a counsel house to have an unsafe furnace after notification, and it blew up, they wouldn't be liable.

Somebody needs to follow up on this.

our local mp or am around here is a lady called edwina hart and she is also the health minister for wales so i will get my mother to have a chat with her about it as they are friends, i never remember that nepotism works :lol: cheers swreader
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Morty » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:29 pm

Phoenix wrote:We still have several inches of snow (the most I've ever seen in fact!) and for the first time ever we have icicles dangling from the roof :D And according to the weather forcast we're due another couple of inches over the weekend too :D

I love snow, even if it does mean I'm even more stuck inside than normal. Snow and wheelchairs do not mix well, so I'm limited to as far as I can make it into the back garden on my crutches, although we do have a little folding chair for me to sit on when I get out there :) This weekend I plan to make my first decent sized snowman :D

My dad and sister are slightly less fond of the current conditions though as they haven't been able to get into work for most of the week... A lot of companies and councils may be insisting travel is possible because they've gritted the A-roads, but in order to get to the nice gritted roads you have to get past the ones covered with a few inches of frozen snow first :P Still, I'm enjoying the extra company :D

WAY TO GO Phoenix

When the doctors told me I'd had a stroke it surprised me as I didn't feel that ill. When he laid down a list of what I could and couldn't do I thought well that's it then I might as well book into the old folks home and give up.

I had not taken into consideration what my friends had planned for me. With their support I began to believe that there was an alternative to giving up. The first few walks left me feeling shattered but each time I went out I got a little further and on Christmas Day I surprised them all by making it to the top of a local beauty spot.

I really hope you manage to make it out into the garden this weekend but take it easy on the crutches. Don't overdo it making a snowman just getting out and having a wander round the garden will do you a power of good. Oh and don't risk taking photos. The first time I tried to take a photo on crutches I kind of forgot that when you rely on one crutch and holding a camera to your eye your balance is somewhat compromsed!
I ended up on my backside but luckily my pride was hurt more than anything else.

Enjoy the fresh air and the freedom of being outside and let us know how you went on......

Good luck Phoenix I'll be thinking of you
Morty

Postby chris.ph » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:32 pm

Phoenix wrote:We still have several inches of snow (the most I've ever seen in fact!) and for the first time ever we have icicles dangling from the roof :D And according to the weather forcast we're due another couple of inches over the weekend too :D

my mate is in a wheelchair after crashing his bike phoenix but he has just ordered an allterrain chair so he can take his kids to the country parks in the area but they are very expensive
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby swreader » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:43 pm

I feel positively guilty about our 70 degree weather--given N. Dakota's windchill of -52 earlier this week, snow and freezes in Florida and the Deep South, and the apparently daily snow in the UK.

On the other hand, we are in the midst of a serious drought. Total rainfall last year (app. 5.5") is about half of normal. We had no monsoons, and now we're not likely to get winter rains though one can always hope. But somehow, I don't think I'm getting much sympathy for our weather. Would be happy to take some of your moisture if you can figure out how to get it over here. :lol:
swreader

Postby Bickaxe » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:55 pm

Its cold and there is no snow.

Well, no more for another few hours at least and it looks like it will go on all day tomorrow.

There are some areas without power, can't imagine what that's like right now, think I only have battery power in my torch for 2 hours if lucky....and no candles. :shock:
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby freddy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:12 pm

Hi all its very cold, snow is on the gound here in Sherwood England and guss what we can not cope nad we running out of salt. I am able to get to work so its not all that bad and that only cus the bus company been gritting round the bus stops nad the bus lanes. Its dark today glad I asm not at work, im at home nice and worm and going to finish reading Naton, got it for Christmas but only stated reading it a week ago. We have been forcast another 20cms of snow today ooooo wow weee, I bet peole in Americ and canada are Laghing at us :D anyway I wil pop on again soon and give you an up date. Take care everyone.
freddy

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:43 pm

Good to see you again, freddy! :D
Tonyblack

Postby Tristan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:15 pm

Snowing snowing snowing! Lots of snow! Snow snow snow! I am almost sure, that it's specially for me and my birthday! :lol:
"...my father is the Emperor of Klatch and my mother is a small tray of raspberry puddings."
Tristan

Postby Penfold » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:24 am

Snowing AGAIN! :shock: It NEVER snows here in Worthing! Whats going on?Image
I read this in my morning paper Pigs Ear. I'll never complain about the seagulls again :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:28 am

:shock: Yikes!

It snowed here all last night and there's still fine stuff coming down now. The snow was just about gone yesterday - just slushy stuff left. Back to square one I guess. :roll:
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:54 am

This is the scene out of my bedroom window at 4.00 am this morning:

And this is it just now:

Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:54 am

Reintroduce wild boar to a forest and then kill them off because they're damaging the forest? :roll:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum