What's the weather doing where you are?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:57 pm

my father in la broke his hip just before christmas bouncy , we looked into it and you cant do anything :evil: :evil:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:02 pm

I find that most disturbing.

What's the point in having a council to serve the community, when they routinely leave the walkways of the borough treacherous?

Grrr.

According to a taxi driver I met today, in Germany they have snow plough attachments for the front of garbage trucks, and hopper things they can attach to the back to distribute grit/salt.

Genius (well, for the roads, anyway).

Why can't they send out the brigade of streetsweepers they have with a shovel, and a plentiful supply of salt?

Grrr again. :evil:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Sharon007 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:18 pm

[Why can't they send out the brigade of streetsweepers they have with a shovel, and a plentiful supply of salt?]

They would more than likely say that it is too expensive and not cost effective. :roll:
Sharon007

Postby Morty » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:21 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:I find that most disturbing.

What's the point in having a council to serve the community, when they routinely leave the walkways of the borough treacherous?

Why can't they send out the brigade of streetsweepers they have with a shovel, and a plentiful supply of salt?

I kind of half agree with you Bouncy Castle. Over the last 2 months due to me having a stroke I've spent a lot of time sitting in Dole Office waiting rooms surrounded by an Army of fit and healthy young men who paid no respect whatsoever to the old man with white hair and a white beard sat listening to their foul language and gripes about not being able to afford the latest fashion trend.

Put em up against a wall and shot the Bally lot of em if I had my way......

But in times of need when the old and infirm are falling on the snow these scroungers should be told that they get their Giro's only after a weeks graft clearing pavements.

I live above a 92 year old Gentleman. Despite the stroke I cleared his path for him yesterday and he came out and offered me a Five Pound note for helping him out. Needless to say I didn't accept the money and then he asked me if there was anything I needed from the shops as he didn't want me going to the shops on crutches.

The difference between the generation of Gentlemen and the generation of layabouts we have today.

Makes my blood boil :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry Rant over......God that was better than Sex.....I think......Can't remember....... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Morty

Postby swreader » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:22 pm

When I talked with Tony this morning he said the post office used to have rubber slip-on's that had some metal spikes in them. I think maybe you all would be well advised to look for something like that rather than risk falls.

Chris, who did you talk to about your father-in-law's hip? If it's true that the council isn't liable for sidewalks, who is? In this country it's the property owner. If you get that answer, take it up with your MP. By that logic, if they allowed a counsel house to have an unsafe furnace after notification, and it blew up, they wouldn't be liable.

Somebody needs to follow up on this.
swreader

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:41 pm

swreader wrote: Somebody needs to follow up on this.

Quite.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Batty » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:27 pm

Sharlene, I bought a pair of foot claws - which fits the description you gave, and they are really good.
I have to put them on my shoes before I put my shoes on, as I struggle too much to put them on afterwards.
It does mean that I don't take them off when I enter shops, but they do make a nice metalic scraping sound on the shop floors!

I think the reason you can't sue councils is because snow is classed as an 'act of God', wheras if the council or a home owner interfered with the snow by putting down salt / clearing the path etc., and someone slipped over, then the council / home owner could be held liable for taking on the responsibility for interfering with that section of pavement. ... or something like that ...
:cry:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:32 pm

There used to be grit/salt bins on most roads.

These days, they're mostly empty.

My taxi driver today lives in Bexley (Kent), and said his wife rang him today.

His road is iced to ridiculous proportions, and the postie, milkman, bin men, ect, can't get up the road, and YET, a council lorry trying to remove a wrongly-parked car went up, tried to lift it onto the lorry, and was sliding all over the place.

They can't give us a "service" but they can fine us with aplomb.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Penfold » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:36 pm

Morty wrote:
Bouncy Castle wrote:I find that most disturbing.

I kind of half agree with you Bouncy Castle. Over the last 2 months due to me having a stroke I've spent a lot of time sitting in Dole Office waiting rooms surrounded by an Army of fit and healthy young men who paid no respect whatsoever to the old man with white hair and a white beard sat listening to their foul language and gripes about not being able to afford the latest fashion trend.

Put em up against a wall and shot the Bally lot of em if I had my way......

But in times of need when the old and infirm are falling on the snow these scroungers should be told that they get their Giro's only after a weeks graft clearing pavements.

I live above a 92 year old Gentleman. Despite the stroke I cleared his path for him yesterday and he came out and offered me a Five Pound note for helping him out. Needless to say I didn't accept the money and then he asked me if there was anything I needed from the shops as he didn't want me going to the shops on crutches.

The difference between the generation of Gentlemen and the generation of layabouts we have today.

Makes my blood boil :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry Rant over......God that was better than Sex.....I think......Can't remember....... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Morty, I used to be unemployed claiming a meagre disability benifit (flat rate - no extras) and found it hard to afford even a bus fare to attend interviews. It really made my blood boil to hear other claiments (who made little or no effort to find work) citing poverty as to the reason they could only afford a particular games consul over their prefered model, or which pub they would meet in later! To add insult to injury, when I was finally declared fit to work, I got a job as an On Street Parking Attendant :twisted: (aka Civil Enforcement Officer, Traffic Warden, [insert descriptive expletive of choice], etc.) and my patrol took me past the local Job Centre. One of their 'customers, looking very much like Foul Ole Ron with bottle in hand, started hurling loads of abuse in my direction culmulating with the oft said words "Why don't you get a real job"? :roll:

This sort of thing does make me consider the validity of enforcing some sort of community service upon the 'layabouts and scroungers' but there must be a check in place to ensure that the genuine long term unemployed are not lumped in together with these people.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Morty » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Penfold I totally agree with you.
No doubt I am now viewed as a scrounger when I go to the benefits office. I have worked all my life and paid tax and Nat. Ins. There was nothing I could do about the stroke and against doctors orders I already do voluntary work half a day a week for a good cause.

I wasn't for a moment having a pop at anyone who can't work because of illness.

You say you got called names because you became a Traffic Warden ......Absolutely pathetic......Drivers can see No Parking signs just as clearly as they can see Car Park signs .....Their choice and your job to teach them the difference...Good luck to you mate.

The ones that really get up my nose are the ones whose parents have never worked and know the bloody system better than the Dole Officers.

Have you ever seen a DLA form Penfold. By the time you've filled it in you'll probably have died of the disability you're claiming for.

I can't wait to get fit enough to go to work again and I'll be using the Governments own rules against them.....Large companies by law have to take on a percentage of disabled workers.......Well they can take me on and trust me they will.....

I not to sure about National Service for the layabouts....At the moment they are a harmless bunch of sad individuals.....The last thing we want is them going away for 2 years and coming back an organized bunch of trained killers.

Jesus Christ what a choice.....Have we really come down to this and is Clockwork Orange really becoming reality.....
Morty

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:10 pm

LOVE the idea of the unemployed gritting the pavements!! :lol:

Why not?

Loved Littlejohn in the Daily Mail (sorry!) this week, talking about the muslim guy who wants to hold a march in Wotton Basset.

Apparently, he's in his early 40s, and is a qualified lawyer.

Littlejohn suggests he does "..... a little light conveyancing..." to earn a wage.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bouncy Castle

Postby Penfold » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Sorry Morty, I in no way intended to infer that you were having a pop at anyone who can't work because of illness :oops: . I do, however, object to those who know how to 'work the system' and falsely claim for benifits that they are not entitled to. This leaves the genuine cases like yourself and countless others often (and unjustly) being viewed with suspicion - hence the reason for the need of safeguards should a system of 'enforced' voluntary be put in place (I believe the government were discussing such a scheme a while back).

I am definitely against National Service. Regardless of politics, I consider our armed forces as one of the most professional in the world. The reason for this (aside from training) is that they volunteered and the last thing they want is a bunch of layabouts foisted upon them!

By the way, I gave up being a Parking Attendant just over a year ago after 18 months service). I wasn't very good at the job as I wasn't A Complete Bastard*. Actually, the job itself wasn't too bad and the abuse quite amusing, although walking up to 15 miles a day in all weathers got a bit tryng.

About your last paragraph, things are never as bad as they seem. I've seen the local, much maligned, youths out having fun in the snow and helping the elderly along icy pavements. The scaremongering press would have us believe all kids are bad - don't believe it and have hope!

*A. Complete Bastard currently resides at Enclosure 3, Marwell Zoological Park
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby And » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:03 pm

I found the DLA form almost completely daunting. To anyone filling it in who has a PC though, I would say this; download the form to your PC, fill it in electronically (you can fit far more info in and edit as needed), save it and print it off. That takes half an hour BUT you then have the form to refer to if, as is hopefully likely, you get checked out by the Doc for DLA.

I've just ordered a spikey attachment for my walking stick online, - it clips over the base and digs into ice - which should help keep me a bit more stable. Two colleagues also showed great interest; one had a horrendous fall in the summer with a badly broken ankle and is now very nervous on ice, the other has a husband who uses a stick following a car-crash and who, like me is not totally secure when walking.
Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.
And

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:51 pm

chris.ph wrote:i always feel sorry for low slung dogs in the snowy weather :lol: :lol:

<What's the difference between a Sreet Trader and a low slung dog.

One Balls his Wares on the pavement.......>

I was talking about a sporran oh ye of little faith and mucky minds. ImageImageImage :lol: :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Batty » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:14 am

It is snowing heavily at the same time as thunder and lightning!
I've never seen / heard that before!
Image Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum