I'm off to Wadfest

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

I'm off to Wadfest

Postby Jason » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:10 am

I'm off to Wadfest for a couple of days so please bear with us if we get a few trolls on the forum. I have been removing them at 1 or 2 a day so I am sure a few will get through while I am away.

I will try and tidy up upon my return....
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Jinx » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:50 am

Don't worry we'll make sure we keep them seperate from the dwarfs.
No one mention Koom Valley!

lol - just havin' fun, if a troll comes around while you're gone, we'll just kick 'em in the rocks.

Almost forgot to say, enjoy Wadfest.
Jinx

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:41 am

Have a great time Jason and anyone else going. Hope the weather is kind to you. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby ColinEdwards » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:36 am

Wadfest sounds great.

I really miss the old Clarecraft Event where you could just turn up and have a great time in the open air with good friends, good beer and good opportunities to get close to Terry and the wonderful people who worked at the Clarecraft factory.

And paint figures of course.

The major difference for me is that Wadfest isn't 20 minutes down the road :(

Somehow despite the Clarecraft event being organised by the factory, it didn't seem like a 'traders event' - buying paint-your-own figures was inexpensive and it wasn't the end of the world if you didn't buy a boxed figure from the shop in their tent - it wasn't about organising a gathering in order to make money out of the Discworld fans or the Clarecraft collectors. And it was always huge fun.

I think Wadfest - with its roots firmly in raising funds for charity - is a similarly excellent way of bringing fans together to have fun, and it is a great tribute to the all-year round hard work of Waddy and Peter Chapman that it goes from strength to strength each year.

Next year, maybe?! :wink:
When much is taken, something is returned.
ColinEdwards

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:57 am

I was at the last Clarecraft event in 2005 and loved it! It was my first event and the paint-your-own was excellent. Although it did really drive home the fact that I really needed to get new glasses and I was as blind as a bat sitting in that shed trying to do close up work.

I did Wadfest in 2006 and also had a great time. Everyone is so friendly at these events and I'd recommend them. If you don't know anyone else when you go, you can be sure that you will by the time you leave. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby ColinEdwards » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:20 pm

At the Discworld Jamboree last year there was a lot of talk (and a petition if I remember correctly) about a final get-together at Clarecraft, and a final goodbye to all the Discworld collectors.

Its been a few years now since the company had to organise the event and it would probably be a real wrench to organise a one-off after being out of the loop for so long but I would jump at the chance - even if there were no Discworld paint-your-own figures to paint - just to sit in the chicken shed again with a paintbrush in my hand, surrounded by like-minded people and with the possible addition of a pint or two of something i won't find at my village local.

And it would be wonderful to be able to shake the hands of the sculptors, management and staff whose work has given me so much pleasure over the years.

It all ended too suddenly for me. I often wonder what the last Clarecraft Discworld Event would have been like if we had all been told that the factory was about to close; I am sure there would have been sadness but it would have been nice to have been able to say thanks and goodbye properly.
When much is taken, something is returned.
ColinEdwards

Postby carllota » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:25 am

I'm feel the same. I lived in Ipswich just down the road from clarecraft and loved the idea of just hopping in the car and speading the weekend in a field with pratchett fans :)
i would fly back from ireland if there was another event organized it would be great. has anybody thought of tring to organize it themselfs? like wadfest it would be done for charity or just non-profir anyway.
If the number of mad people out number the sane people who is to say who is mad?
carllota

Postby Jason » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:57 pm

I've just got back from the 180 mile trip (each way).

It took just less than 4 hours to get there on Friday but the traffic was bad today and took over 5 hours to get home.

My daughter and I both really enjoyed ourselves and she is already talking about next time.

Apparently dates are confirmed as 21st - 23rd August 2009. Tickets cost £20 per adult with children under 16 free.
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby alohura » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:16 pm

Thank you Jason for the great promotion,

Yes these are the correct dates for next years events, with the correct price.

All of us on the committee would like to thank everyone who was there in body and spirit for a great event.

Lupine and I would like to thank everyone who helped make our omnian wedding blessing special, especially our wonderful feegle minister. :D
Archimedes was murdered over Pi
alohura

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:48 pm

alohura wrote:Thank you Jason for the great promotion,

Yes these are the correct dates for next years events, with the correct price.

All of us on the committee would like to thank everyone who was there in body and spirit for a great event.

Lupine and I would like to thank everyone who helped make our omnian wedding blessing special, especially our wonderful feegle minister. :D

Having been to Wadfest a few years back I can vouch for the 'bodies' and the 'spirits'. :lol:

Sounds like you all had a real good time.
Tonyblack

Postby Watchman44 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:45 am

We all had a great time at wadfest, here are some photos to give all who missed out a flavour of what you missed.

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd243/Watchman44/wadfest/
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby Dotsie » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:37 am

Looks cracking Watchman, shame I couldn't go (especially as it's my old stomping ground) :( Maybe next year.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jason » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:36 pm

Don't look at the 8th picture on the 3rd page. This is not the moderator you are looking for!
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:44 pm

:wink: Too late sunshine! :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Vampire Cat » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:22 pm

Bugger for the first time in four years a certain MOD in these parts managed to survive Wadfest without me scarring him. Hmm must try harder next year :lol:
If the world had more sequins & less bullets it would be a much nicer place
Vampire Cat

Next

Return to The Broken Drum