where have you been

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:55 pm

It was a progression of biggish porous rocks to pebbles to gravel to sand -we used a lot of brown - and yellow :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Trish » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:18 am

cols wrote:Sausage factory yuck :!:

Trish: sounds like you enjoyed your visits here I think our visitors were expecting every pub to have Trad music
and it's expensive here so I think that was a major turn off

Fair play for getting into the Irish Sea I would not chance it , when we were kids we lived on the east coast and went to the beach alot and we used to joke that you'd come out glowing from all the polution !
I much prefer the west coast so we can take a dip in the atlantic .Very cold though

Sausages: I lived with an Italian guy for 2 or 300 hundred years. Just seemed longer.
If you want to see how "real" sausage is made, find a traditional Italian and beg to watch. Don's dad used heart & liver ONLY, then added herbs (basil, very little oregano) and spices (ow, too hot!) for his personal sausage-stash.
Wonderful stuff. Orange peel makes sausage almost sweet. Not quite, just a hint.

Cols-- that's just it. Americans expect the Blarney Stone to kiss them back!
Oh, god no, we never did that. Never went near the place....
Excuse me, but Bunratty Castle is NOT typical!
Yet, Americans expect that Ireland has never moved past 1171 or 1918, depending on which American you talk to.

Greystones beach is scary. You're lying there in the sun and the tide comes in NOW! Nothing gentle about it.

Arklow beaches are gorgeous. I couldn't believe all the sand, not after Galway and Greystones.
We spent an afternoon in Arklow just picking up shells and picnicking.

Tell me about the pollution...?

Where on the east coast were you? My aunt /godmother lives in Newtownmountkennedy and I've got lots of uncles, aunts, cousins in Dublin. There were 9 Nolan children, so there are a LOT of us spread around.
Trish

Postby Stultus Saxum » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:08 pm

I thought the question meant "Where have you been - Why haven't you logged on for a while?". Then I read the subject matter.

Here's my answer (and, as I was born in Switzerland, I have only ever been back there, so don't include it in the list):

Australia
Austria
Belgium
Bosnia & Herzogovina
Bulgaria
Canada
Croatia
Cyprus (both North & South)
Czech Republic
Denmark
England (I know)
France
Germany
Gibraltar
Greece (& a few islands)
Guernsey
Holland
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland (Eire)
Italy
Jersey
Kenya
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Malta
Morocco
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Rwanda
Scotland
Slovakia
Spain
Sri Lanka
Sweden
Tanzania
Turkey
Uganda
UAE (Dubai & Abu Dhabi)
United States
Vatican City
Wales.

I'm aiming to have visited more places than my age. By places, my distinction is somewhere with a level of self governance, hence the appearance of places like the Vatican, Guernsey and Jersey (though I've been to Alderney, Sark and Herm, they all fall within the Bailiwick of Guernsey)

EDIT: Just noticed how long this is. Sorry. :oops:

My Father-in-Law's list is better: England, Wales, Turkey (we dragged him there for his 65th :lol: )
Stultus Saxum

Postby Catch-up » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:25 pm

Great list! Which was your favorite?
Catch-up

Postby Stultus Saxum » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:34 pm

Catch-up wrote:Great list! Which was your favorite?

I don't think I have a favourite. Each and every one has left an impression. I do, however, want to move back to Canada (Mtl or Kingston - and have the passport). Sri Lanka, for me, also deserves special mention.
Stultus Saxum

Postby chris.ph » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:42 pm

blinkin heck its in alphabettical order :shock: :lol:
good list tho
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Bickaxe » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:01 pm

England (living in)
Wales (lived in)
Scotland (lived in...and I mean proper Scotland, not that southern Scotland rubbish where the weather is just like England)
N Ireland
Ireland
Wincanton (my 2nd home. Also counts as a country, trust me)
Spain (about 9 times, various parts)
Belgium (Bruges)
Florida (Disneyworld and Tampa)
Jamaica
Barbados
Singapore
Thailand
Australia (Sydney for 3 months)

Fancy either Hawaii, Mexico or Tunisia for my next trip...
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Polly » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:01 pm

I've been to

germany
ibiza ( yes the late teen drinking thing.. :oops: )
majorca
france - school trip yes a crowd of scottish 15 year old drinking the bar dry and laughing at the technical teacher with the mother of all hangovers!
italy
monaco
hong kong
australia
new zealand
teneriffe
england
wales
ireland - north & south

would really love to go back to NZ - absolutely the best place I've ever been and round maine and new england in the US.
Polly

Postby Trish » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:32 am

It's so much cheaper to fly from Europe-to-anywhere than it is here.
No wonder so many Americans simply do not travel.
Trish

Postby raspberry » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:48 pm

Britain
Canada
Russia
US (Idaho, California, Wyoming, Colorado, not sure if others)
France - Normandy, Brittany, Loire Valley, Paris, Toulouse
Ibiza
Belgium
Italy - Lake Garda, Venice, Rome
Switzerland
Gran Canaria
Malta
Cyprus
Denmark
Holland
Andorra
Ireland
Vatican City

Wish list: Japan, Bali, Singapore.
… I read him his rites, whereupon, he said up, yours copper. Sgnt Detritus then, cautioned him, upon which he said, ouch…
raspberry

Postby Terry f » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:21 pm

Went to skegness once but did'nt really like it!
Terry f

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:15 pm

<Sausages: I lived with an Italian guy for 2 or 300 hundred years. Just seemed longer.
If you want to see how "real" sausage is made, find a traditional Italian and beg to watch. Don's dad used heart & liver ONLY, then added herbs (basil, very little oregano) and spices (ow, too hot!) for his personal sausage-stash.
Wonderful stuff. Orange peel makes sausage almost sweet. Not quite, just a hint. >Nah they are Ok at salami and stuff like like that they would not know a good sausage if it got up and kicked him in the ballocks(heart & liver ONLY)too liquid it has to have some fat and meat and rusks to give it substance I do know because I was a time served butcher and we used to make them, that was before I went on to do other things.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Trish » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:10 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:<Sausages: I lived with an Italian guy for 2 or 300 hundred years. Just seemed longer.
Wonderful stuff. Orange peel makes sausage almost sweet. Not quite, just a hint. >

Nah they are Ok at salami and stuff like like that they would not know a good sausage if it got up and kicked him in the ballocks(heart & liver ONLY)too liquid it has to have some fat and meat and rusks to give it substance I do know because I was a time served butcher and we used to make them, that was before I went on to do other things.

No, no, no. You fry them like everybody else. NO.

Get a shallow skillet, I use my iron skillet.
Fill it 3/4 with water, add spices you like --white pepper, garlic powder, not garlic salt, basil, fresh minced onion, tiny bit of hot red pepper NOT hot sauce!, some more basil.

Cover the skillet tight. I use foil, Let it simmer all day on the lowest stovetop setting you've got, adding water and basil as needed. At least 6 hours. When it's done, it will be the best damn sausage you have ever had. Use the leftovers/ drippings on your potato and oh my god....
Trish

Postby nattheweirdo » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:16 pm

at this sausage factory we didn't even get to eat any! we saaw them ebign made and got shown packaging.packagin..I kid you not. so very unfair :(
Samuel Vimes is awesome - Simple as :)
~
Vetinari: Did you really just punch the head of
the assassins guild?
Vimes: Yessir
Vetinari: Why?
Vimes: Didn't have a dagger sir.
nattheweirdo

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum