where have you been

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby MattK » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:01 am

I didn't find and Hiddenite, but I found a lot of agate, quartz, obsidian, and a bunch of others I can't name. Plus, about 5 pounds of emeralds (don't worry they're not facet quality).
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK

Postby chris.ph » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:05 am

i forgot ive been to sicily as well :roll:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:35 am

As Chris is bigging me up :roll:

Jersey x 2
Gibraltar

Greece & Islands
Mainland ~ Pelepponese (can't remember where now) & Marathon
Islands
Kos
Crete x 2
Corfu
Rhodes
Kalymnos

Austria
Winter x 5
Summer x 5

Portugal x 2

France
Winter x 7
Summer x 2
Disneyland Resort(s) Paris x 6 that I can remember (but probably about 10-ish - and mostly where I was technically unconscious for a good proportion of the time - did I tell you I'm quite good at going 'out of body' without actually resorting to alcohol? :evil: )

Italy
Winter x 3
Summer (Florence) x 2

Belgium x 2
Holland
Norway x 3
Sweden
Germany (Hamburg)

USA
Florida x 5
California x 2
Nevada

Africa
Kenya x 3
Tanzania
Zambia
Zimbabwe x 2
Namibia
Egypt
Tunisia

Australia (Western Oz)
Bali

Cruises
Norway & N. Atlantic Isles x 2
Baltic x 2
Western Med x 2
Canaries
Caribbean (various and mostly from the boat as I couldn't be bothered to get off)
Bermudas x 2

Refuelling should NOT count as you don't clear immigration even if you did actually get off the plane *wags finger at pooh* :P
Plus if I included that my brain would implode with the effort of by-passing the boredom - I loathe long-haul with a passion and tend to seek methods whereby I am oblivious to time spent in any part of the airport/big silver bird in sky - mostly by reading something absorbing or sleeping :evil:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Batty » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:38 pm

I visited the Real Ale Festival on Thursday afternoon, and again yesterday (after the air show). Does that count?

As I don't drink ale, I tried the various cider that was on offer. I started with Herefordshire Perry (4.5%) which was refreshing but a tad sweet, and ended with Weston's Organic Vintage (7.3%).
I'm not convinced that I walked in a straight line on my way home ...

I can also recommend Park Farm's Pure Cider (7.5%), but thought that Thatcher's Cheddar Valley (6%) was awful.

I only drank the cider in the interest of researching the different strength and character of the brews!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Cheery » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:58 pm

Greece twice
England twice (London)
Germany lots
Austria three or four times
Italy three times
France once
Spain once
Lanzarote once
Cheery

Postby MattK » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:46 pm

Batty wrote:I visited the Real Ale Festival on Thursday afternoon, and again yesterday (after the air show). Does that count?

As I don't drink ale, I tried the various cider that was on offer. I started with Herefordshire Perry (4.5%) which was refreshing but a tad sweet, and ended with Weston's Organic Vintage (7.3%).
I'm not convinced that I walked in a straight line on my way home ...

I can also recommend Park Farm's Pure Cider (7.5%), but thought that Thatcher's Cheddar Valley (6%) was awful.

I only drank the cider in the interest of researching the different strength and character of the brews!

How widespread is hard cider in the UK? I love it, but almost no bars here have any. It's a pain to find anything but Woodchuck at the distributors. I think I've only ever seen Strongbow once or twice.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:13 pm

If you ever happen to get to any of the Wincanton events they have a pub there that sells nothing but cider.

Otherwise most every pub in the UK sells some type of cider on draught or by bottle, it is very common but more so futher down in the south.

Sommerset and Devon being the cider producing area's most pubs there will only sell you half a pint at a time if your not local as it is rather strong.Image they also have cider farms where you can buy 5 litre 1gallon containers of scrumpy to take away.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:23 pm

<I only drank the cider in the interest of researching the different strength and character of the brews! >

Batty yes sure pull the other one. Image :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:27 pm

Does it have bells on?
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:10 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:
Refuelling should NOT count as you don't clear immigration even if you did actually get off the plane *wags finger at pooh*

Jan

As you are finger wagging at me, I feel I have a right to take retaliatory action. :P

Now obviously I have spent more time out of the UK than you because I have been living in Japan for 15 years. 8)

If you count visiting a country to mean staying in that country for 48 hours or more, how many actual different countries have you been to?
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:13 am

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:Does it have bells on?
It could have. Image :lol:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:26 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:
Refuelling should NOT count as you don't clear immigration even if you did actually get off the plane *wags finger at pooh*

Jan

As you are finger wagging at me, I feel I have a right to take retaliatory action. :P

Now obviously I have spent more time out of the UK than you because I have been living in Japan for 15 years. 8)

If you count visiting a country to mean staying in that country for 48 hours or more, how many actual different countries have you been to?

:lol: Naturally retaliation is a must here. With the exception of Gibraltar which was a weekend break and I think was for slightly more than 48 hours, everywhere else was for a week or more and were holidays. Some of the cruises were a trial as I was ill and not on good terms with himself so in the Caribbean I was effectively 'at sea' the whole time because I had to have some time and especially space to myself and I do not like hot climates and have better beaches here in Cornwall - so my interest in seeing yet another string of palm bedecked white beaches and far too many American tourists in the towns and 'attractions' (no offence US peeps but you're as bad as the English abroad at times - minus being p*ssed all the time though! :wink: ) was not too compelling an attraction... The N. Atlantic islands (Iceland, Faroes and Shetlands) were wonderful - will dig up my photos from there fairly soon but again they were at best coach day trips so I suppose they don't actually count as separate places which is why I didn't list them as such.

My housemate had major wanderlust (he should have joined the Navy or the merchant fleet but he gets majorly seasick - my loss as we would never have met if he had done that) and he was a travel agent so he got a lot of freebies (more or less - they're known as 'fam' trips as in familiarisation) which accounts for the African and Oz trips as we paid an arm and a leg on top end holidays which were still heavily discounted. I'm a lucky lady I know to have been to so many great destinations, but very ungrateful too as towards the end I didn't want to be on some of the US hols and most of the Disneyland Paris trips were a real pain in the butt to be honest. I hadn't quite given up on the marriage at those points, hence some of the cruises being hell on water for me. :roll: These days he goes on modest holidays on his own or with friends (he's not in the business anymore) and I have a great time on my own at home with the dog - much better all round. And I mean it about airports and the whole flying thing - it has to be somewhere pretty special to make me want to fly there these days :twisted:

I think the moral of my travel experience is that its not where you go but who you go with - and I'll always love and cherish the times we had in Africa and in Scandinavia :)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby MattK » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:41 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:no offence US peeps but you're as bad as the English abroad at times - minus being p*ssed all the time though! Wink

None taken. :) But I think this applies to tourists in general. I hate summers in Lancaster, there are so many loud obnoxious tourists, mostly from New York, New Jersey, and Maryland. It's a pain to try and get anywhere outside of the city (Blue Ball, Intercourse, and Bird-in-Hand... real names of towns around here. :) I have to drive through 2 of them just to get to my classes.) because people act like they've never seen farmland, a cow, or the Amish--which they may not have--before.

The thing that's really frustrating is people taking pictures of the Amish. They don't like that! Most people who visit know that they don't like to get their pictures taken, but they do it anyway. Respect their wishes while you're here, gah!

Anyway, solidarity Jan. Tourists--including myself, though I try not to be--are usually obnoxious and just plain in the way. Thus concludes the daily rant. :)
MattK

Postby cols » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:06 pm

Wisconsin US
Portugal
Lanzarote --Yuck
Paris x2
England
Wales
:oops: my list looks pretty pathetic compared to everyone's but hey :D
cols

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:56 pm

cols wrote:Wisconsin US
Portugal
Lanzarote --Yuck
Paris x2
England
Wales
:oops: my list looks pretty pathetic compared to everyone's but hey :D

As long as you can Make a list it is wonderful, and especially if you had FUN!
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum