General Travel Photos

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Beth » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:08 pm

I hate to horn in on the dueling photo thing but I can't help it.

Image
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
User avatar
Beth
Member
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: Godalming, Surrey

Postby Beth » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:09 pm

Oh really Poohb? Magical? And why is that?
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
User avatar
Beth
Member
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: Godalming, Surrey

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:16 pm

I've got a lighthouse picture as well - but I'm not posing by it. :P

Image
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 29022
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby Beth » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:24 pm

Great photos Suzanne. Franky it looks like an exhausting trip. I've never been tempted by Disneyland for some reason but it looks like Thing One and Thing Two had a great time!
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
User avatar
Beth
Member
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: Godalming, Surrey

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:42 pm

Beth wrote:Oh really Poohb? Magical? And why is that?


1. Because there are some amazing things to see. Hampi is unbelieveable.
2. Because you can have the most frustrating morning of your life, followed by the best afternoon of your life, and in the evening anything can happen.
3. Because cows wander round unmolested.
4. Because the banana bhang lassies are amazing.
5. Because there are some of the greatest beaches in the world.
6. Because it's cheap.
7. Because hippies are funny and are always trying to out-hippy each other.
8. Beacuase there are govt. shops that sell blow, Sadhus spend there life smashed out of their heads and even the main god Shiva has hair made out of "ganja"
9. Because the tuk-tuks and trains are fun
10. Because I learned how to make a chillum out of a carrot..
11. Because it's difficult to get even the simplest thing done, nothing ever is on time and it's really difficult to travel around.
12. Because I only stayed for 3 months. If I'd stayed longer I would have got so frustrated I would have killed someone. :twisted:

(Mainly headonistic reasons I'm afraid :lol: )
Image
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 1557
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: Japan

Postby Beth » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:30 pm

1. this is true

2. this is also true but not always a good thing

3. cows do NOT walk around unmolested. They are holy and aren't deliberately killed for any reason but that's different. Cows are mistreated through negligence and ignorance. They eat trash to survive and many are starving as the plastic bags rife in India twist around their intestines eventually starving them to death. They are hit by cars, I've passed them bleeding and dead in the streets. Unmolested is not the right word for what they are. Objectized perhaps, revered possibly. Unmolested? Never.

4. bhang lassies.....oh.....ow...only once...

5. greatest beaches yes but no concept of conservation and hygiene and slowly being polluted out of existence with raw waste

6. yes it's cheap...and you get what you pay for

It's also filthy. Corruption and bureaucracy are slowly destroying it as well as ignorance and greed. God. My head explodes on this subject.
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
User avatar
Beth
Member
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: Godalming, Surrey

Postby Catch-up » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:32 pm

Disney World is most definitely not for everyone. :lol: It can be a very fun experience, but it is kind of exhausting because you have to plan well and there's so much to see. There's more there for grown ups than most people realize. It is pricey, but you really get a lot, especially with small kids. It kind of holds a special place in our hearts because Thing 1 hit some milestones there. She was very ill for a few years and those trips brought her out of it for a bit. When they're older we'd love to travel out west, and later take some trips abroad. What do you think kids would think of India? It would be amazing to come stay with you! I would love it. But, it's probably not in the cards for us for awhile.
User avatar
Catch-up
Member
 
Posts: 6827
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:19 am
Location: Michigan, U.S.A.

Postby Beth » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:33 pm

All the rest is true I'm afraid. I really need to get out of here.
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
User avatar
Beth
Member
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: Godalming, Surrey

Postby Catch-up » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:34 pm

Ok, wait. Just read your last post - maybe it wouldn't be a good destination. :shock:
User avatar
Catch-up
Member
 
Posts: 6827
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:19 am
Location: Michigan, U.S.A.

Postby Beth » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:38 pm

That is fantastic about your girl! The trip looked like a lot of fun and oh my God, if you ever see India you will understand my saying "IT'S SO CLEAN!" My God you could eat off Disneyland.

We hope to only be here another six months though my partner has been so successful at running the Delhi office I think they'd like him to stay. If someone is interested in coming they need to coordinate with me when to be here as I myself am probably running away this winter. Winter is the WRONG time to come to Delhi as it's so polluted and I've been in hospital twice in the last three years with respiratory infections and asthma. I'm hoping to find a place to rent in the UK for Dec, Jan and Feb.
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
User avatar
Beth
Member
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: Godalming, Surrey

Postby Beth » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:39 pm

NONO, India is wonderful to visit but you have to know what you're doing. It's much better to see India as a visitor than a resident because as Poohb says, you end up wanting to kill a bunch of people pretty quickly. There are AMAZING things to see and do here.
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
User avatar
Beth
Member
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: Godalming, Surrey

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:45 pm

So Beth,

For a tourist, would you say India could be "magical"? :wink:
Image
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 1557
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: Japan

Postby Beth » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:47 pm

No. It could be magical for anyone. Any place can. Some days India is even magical for me. I still want out. :D
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
User avatar
Beth
Member
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: Godalming, Surrey

Postby keith_art » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:50 pm

Beth wrote:Anyone is welcome to visit me. While we're here if people want to come please do. Unless you are an axe murderer. Then don't come.


I doubt they'd let me bring my axe collection onto the plane anyway :shock: :wink:
and a hard boiled egg!

See my Art & Videos at http://bit.ly/affections
User avatar
keith_art
Member
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:02 am

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:05 pm

Catch-up wrote:
poohbcarrot wrote:
Catch-up wrote: I could do Walt Disney World too, but I don't know if anyone's really interested in those. :lol:


I am! I regularly go to Tokyo Disneyland and Disney sea.


Cool! I'd love to see those photos.

Ok, you asked for it!

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/susannevb/WDW09/
Oh! good photo's but I have never had an inkling to go to Disneyworld/land not even in France.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
User avatar
Who's Wee Dug
Member
 
Posts: 14893
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Stirlingshire, Scotland

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests