R.I.P.- Sen. Edward (Ted) Kennedy

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

R.I.P.- Sen. Edward (Ted) Kennedy

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:27 am

It has just been announced that Senator Edward (Ted) Kennedy from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has passed away at the young age of 77!

Sen Edward (Ted) Kennedy passes away

Yes he has some controversy in his life (which Kennedy hasn't) but he did a lot for the State of Mass and the country. I hope that you and your brothers and sister are having a nice cool drink on the patio up in heaven!

You will be missed!
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:09 am

I just heard about this and know that Sharlene will be upset. She admired him greatly as he has genuinely done a huge amount for the American people.

R.I.P. :(
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:12 pm

I don't think there'll be many Brits replying to this thread, because he was regarded by many as an IRA sympathiser. And as for getting a 2 month suspended sentence for killing Jo Kopechne and leaving the scene of an accident, well, Scottish Law seems almost barbaric in comparison.

However, I respect what he did in politics and only wish there were more like him in the the Senate.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:25 pm

On the "Have your say" BBC website, Ted Kennedy is getting absolutely hammered by at least 98% of people posting comments. He was not liked at all in the UK. But then if you supported a terrorist organisation that killed nearly 2,000 Brits, is it any wonder?
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Batty » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:09 pm

In fairness, pooh, he did help to bring about the Good Friday agreement which helped to twist the arm behind the back of Sein Fein, but I've never forgotten how he left the scene where Jo Kopechne drowned.

My mother just believes that all Kennedy's hate the English. I'm pleased that during his later years, he helped others.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby MattK » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:23 pm

It's odd how quickly someone's faults are forgotten or brought to the forefront after their death. I've seen it a lot with eulogies too (though those are usually good). I, too, can't hear Ted Kennedy's name without thinking of Chappaquiddick, let alone everything with the IRA.

I just think eulogies or remembrances should try to examine a person as who they were, good and bad.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK

Postby swreader » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:56 pm

Ted Kennedy, like his brothers, was larger than life. And, as been acknowledged almost all over the world, he was a fighter for peace, civil rights and justice. I have often thought that the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1965 was not only the most important legacy of President Johnson, but it's passage was in some way a tribute to the fallen President who was involving himself in that struggle.

I can't say it any better than our President Barack Obama said--"For five decades, virtually every major piece of legislation to advance the civil rights, health and economic well-being of the American people bore his name and resulted from his efforts. ... An important chapter in our history has come to an end. Our country has lost a great leader, who picked up the torch of his fallen brothers and became the greatest United States senator of our time."
swreader

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:07 am

I'm not in a good place atm so I can only say that politicians who follow their hearts are rare and admirable people. No one is that squeaky clean at the end of the day - the more human the man the better the politician.

I will say something about Chappaquiddick as they showed the original scene on TV here the other day - I can see how it happened whether or not he was tired, drunk or ill. The bridge has guard rails and it still looks like a flimsy dangerous structure - back then there were no railings over a tidal section of channel and, in the dark ill-lit evening or night I'm amazed they didn't have many more accidents there. He left the scene but he did face the prosecution, he did get sentenced and, though it was not custodial, he paid and paid for that sad incident the rest of his life.

I'm glad people are focussing on the good he did - what you do with full thought and intention is worth more than an unwanted, unlucky accident and a panicky, knee-jerk reaction

RIP Edward Kennedy
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:11 am

poohbcarrot wrote:I don't think there'll be many Brits replying to this thread, because he was regarded by many as an IRA sympathiser. And as for getting a 2 month suspended sentence for killing Jo Kopechne and leaving the scene of an accident, well, Scottish Law seems almost barbaric in comparison.

However, I respect what he did in politics and only wish there were more like him in the the Senate.

Being from Manchester, I'll not comment but just say, I agree with pooh.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Return to The Broken Drum