www.audible.co.uk

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

www.audible.co.uk

Postby mspanners » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:49 am

Unable to find the unabridged Night Watch on the site, anyone else use them and if not available there any ideas where I can get the full cream version and not the butchered one read by Baldric? :shock:
mspanners

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:56 am

I use Audible.com in the US and when I do a general search it shows Night Watch, but when I sign in it is not avalible for my geographical area. They way the text guy made is sound was that it is only avalible for release in the country of origin, whic would be the UK.

Hmmmm... so it is not even avalible there? DO NOT GET IT FROM ITUNES! Half the time the volume on it is so soft even at high volume alone in a room I can hardly hear it. Sometimes iTunes realyl messes things up like Pyramids. Half the time they are talking in low speed.

The only thing I can suggest s buy the CD's and download it that way, at least you will have a back up copy if ever your system crashes.
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:09 am

Or you could see if it's available to borrow from your local library - or if they can get it for you. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:58 pm

Thanks for the replies chaps, will see if they respond to my inquiry about getting the unabridged version in! Thanks. :)
mspanners

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:30 pm

I checked Audible.com today and Nightwatch is avalible now. I think if you ask them they will release it. I haven't looked for a while since I got that horrible copy from iTunes.

Give them a try for a request to release.
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby bogieman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:36 pm

I got this of audible dot com
bogieman

Postby mspanners » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:19 am

Audiable.co.uk ......... no good... only in abridged format :(

And to rub salt in the wounds the same problem with Wee Free Men.... :shock:

I have inquired as to the release of the titles in unabridged format and wait to see if they comply, the annoying thing about it is that I joined to get Terry's full collection...... which they advertised on a banner on the site but it turns out that these two titles are not the full books...

I think this is false or misleading advertising and possible illegal..... but I will give them the benefit of the doubt and await a response to my mail.
mspanners

Postby Cheery » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:57 am

Here you are: http://www.audible.de/adde/store/produc ... K_000247DE
unabridged version of Night Watch on audible in english. Apparently everything else's written in german, but I'm sure you'll find your way through. :D If you have problems just pm me and I'll be your dictionnary. :D
Cheery

Postby mspanners » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:27 am

Thanks, unfortunately I have a subscription with the UK branch of Audiable, 15 quid a month gives me Two free downloads.. so I may just have to stick it out..... I have mailed the UK branch who responded

Dear David,

Thank you for your enquiry.

There are a number of reasons why titles are not available on our site. It could be that no audio version exists or, if it does, the author or publishers may not have released the digital download rights (they are negotiated separately from book and CD rights). Since our inception in the UK we have added around 35,000 titles to the site and now have working relationships with all the major producers of audio titles. I am therefore confident that if we do not currently have a title on the site then it is only a matter of time before it will be available through Audible UK so it is worth checking the ‘New Releases’ tab whenever you visit audible.co.uk.

I have also forwarded your request to our content team to see if we are able to get the UK rights for this title.

Regards,

Stuart Milligan

So why is there a English version of the unabridged book on a German site? I assume they are the same company, just different branches.... :?:

I have mailed back that there is a version and that the Wee Free Men is only in abridged on the site to them.

I await their response to my reply to this with baited breath! :lol:
mspanners

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:39 am

Good lord! It's not like Terry Pratchett is an unknown author!
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Cheery » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:00 am

mspanners wrote:So why is there a English version of the unabridged book on a German site? I assume they are the same company, just different branches.... :?:

Well it's not that strange, because they hardly have any german Discworld audiobooks (and if you ask me they're rubbish), so they stick with the english ones. I guess it's easier that way.
Cheery

Postby mspanners » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:22 am

Just thought it strange that it is available in English in Germany and not on the UK site.... I assume Audiable UK and Germany are the same people........ :shock:

Weird.
mspanners

Postby Cheery » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:25 pm

mspanners wrote:Just thought it strange that it is available in English in Germany and not on the UK site.... I assume Audiable UK and Germany are the same people........ :shock:

Weird.

Audible Germany doesn't send anything to Switzerland, but send to the UK. Even weirder. :shock:
Cheery

Postby Witch from Lancre » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:58 pm

My partner buys his TP unabridged books from Isis and they are releasing them in mp3 form although they still need to transfer some of their books to this format. The full set should be done soon. This time they are proper mp3s unlike last time.

He is a member of Audible has the set of Dune Books along others and some of the non DW books.

I agree that you should never buy the books from iTunes. Not only do the volumes go up and down but the downloads are not always 100%. One book started about 12 pages in from the one I read. Bought it of Audible and it was great 100% successful and you can always redownload on the site for free,
Witch from Lancre

Return to The Broken Drum