Need suggestions from all you creative, artistic people!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Need suggestions from all you creative, artistic people!

Postby Catch-up » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:33 pm

My oldest daughter is going to be having her birthday party soon. She's crazy about My Little Pony, and for part of her gift I got her two totally white, decorate your own, My Little Ponies. I know she's going to want to work on them immediately, so what should I get for her to use. All I can think of is permanent markers. Will paint just peel off? And what about the hair? Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks! :D
Catch-up

Postby Jakindra » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:02 pm

Thinking as she loves My Little Pony hairspray or gold/silver spray are possibly not the safest things unless you're the one to operate them. What about colourful stickers?
"It's difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes you are interrupted by dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
Jakindra

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:17 pm

How about a Good Luck pony with lucky symbols - clovers and horseshoes? :D

If you are painting with acrylic paints the paint should stay put, but a coat of clear varnish would make certain of it.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:59 am

Not done much artwork on plastic :lol: why don't you get some doll make-up (you can get make up with Bratz dolls apparently - I am so out of the loop with girl toys :roll: ) and let her experiment with that - it'll wash off presumably and then you can do the permanent route another time? I think (not sure) with what Tony's saying you can get stencils for this kind of thing as well - or even play tattoo kits?! :D

Hoopy semi-permanent idea - a henna tattoo kit - that's lasts several weeks (on proper skin anyway) so she can do something different every time? :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:09 am

Actually, you might want to experiment on a small area of the pony and see how permanent acrylic paint is. It may be that you want a pony that you can paint up and then strip the paint off and repaint it.

Nail varnish remover may work for this. If the plastic is shiny then the paint may be inclined to peel off anyway. :)
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:33 am

Why not cut up some black tape into strips and stick it on? No mess and it could be My Little Zebra.

Or leave it white and stick a nail through it's head. Bingo - my little unicorn. 8)
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Bickaxe » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:43 am

I think acrylic paint should be fine. It may flake eventually if its played with enough.

Some spray paints can melt plastic, same as nail varnish remover. Read the labels first!

Felt tip pens are a safe bet, its not always permanent but she can decorate it again and again when its washed off.

I found activity kits based on the My Little Pony (or Disney Princesses in The Girl's case) to be good as there were puzzles, coloUring in things and other bits she liked doing.
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Re: Need suggestions from all you creative, artistic people!

Postby Trish » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:41 pm

Catch-up wrote:My oldest daughter is going to be having her birthday party soon. She's crazy about My Little Pony, and for part of her gift I got her two totally white, decorate your own, My Little Ponies. I know she's going to want to work on them immediately, so what should I get for her to use. All I can think of is permanent markers. Will paint just peel off? And what about the hair? Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks! :D

NO to acrylic paint!
It is forever.

Fabric paint will wash off the plastic pony bodies and out of her hair.
Their manes /tales ... doubt it.
Trish

Postby chris.ph » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:14 pm

sharpie permanent markers should work, tell her happy birthday from us :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Batty » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:02 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:Why not cut up some black tape into strips and stick it on? No mess and it could be My Little Zebra.

Or leave it white and stick a nail through it's head. Bingo - my little unicorn. 8)

Image Image [img]http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/free-evil-grin-smileys-429[1].gif[/img]
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Catch-up » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:39 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! :D Pooh, the disturbing thing is that she may actually go for those ideas. :shock: :lol:

Ok, I've been sent a link to a site specializing in custom MLPs. Here's what she suggested - RIT dye (whatever that is) for the body and hair. You mix it up in a bowl of water big enough to dunk the pony in. Don't know how you'd do the hair without doing the body & vice versa. She said acrylics for the eyes and traditional bum decorations, then put sealer over it. She said "NO!" to the permanent markers. I guess sometimes they bleed as they're drawn on, so instead of the straight line you wanted you get a feathery line.

I have to admit I'm torn. I want her to be happy with the results and I want it to be as easy as possible for her, but dye sounds dangerous. These are not going up on a shelf to be displayed, they will get played with - A LOT! So I'm not expecting the artwork to hold up well.

What do you think?
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:42 pm

RIT Dye - it looks like the stuff you use to dye fabrics with. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Batty » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:51 pm

I'm not into painting models - with or without day-glo paint (before pooh comments), but if you are worried about 'feathering' or 'bleeding', how about using masking tape to protect the outside area that you are trying to dye?
Masking tape is low-tack so should peel away afterwards. Just a thought - but as I said, I haven't painted anything so I could be spouting nonsense!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Dotsie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:11 pm

How about stickers and transfers? When I was a kid they went on everything :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:16 pm

Of course we are missing the obvious here - a totally white MLP. Leave it as it is and call it My Little Binky. :wink:
Tonyblack

Next

Return to The Broken Drum