The Art of Reading?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The Art of Reading?

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:57 pm

I'm currently reading a Jasper Fforde book - 'First Among Sequels' - and read a passage that got me thinking:

Jasper Fforde wrote:“Reading, I had learned, was as creative a process as writing, sometimes more so. When we read of the dying rays of the setting sun or the boom and the swish of the incoming tide, we should reserve as much praise for ourselves as for the author. After all, the reader is doing all the work – the writer may have died long ago.”

He’s referring to the reader's ability to take a series of written words into our heads and create a picture with them. The art of imagination.

Of course the better the writer the easier it is to do this, but without the reader’s imagination then the words would be pretty meaningless. This is prossibly the reason that some people just cannot read and enjoy a book - they simply don't have the imagination do do so.

What do you think? Is reading a type of artform? :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:22 pm

It's must be as much an art form as listening to music, looking at a painting, or watching a movie. Each has the ability, via the observer's imagination, to transport the observer to a magical place, far away from their own mundane reality.

For that matter, drinking beer, eating chocolate, or taking drugs do exactly the same. However these tend to be bad for your health, fattening or illegal.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:42 pm

I think so, there is most definitely a certain amount of imagination, and you have to have the discipline to stick with a book.

I cannot understand people who say they can't read books. I don't get it. There is a Treasure Chest of inner wealth in the act of reading and assimilating a book. I Love 'Em!!
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Trish » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:52 pm

Pooh-Bee said "listen and look;" what he didn't say was "hear and see."

No, I don't think reading is an art form because it is not creative by itself.

I had an English prof was great. Dr Holmes would read Tennyson with a Henny Youngman accent.
"Marianna" has never been quite the same since...:0)

He and I had this 'thing' (don't know what else to call it) about the individual character's "voices."
Not 'voice' in the literary sense, but that each character had a pretend-real one and spoke in it from the pages of the manuscript.

Yes, I did learn to hear the voices in my head from a English professor. :0)
Trish

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:17 am

My sodding housemate just made lose my post so this is the quick and dirty edition

The writer is the creative first last and always - all the reader has to do is enjoy the book and the more imagination they have the better the experience. They wouldn't have the experience without the writer putting in the graft first - so yeah Pooh's right *chokes* :lol: it's like listening to music or looking at fine art or whatever visuals appeal to you most. The artist/composer/author creates and the viewer/listener responds to it.

You can read without enjoyment so that is possibly a form of art in that it's an 'acquired' ability - like persevering with drinking bitter which doesn't seem to be something women 'want' as much as some men... :lol:

I envy you your teacher Trish - mine sucked to hell and back and as a result I really cannot read Dickens at all (with the exceptions of Oliver Twist and Xmas Carol I can't even enjoy the films of the books - I will loathe and despise David Copperfield for all eternity...) but I loved Jane Austen when I picked her up again after leaving school.

Personal preferences are also not reliable - I loved reading CS Lewis as a kid but then I discovered Tolkien and after that I could never engage with Lewis' adult reading 'cos it's so bloody sanctimonious in tone and I just find his writing crude and preachy (although I did like Perelendra when Ransome was chasing the Eve-a-like :lol: )

Those who can, write, those who can't, read... but if you like reading enough and can hit the heights with your responses, I think that does inspire people to write themselves - so in that sense reading can be an artform, but all credit for that goes to authors like Pterry who light the fire in the first place.

Oh dear it turned into the long version! :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:21 pm

An artist once said to me that the art was the reaction of the person looking at the picture. But maybe she meant that she had created that art, I'm not sure now.

I'm not at all creative, but I love reading. And if I'm reading a rubbish book, all my imagination can't make it any better :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohbcarrot » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:06 pm

Trish wrote:Pooh-Bee said "listen and look;" what he didn't say was "hear and see."

Not quite sure what your point is Trish, but;

(puts on teacher's hat)

"Hear" and "see" refer to general ability. "Listen", "look at" (not moving) or "watch" (moving) imply some concentration on the part of the person.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby chuckie » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:45 pm

Dotsie wrote:I'm not at all creative, but I love reading. And if I'm reading a rubbish book, all my imagination can't make it any better :lol:

I agree . I have very poor imagination, for example, my cat is called Tabby, and she is a tabby, but i still enjoy a well writen book.
chuckie

Postby poohbcarrot » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:48 pm

chuckie wrote:I have very poor imagination, for example, my cat is called Tabby, and she is a tabby,

Is your real first name Chuck and your surname begins with an "E"? :lol:
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:51 pm

Maybe being good at reading is not so much an artform then as a skill. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Trish » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:51 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:
Trish wrote:Pooh-Bee said...

Not quite sure what your point is, Trish[/i])

I wanted to call you Poo-Bee is all. *shrugs*
Trish

Postby chuckie » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:53 pm

No. somebody once tried to wind me up by saying i look like Chuckie in the rugrats. Didn't work because i had never watched the rugrats.
my real name is Eoin, pronounced Ian.
chuckie

Postby poohbcarrot » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:53 pm

Oh! :lol:
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:57 pm

Well that's an example of creative reading right there then - I would have pronounced your name as Owen, same as a guy I used to work with :?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby chuckie » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:04 pm

Been called alot worse over the years.
chuckie

Next

Return to The Broken Drum