41%
neither
9%
Pah! Forget cats and dogs, parrots rule the world
3%

Total votes : 32

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:16 pm

Mortimer Postlethwaite wrote:
I don’t suppose for a moment that Aley’s former owner will ever see this picture but if I ever get to meet him / her they will see a side of me that scares me, and yes that meeting will involve petrol and matches.

You better take a spade as well cause shit does not burn,and you will need something to beat out the flames vigourously with. :twisted: :twisted: Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Morty » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:40 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Mortimer Postlethwaite wrote:
I don’t suppose for a moment that Aley’s former owner will ever see this picture but if I ever get to meet him / her they will see a side of me that scares me, and yes that meeting will involve petrol and matches.

You better take a spade as well cause shit does not burn,and you will need something to beat out the flames vigourously with. :twisted: :twisted: Image

Ahhh I have a problem there Dug. I live in an apartment that has a balcony. All my plants are in containers so I don't own a spade.

But I do own one of these..... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Don't ask it'll only rake up more enquiries on Crimewatch. :shock:
Morty

Postby janet » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:18 pm

Mortimer, I now officially love you! And no alcohol has been taken!
Thought I was the only soft touch here where cats were concerned......all of mine have been pathetic homeless things and I've loved them all dearly. May you enjoy Aley's company for many many years to come my friend :) PS I felt the same about the former owner of my little Border Terrier but she chose to put the past behind her and i did too. x
Last edited by janet on Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Morty » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Hi Janet,

It’s been a long time since someone told me they loved me :oops:

A couple of years ago I went to the local shop and at the bus stop there was a lady in an electric wheel chair. She was surrounded by a gang of youths who were taking it turns to spit on her.

The red mist came down. Unfortunately I had gone out without petrol or matches. I waded into the largest of the group and ‘immobilized’’ him. Seeing the big fella out of it most of them scattered and I was left with only one more to deal with. As he flew at me with clenched fists I kicked him in the Henry’s and he went down like a sack....maybe the wrong word to use there!....of potatoes.

I went to see the poor unfortunate victim to see if there was anything I could do. I’d only been chatting to her for a few minutes when police arrived. I gave my statement as did the lady in the wheel chair and a very nice WPC took the lady home and I carried on with my trip to the shops.

That evening I was sat in my office when the intercom went off. It was the police wanting to come to see me, I buzzed them in. After I had given my side of what happened I was informed that it was possible that I would face charges for my actions and that I had to attend the local police station to be cautioned.

I was absolutely fuming inside but very coolly and calmly told the officers that I had no intention of attending any such dressing down and I would be contacting my friend who worked on The Manchester Evening News and giving her a story about an old bloke who fought off mindless thugs who were spitting in the face of a disabled old lady only to find himself in trouble with the police. I then asked the police officers to relate what I’d told them to their superior officer’s and asked to leave.

Oddly enough I never heard from them again.

I hate to see cruelty in humans but when humans are cruel to animals then the petrol and the matches do come out. It took a supreme effort on Aley’s part to crawl to the door of her cage to allow me to show her some affection. The least I could was to give her a home to wreck.

I suppose once again that shortly after Christmas the animal sanctuaries will be swamped with straw animals kicked out as unwanted Christmas gifts. I just wish that people would realize how much work and effort is needed to look after a pet. I know Aley is not representative of most cats but it took weeks of hard work to coax her out from under the settee. OK at times I wish she would go back under the settee and leave me alone but when I think what it would like to beaten up for a year and then to get kicked out and left to fend herself and her kittens.......

Time to leave this....I can smell petrol :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Morty

Postby Batty » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:46 am

There are actually a few of us on this forum that love cats.
This is actually a thread titled Cats v Dogs, so a quick read will show you how many of us love animals - and cats in particular!

My last cat was from a rescue centre. He had been thrown (more than once) against a wall by the children of the family.
He was terrified of people and it took him 6 hours to come out from underneath the cupboard when we first brought him home.
Throughout his life the only people he (just about) trusted was us - and even then he would still jump if we moved too quickly in his general direction.

Thankfully, most people are not mindless thugs, and it pays to remind yourself of that, when you need to.
Image Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Dotsie » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:19 am

Morty that story choked me up. Aley is lucky she has you. And I'm glad you didn't face charges!

My rabbits are rescue animals too. I try not to think about what they went through before they met me :(
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:23 am

I didn't vote because I can't choose between cats and dogs, I love them all :D

I've had 2 cats (Bianco, a black&white male and Spot, a red female) and a dog (Tommy) in my life. One of the cats died because someone shot him (and obviously I never found out who), and even if we brought him to the vet and try to cure him he didn't make it.
A few years ago we looked for a dog and we found a woman, a voluntary... ehm how do you call them, she kept dogs with her trying to find a house for them, because he was too young and too scared to go to the dog pound (ehm.. right name?)
Well, she found us and we adopted Tommy because once you saw that cute little thing who stayed flat on the street trying to make himself as little as possible, all trembling like a leave in a hurricane, who could have the heart of leaving him behind?
Unfortunately the story has not a good happy end, because he lived with us only 2 more years, then he got sick, we found a dog hospital but they didn't know what was wrong with him so he died.
The only thing that keeps me from crying when I think of him is remembering him after a few months with us he looked finally happy, he enjoyed running fast and he always knew when my car was near home, so my mother let him loose and he ran towards me.. oh gosh, why did I write that this keeps me from crying, I'm almost crying now and there's people coming in the shop.. gotta go, be back in a few minutes
CrysaniaMajere

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:33 am

Dotsie wrote:My rabbits are rescue animals too.

:shock: What, you mean like those dogs that sniff around in earthquake devastation trying to find life? I suppose they'd be pretty good coz they're quite small.

Or do you mean like St Bernards who sniff around avalanche sites trying to find life? A bunny would look a bit silly with one of those brandy kegs strapped to its neck, wouldn't it? :?
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:01 pm

poohcarrot wrote:

:shock: What, you mean like those dogs that sniff around in earthquake devastation trying to find life? I suppose they'd be pretty good coz they're quite small.

Or do you mean like St Bernards who sniff around avalanche sites trying to find life? A bunny would look a bit silly with one of those brandy kegs strapped to its neck, wouldn't it? :?

Well in a way rescue rabbits would be better than sniffer dogs or St. B's - a rabbit could dig down deeper and maybe take water down for people trapped in rubble (some kind of tube arrangement) etc.

There is the training factor of course - real rabbits aren't too smart apart from working out how to get in and out of off-limits gardens for their carrot rations... :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:56 pm

poohcarrot wrote:

Absolutely. They're very highly trained.

Crys - you gave that little dog a happy and loving home for the last two years of his life. What could be more precious than that?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby janet » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:37 pm

I found it difficult to vote for cats or dogs but it came down to cats eventually. Cats seem to suffer from more of the mindless cruelty which certain species of pond life choose to think is big and brave. Cats tend to be of a certain size and easy to bully. Only one of mine showed signs of cruelty. He was a most loving and gentle black cat with oriental features who turned up on my doorstep in the middle of a raging storm. Once he was dried off and fed well it was obvious that he was very lame and the vet confirmed that the cat had suffered a broken hip joint at some point but it had healed too far to fix it with surgery. The cat was only about 4-5 months old at the time. So he was always a bit stiff in his back leg after that. I named him Ratty because he turned up looking like a half-drowned rat and he had the same gentle nature as Ratty in Wind in the Willows, always looking out for his friends. He formed a particular attachment with one of my other cats who'd been homed by me via my brother who was off to spend a year in Israel.
Our last cat was Florence, the failed farm cat, but it was the farmer who failed her. She'd been the runt of a litter of three born to a tiny queen cat who tried her best to raise the two tom kittens and Florence but the toms, being bigger from birth, had the advantage. None of the cats were fed properly, they were riddled with fleas and worms and given bread and milk to subsidise their diet of whatever they could catch. Florence also had a severe eye infection as a kitten but never treated. I know all this because I was doing work at the farm in the garden and knew the little cat from birth. When they told me they thought Florence would be better off as a housecat I didn't need to think. She was a year old. When we took her to the vet for checkups he asked if she was about 4 months old....that's how tiny she was. She never got bigger, but filled out and grew a lovely apricot long-haired fur coat. We shared her light for less than two years as she became ill, was tested for feline leukemia and was positive. She saved us the doom-laden trip to the surgery by dying on my lap on a Sunday afternoon. I miss her every day.
janet

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:41 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:

Well in a way rescue rabbits would be better than sniffer dogs or St. B's - a rabbit could dig down deeper and maybe take water down for people trapped in rubble (some kind of tube arrangement) etc.

Those evil b*se*ds. They have biotubes!!

I like all animals except spiders and large insects and bugs. I dont even like to get to close to a photo of one.
Unfortunately my dad's allergic to cats. The apt. is too small for a dog, and my mum wont let me keep hamsters or a bunny. So i have to content myself with pooh. :lol:
Smilies are friends, not food. Image
..............Now You See It, Now You Don't..............Image
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby Dotsie » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:09 pm

My mum wouldn't let me have rabbits either. So when I left home I got two. Hah! Take that, mum!
Dotsie

Postby bikkit » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:42 pm

I want a rabbit for my birthday. I'm just praying that my mum gets the hint.

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby janet » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:31 pm

bikkit wrote:I want a rabbit for my birthday. I'm just praying that my mum gets the hint.

HUNDREDS of rescued rabbits need homes Bikkit! They're so easy to keep and so lovely as pets. I really hope you get a couple for your birthday (they like company). x
janet

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum