Amazon Takes Back Orwell Books from Reader's Kindle

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Should books be "kindlized" and if so does the seller have the right to retrieve the book without notice?

No - Down with Kindle. I want "real books!"
52%
Yes - failing to modernize is refusing to use technology .
5%
Yes, BUT - once you've bought and paid for it, the Kindle copy is as much yours as a paper copy.
43%

Total votes : 21

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:46 am

Dotsie wrote:Charming - does she work for Amazon now? :wink:
:lol: Actually, the last time I heard of her she was area manager for a chain of book shops. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Batty » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:55 am

poohbcarrot wrote:I thought that comment might cause controvesy. I didn't think the smilies would be out to get me though! Aaarrgghh! :shock:

Beware the wrath of the smilies! :wink:

Image Image Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:36 pm

kakaze wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:Setting fire to books is the most heinous crime in civilised cultures :evil:

Yes, much worse than murder, torture, and rape. :P

:) Well the thing with those crimes is you don't have to be civilised or living in a supposedly enlightened and reasoning culture to commit them. They're of course terrible physical outrages, though usually as a result of some kind of intellectual justification on an emotional im pulse of some kind. Within a 'civilised culture' ideally physical crimes against the person ought to be unheard of.

That is the insidious horror of this practice of 'thought theft' as practised in Orwellian nightmare and in incendiary acts as per the example I gave of Kristallnacht in 1930s nazi Germany (not just in Berlin). Neither of those situations are physical acts against the person - what they are is an ultimate rejection and attempted extermination of human endeavour and striving to rise above our genetics as animals, to something more cerebral and aspirational. That is why it is so obnoxious, because it seeks to destroy ideas that are precious and add to the accumulated knowledge and creativity of the human race as sentient and self-determining beings.

With Orwell's visionary fiction this phenomenon is far more effective (in 1984 in particular) in achieving the permanent destruction and callous negation of independant thought. Kristallnacht of course couldn't eradicate the brilliance of Goethe or Marx and the other literary works that they destroyed, but it was nevertheless, like other hate crimes, a terrible brutish act of rejection, denial and domination which is the intellectual equivalent of what happens in the physical outrages of murder, torture and rape, which along with book burning was a part of that other great crime against the human condition that took place during the Spanish Inquisition and no doubt other instances in other places down the years in our glorious career as a learned enlightened species.

Kindle's nothing like that of course, unless you want to see it in a petty way, but it does aesthetically go against the spirit of human sensitivity in some ways by removing some of the sensory elements that us paper freaks enjoy. Aside from the aspect of theft and invasion of personal space - if Amazon had sold hard text and not soft they wouldn't have recalled anything they'd already sold would they? Legally they're absolutely right to take it off their Kindle catalogue as the supplier wasn't entitled to sell it. Morally they're wrong to remove information/thoughts without permission and that they have sold to people in good faith (although maybe this is a condition of sale when you purchase books on this system - but I bet it's in very small print that isn't scalable... :twisted: )
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:50 pm

I'm reminded also of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 (which I MUST get a copy of one of these days). In that book all writing was banned. The title refers to the temperature at which paper burns and 'firemen' in the story are people who find illegal stashes of books and BURN them. :shock:
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:14 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I'm reminded also of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451

An excellent book, but he nicked the title from Michael Moore! :lol:
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby kakaze » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:12 pm

Dotsie wrote:To save space in my shoe cupboard, he took all my lovely designer shoes out of their boxes, threw them into the bottom of the cupboard, then threw the shoe boxes away

Sounds reasonable to me. :)

And I don't like Michael Moore. He makes me scared to live in America. :cry:

And that's really saying something, considering that I'm currently living in CHINA :shock:
kakaze

Postby chris.ph » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:32 pm

ive just bought a disc with 10000 ebooks on it :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:42 pm

chris.ph wrote:ive just bought a disc with 10000 ebooks on it :)

There was some bugger selling knock off copies of Terry's books as ebooks on eBay. Terry's agent was informed and they were removed from the sale.
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:47 pm

as it happens ive checked and there arent any pterrybooks on it :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:12 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:You can always find something to use as a book mark. :D

But when I use bogies, Dotsie complains!

Reading my "Once more with footnotes" in bed was most bizzarre. I had to use a bookmark and kept thinking about how much I paid for it!

WHAT the bookmark.Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:32 pm

chris.ph wrote:ive just bought a disc with 10000 ebooks on it :)
Eeeee by gum lad.Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby GrayGriffin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:22 am

I LOATHE the very idea of Kindle. What use is a book that you can't really get the feel of? I love to settle large books on my lap. I love flipping through books to find my favorite sections. I love flipbooks and activity books, which will be RUINED by Kindle!

My dad is a moron and wants to make me buy a Kindle. NEVER, I tell him, NEVER! Just because I love my computer doesn't mean I'll love other forms of technology!
GrayGriffin

Postby Batty » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:15 am

Stick to your guns, Gray! Books can give you far more information that computerized displays. With a book you can instantly look up any reference points, i.e. acknowledgements, indexes etc., as well as flick through it to re-read a particular page or check a 'fact'.
It is therefore a better tool for you for studying with than a Kindle.

Tell your dad that you will learn better with a book and he may relent. He isn't a moron though, just someone who is trying to introduce new technology to you, and has your best intentions at heart.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Batty » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:37 pm

When I was of Primary school age, we didn't know what High Tech Gadgets were.
I would've felt modern if Mum had painted 'Go Faster' stripes on the mangle!!
:roll:
Batty

Postby chris.ph » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:28 pm

batty ive got to disagree with you,every bit of imformation in the world is at your fingertips online any thing you want to look up is there in seconds :)
chris.ph

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum