Amazon Takes Back Orwell Books from Reader's Kindle

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Should books be "kindlized" and if so does the seller have the right to retrieve the book without notice?

No - Down with Kindle. I want "real books!"
52%
Yes - failing to modernize is refusing to use technology .
5%
Yes, BUT - once you've bought and paid for it, the Kindle copy is as much yours as a paper copy.
43%

Total votes : 21

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:27 pm

How long do the batteries last? It'd be a bit of a bugger if they're like a mobile and you're on a long train journey across the US and after two stops they die on you. :lol:

And for $185 you could buy a whole load of books.

I read books in the bath, occaisionally I drop them, but they don't usually give me 50,000 volt shocks! :lol:
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby kakaze » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:53 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:If it's a paperback, I'm a page-corner-folder-over!
If it's a hardback with a dust jacket, I use the dust jacket.

well, using the dust-jacket would work on The Colour of Magic, but ever try it on Atlas Shrugged?

And, personally, I rank page folders one step above people who write in books. Of course, if it's your book (not a library book), mutilate away!

If you kept a firm grip on the book instead of being so busy folding corners down, you probably wouldn't drop the books in the tub. Maybe you shouldn't work without a net? :lol:
kakaze

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:59 pm

I barely open my hardbacks - certainly I don't crack the spines - I just peer into them and I take the dust jacket off while I read them and replace it with an old plastic dustcover from an old library book.

I NEVER fold down the corners of a book EVER! It doesn't matter if it's a tatty old copy that I've got from a charity shop, I just couldn't bring myself to doing it. You can always find something to use as a book mark. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:07 pm

Tonyblack wrote:You can always find something to use as a book mark. :D

But when I use bogies, Dotsie complains!

Reading my "Once more with footnotes" in bed was most bizzarre. I had to use a bookmark and kept thinking about how much I paid for it!

And I have no idea what "Atlas shrugged" is.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:12 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:
And I have no idea what "Atlas shrugged" is.
It's a book. :D
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:19 pm

Tonyblack wrote:It's a book. :D

Can I get it kindlized (or whatever), and if I get it can Amazon steal it back from me?
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:22 pm

Wow! It sounds quite interesting. I think I'll buy a copy.
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Batty » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:56 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:If it's a paperback, I'm a page-corner-folder-over!
If it's a hardback with a dust jacket, I use the dust jacket.

Image Image Image Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:10 pm

I thought that comment might cause controvesy. I didn't think the smilies would be out to get me though! Aaarrgghh! :shock:
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby chris.ph » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:59 pm

my misss knows when im getting out of the bath coz she hears the bang of me chucking the book im reading to the otherside of the room, i turn corners over, lose dustjackets coz they annoy me and i take them off when im reading onthe whole i abuse my books. but ive still got my doctor who books from the seventies :D
the sony ereaders better than the kindle and the sony site quite often give books away most recently blood engine by ta pratt
microsoft do a really good ereader for your pc or laptop ive got about 80 in my library so far and they were all free downloads :D :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Dotsie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:23 am

poohbcarrot wrote:If it's a hardback with a dust jacket, I use the dust jacket.

Mr Dotsie does that with my books & it winds me up! :lol: Like Tony, I take the dustjackets off to read the book (although once the dustjacket disappeared - I can't prove it but I think Mr Dotsie might have thrown it away :evil: )

And bogies just traumatise me, plain & simple :shock:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:39 am

Dotsie wrote:
poohbcarrot wrote:If it's a hardback with a dust jacket, I use the dust jacket.

Mr Dotsie does that with my books & it winds me up! :lol: Like Tony, I take the dustjackets off to read the book (although once the dustjacket disappeared - I can't prove it but I think Mr Dotsie might have thrown it away :evil: )

And bogies just traumatise me, plain & simple :shock:
At least if you read your own books, any bogies in there are only likely to be your own. :lol: I usually put the dustcover in the space that is now empty on my bookshelf after taking the book down. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:52 am

Tonyblack wrote:I usually put the dustcover in the space that is now empty on my bookshelf after taking the book down. :wink:

I do that too - the only reason I accuse poor old Mr Dotsie is that he's been known to do this sort of thing before. To save space in my shoe cupboard, he took all my lovely designer shoes out of their boxes, threw them into the bottom of the cupboard, then threw the shoe boxes away :shock: So now he gets the blame for anything going missing, poor man :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:12 am

My ex wife used to throw my books away just because she knew it would annoy and upset me. Just one of the many reasons she's my ex! :evil:
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:27 am

Charming - does she work for Amazon now? :wink:
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum