Amazon Takes Back Orwell Books from Reader's Kindle

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Should books be "kindlized" and if so does the seller have the right to retrieve the book without notice?

No - Down with Kindle. I want "real books!"
52%
Yes - failing to modernize is refusing to use technology .
5%
Yes, BUT - once you've bought and paid for it, the Kindle copy is as much yours as a paper copy.
43%

Total votes : 21

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:16 pm

This is a pretty shocking story. I certainly won't be getting a Kindle or any ebooks from Amazon, I like to hang to stuff I've bought thanks.

I'm in favour of ebooks in general though, I think books smell awful actually, and the last library book I got out had bogies in it so I wouldn't miss books if some kind soul bought me a Sony ereader.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tiffany » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:49 pm

Proper books for me every time. I like the smell of new books, even the musty smell of old books. No way would I ever get an ebook. I like to hold what I read.
I don't have an MP3 either.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Trish » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:54 pm

Tiffany wrote:No way would I ever get an ebook. I like to hold what I read. I don't have an MP3 either.

Exactly. How do you take an e-book to bed with you?
I do have an MP3 player, but can't figure out how the da*n things works.
Trish

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:07 pm

Trish wrote:
Tiffany wrote:No way would I ever get an ebook. I like to hold what I read. I don't have an MP3 either.

Exactly. How do you take an e-book to bed with you?

Err, is that a trick question?

I do have an MP3 player, but can't figure out how the da*n things works.

Don't you know any small children who can teach you? :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby chris.ph » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:16 pm

you dont have to drag your pc to bed with you mind an ebook reader is the about the same size as an average hardback
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:30 pm

And as they are backlit, in theory you could read one in the dark. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:03 pm

yes you can, but you cant fall asleep and just drop them ,they tend not to work afterwards and it costs more than a bent page :shock:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Cheery » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:29 am

My vote's for normal books. No way I'll ever read an ebook. I don't want to sit at the computer when I want to read a good book. With a normal book, it's a lot more comfortable. (And if your PC shuts down, you'll have a problem)
Cheery

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:02 am

Cheery wrote:My vote's for normal books. No way I'll ever read an ebook. I don't want to sit at the computer when I want to read a good book. With a normal book, it's a lot more comfortable. (And if your PC shuts down, you'll have a problem)
You don't need to sit at a computer to read an eBook - you get an eBook reader. This is what the Amazon Kindle looks like:

Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:56 am

As I thought - scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll. Silly bloody things :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:36 am

Turn turn turn turn careful of the bogies turn turn turn :lol:
Dotsie

Postby Cheery » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:59 am

I still like pages better (scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll... and you get a cramp in your thumb...)
Cheery

Postby kakaze » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:39 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Setting fire to books is the most heinous crime in civilised cultures :evil:

Yes, much worse than murder, torture, and rape. :P

As for "invasion of privacy", no doubt you have to agree to give Amazon access to your kindle in order for them to send and/or update the files you buy.

On the other hand, if they delete files without the kindle owner's permission, that means that they are taking a position of responsibility (unlike eBay's official stance) and should therefore hold themselves accountable for the money that was fraudulently charged through them.

The scrolling's probably not too bad. At least you wouldn't need to go hunting for your bookmark (I can never seem to keep track of mine). The thing I don't like is the effect of the screen on your eyes. I love my laptop, but I can tell that it's ruining my vision (again). :roll:
kakaze

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:01 pm

kakaze wrote:At least you wouldn't need to go hunting for your bookmark (I can never seem to keep track of mine).

If it's a paperback, I'm a page-corner-folder-over!
If it's a hardback with a dust jacket, I use the dust jacket.

How much does one of them their Kindling-jobbie-gizmoes cost?

(If someone has already mentioned the price, my apologies :oops: )
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:10 pm

$185 by the looks of it. They are only available (as far as I know) in the US from Amazon.com. :?
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum