Strangest job you've ever had?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Strangest job you've ever had?

Postby Joolz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:08 pm

Cleaning the aeration systems on sewage farms Involved small boats, life jackets,face-masks and shoulder length rubber gloves......And I'm not too keen on chocolate mousse anymore ;)
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

Postby Antiq » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:37 pm

I don't think I've had any really strange jobs. A little unusual maybe - cel-painter for Don Bluth animations, archeological artifact illustrator.
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:00 pm

I once had to describe jewellry to a blind lady who was interested in buying it at a local fete.

Odd experience.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:29 pm

More like the stupidest job I've ever had.. making cotton candy at an ice cream counter in a supermarket. It ruined my shoes and I think I quit after 3 days.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Penfold » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:23 am

I don't think I've had what you could call strange jobs but I've had a couple of what I think are interesting ones. :D

Mainly I've been a croupier, since age 20, which has taken me to working on a couple of cruise ships and spending 7½ years in South Africa. In South Africa I also moonlighted as a Game Ranger on my days off, taking people out on Safari in and around Kruger National Park and a few smaller parks in the Eastern Transvaal. This was probably the best time of my life (so far) and it was a shame I couldn't get a work permit to do it full time before having to return to the UK. :D

I did have a spell of eighteen months as an On-Street Parking Attendant (also called, incorrectly, a Traffic Warden or complete barsteward). :twisted: I can categorically and honestly state that we did not have targets, nor were we on commission for issuing tickets (the most common question I get asked :lol: ).
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby jaznbonnie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:19 am

Kind of a toss up for me. I worked as a secretary for the Repo Man for a couple of months - not fun. I worked on a small tour boat (previously a ferry boat) on Humboldt Bay in Eurkeka, CA as a cocktail waitress/bartender. The boat was piloted by a man we nicknamed Captain Bligh. And I also worked the ticket booth for the Black & White Ball in San Francisco. Those without tickets who wanted a wristband to gain entry tried to bribe us. Got a bit risque. :oops:
Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Postby deldaisy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:36 pm

My first ever job as a teen in the school hols was giving head jobs.

Well head MASSAGES I should say. Swanky hair dressing salon and it was my job to take over after the conditioner was on the hair, and massage the society ladies noggins for 10 to 15 minutes so that they reached a state of nirvana by the time they were rinsed and sent to the setters. I was bloody good at it and was reserved for the very best clientel (which got me out of sweeping floors, washing out dye bowls or doing any of the grotty work). :lol: :lol:

Last Friday I had a huge promotion do to at the mall in the city (la te da!) Three levels of swanky shops for the day. I filled the top floor food court without even going there but by far the most fun I had was promoting the exclusive and very expensive imported french lingerie boutique where I purred into the microphone the seductive qualities of the scanty but gorgeous silk ladies undergarments to the passing stockbrokers on their lunch breaks. Hard to keep up the breathy patter as at least four of them almost broke their knees walking into the bench on the footpath outside the entrance as they walked furiously along while oggling the lingerie. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:24 pm

When I got my hair cut the other week, the girl doing the washing gave me a head massage. It was wonderful.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby chris.ph » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:30 pm

see thats wot us bald blokes are missing, some young bird giving our head a good rub ;) :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Big Aggie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:54 pm

chris.ph wrote:see thats wot us bald blokes are missing, some young bird giving our head a good rub ;) :lol: :lol:

:shock: :roll:
I'll tak' yer heid aff, ya big pile o'jobbies.
Big Aggie

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:57 pm

Working in the scrapyard for Rolls Royce Motors. It was my job to ensure that any substandard parts were totally destroyed before being removed from the site. I would spend my day hitting cast aluminium engine blocks and body panels with a sledgehammer or sawing up wooden facia panels and bending or otherwise trashing anything else delivered to the secure yard.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum