Strangest job you've ever had?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Strangest job you've ever had?

Postby Trish » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:01 pm

I just got the confirmation mail that I will be a movie extra this Saturday.

Got me to thinking of some of the "odd" jobs I've had in the past.

You?
Trish

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:16 pm

Not so much odd as really cushy. One of my jobs in the Post Office involved me going out in the Head Postmaster's official car with the chauffer once a week. We would drive all over rural South Wales checking on telephone boxes. This was a case of me getting out, looking at the box and marking on a sheet if it needed cleaning or repairing.

That was a real nice car and a very easy job. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:30 pm

My worst job, though probably not strange, was having to clean 27 toilets, they hadn't been used I hasten to add, they were all in a new block of 'posh' appartments. Unfortunately the builders had a problem with the plumbing & had to sort them out, they made a devil of a mess doing it too & I had to clean then all afterwards.

I also worked for many years with horses, doing everything. The worst job I had there was helping the vet to cut a colt, :oops: unexpectedly born to one of the riding ponies, they didn't know when they got her she was in foal. The foal was 9 months old & getting far to interested in the other mares, so they called the vet in. I really felt for the poor little chap & I'm female. :shock: :shock:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:13 pm

Well, people pay us to let them shoot at each other...

http://www.danukepaintballgames.com
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Re: Strangest job you've ever had?

Postby kakaze » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:59 am

Trish wrote:I just got the confirmation mail that I will be a movie extra this Saturday.

Got me to thinking of some of the "odd" jobs I've had in the past.

You?

I sell virtual money for an online RPG game.

It's always struck me as very odd that people would spend so much money on something that doesn't even exist.
kakaze

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:05 pm

A moneylender huh? *hisses* :lol:

I was a civil servant which is naturally silly before you even open your mouth or pick up a pen or a mouse even...

OK silliest job I did by a long chalk was checking Probate applications (and Letters of Administration for people who hadn't made wills which is what Probate is about). We had computer records and so the 'vital' task I had to do whilst making sure everything was in order was to underline (always in pencil never biro or ink!) important info for the typists/data inputters to lift onto the records database - so names addresses age and how much dosh was tied up in the estate :oops:

Boy did I feel important! :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Trish » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:32 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:Well, people pay us to let them shoot at each other...
http://www.danukepaintballgames.com

Cool. Another life imitates art.
Baudelaire would be proud.
Trish

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:14 pm

One of the strangest things I've had to do, was to describe jewellery to a blind woman.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby chris.ph » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:23 pm

having to lay on a skateboard onmy back an push myself up a pipe to check the joints :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby kakaze » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:06 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:A moneylender huh? *hisses* :lol:

Lending? No. More like selling fake money.

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Boy did I feel important! :twisted:

I've got another one.

I used to work in the microlithography department in a computer chip factory. There were six of these machines that would spread an even coat of goo onto the silicone disk (looked like a DVD).

My job was to stand there, all night, watching the machines. If one of them broke I was to turn it off and then call maintenance to come and fix it.

Talk about boring.

The worst part was I had to stand directly under a micron air-filter that sounded just like those white-noise generators that people buy to help them sleep!
kakaze

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:12 pm

I once had a strange job - putting bottle tops on lettuces. :o

There was a farm fairly near where I lived that took on casual workers on a day-to-day basis and they had a whole field full of tiny lettuces just growing. They wanted them thinned out, so we had to go along and put pop bottle screw caps on lettuces that were about 12 inches apart. The idea was that they then sprayed the field killing off all the uncovered ones and leaving the covered ones more space to grow.

I don't actually know if it worked as one day doing that was quite enough for me. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby kakaze » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:32 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I once had a strange job - putting bottle tops on lettuces. :o

There was a farm fairly near where I lived that took on casual workers on a day-to-day basis and they had a whole field full of tiny lettuces just growing. They wanted them thinned out, so we had to go along and put pop bottle screw caps on lettuces that were about 12 inches apart. The idea was that they then sprayed the field killing off all the uncovered ones and leaving the covered ones more space to grow.

I don't actually know if it worked as one day doing that was quite enough for me. :lol:

wouldn't it have been more efficient to have just handed you a pair of sheers and had you snip the extranious lettuce-heads?
kakaze

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:36 pm

The lettuces were so small that we could have just pulled out the extras - I really don't know why they did it that way. :roll:
Tonyblack

Re: Strangest job you've ever had?

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:00 pm

kakaze wrote:I sell virtual money for an online RPG game.

It's always struck me as very odd that people would spend so much money on something that doesn't even exist.

I play Everquest... we get spams allll the time and you never know if buying the "plat" will get you banned or not. Sigh...lots of people do buy it tho.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby wolfiess » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:24 am

i use to stick needles in people (body piercer) and some of the places people wanted them are a bit strange.
i get enough exercise just pushing my luck
wolfiess

Next

Return to The Broken Drum