Discworld-y cities

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:13 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Ankh-Morpork is the epitome of sleaze and so it equates with many similar place - here's how I tried to describe the Big Wahooni in aesthetic terms to some friends who don't know much about Discworld

Jano on some other forum wrote:In essence Ankh-Morpork is a little like a medieval version of 1960s New York, Buda and Pest in the late 1800s, the London of Charles Dickens and 1920s Chicago or Berlin. It is in short a very interesting place to live.

That's perfect! :lol:
Catch-up

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:15 am

:roll: Yup
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:25 am

*bows* - It's always the people who give a city it's flavour and attitude - there's nowhere quite like A-M naturally (and literally too of course)but analogies speak volumes and those places are all a little bit like pieces of an A-M atmos jig-saw. :wink:

If you've ever seen the film version of the musical Oliver then that's how I see the physical Shades - it was on a satellite channel this weekend and I caught the bit where Fagin sends Dodger and the rest of his Thieves Kitchen off for work and all those labyrinthine muddy gullies and bridges with rickety plank bridges - you can certainly smell the river/canal and that whole dishevelled and disreputable area to the east of St. Pauls (you see the dome in the distance). Even as late as 1930s that area was a virtual no-go area for the police or their predecessors, between the docks and where Liverpool St Station was built - it was the home of whole underclass of displaced European refugees, whores, opium dens and criminals including most famously Jack the Ripper... :shock:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Cheery » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:58 pm

I wouldn't have liked to live in London at that time :shock:

Oh, and doesn't Carcer remind you a little bit of him? Both murdered in public areas, were cycopaths, killed people for no reasons and somehow managed to get away from the scene before anyone could capture them. The only difference is that Carcer didn't do things as secret as the Ripper and that he was captured in the end. Then again Carcer may be the Discworld-Ripper. And both the names "Carcer" and "Ripper" sound pretty nasty.
Cheery

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:05 pm

A few years ago my Dutch friend Esther came to visit and we spent a few days in London. We did the Jack The Ripper Walk which was great fun. You meet up after dark and a guide takes you around all the streets and shows you where the murders took place. It really does get quite eerie. :shock:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Batty » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:13 pm

I did the Jack The Ripper walk 2 years ago, Tony. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I also did the Ghost Walk, although it turned out to be a history of London around the area of St. Paul's with the odd mention of a ghost sighting. I still enjoyed it though.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:17 pm

Batty wrote:I did the Jack The Ripper walk 2 years ago, Tony. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I also did the Ghost Walk, although it turned out to be a history of London around the area of St. Paul's with the odd mention of a ghost sighting. I still enjoyed it though.
We did the Highgate Walk as well - very interesting and you get to see where all the famous people live - Sting, Jonathan Pryce, Terry Gilliam and others. :D This is not the Highgate Cemetery Walk though.
Tonyblack

Postby Cheery » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:21 pm

I'll definatly do the Jack the Ripper walk when I visit London the next time. :D (Didn't even know there was one)
Cheery

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:27 pm

Cheery wrote:I'll definatly do the Jack the Ripper walk when I visit London the next time. :D (Didn't even know there was one)

More details HERE Cheery. :D
Last edited by Tonyblack on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:28 pm

There's loads of brilliant curry and balti restaurants in that area these days - and some wonderful antique/bric a brac markets on Sundays too
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Cheery » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:42 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Cheery wrote:I'll definatly do the Jack the Ripper walk when I visit London the next time. :D (Didn't even know there was one)

More details HERE Cheery. :D

Oooooo... :shock:
Now I'm definatly sure, Carcer's Ankh-Morpork's Ripper...
Cheery

Postby kakaze » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:08 am

I thought Jack the Ripper only attacked prostitutes? I always assumed that there must have been some reasoning behind his attacks.
kakaze

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:51 am

kakaze wrote:I thought Jack the Ripper only attacked prostitutes? I always assumed that there must have been some reasoning behind his attacks.
From what I've read about the murders, I'm not even sure it was the same man as the modus operandi wasn't the same on all the victims.

Here's a Wiki on the Ripper - I particularly like the poster there - it sounds very DW. :lol:

If you are really interested in The Ripper do NOT get Patricia Cornwell's book on the subject as it's a complete load of tripe. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Cheery » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:31 am

kakaze wrote:I thought Jack the Ripper only attacked prostitutes? I always assumed that there must have been some reasoning behind his attacks.

That's right, but still... There are similarities.
Cheery

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:15 pm

Most of the murders were the same MO but definitely a copycat was in there too.

I think the 'bona fide' victims were largely professional ladies or associated trades in that they lived or had reason to be in the same area where the crimes were committed - I think the most popular theories centered around Jack having some surgical knowledge and possibly pointed to him (or indeed her although unlikely in those days) being an abortionist :?

Only one thing's for certain - whoever killed those unfortunate women was absolutely a psychopath, as was Carcer
Jan Van Quirm

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum