Bookcase

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Bookcase

Postby MattK » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:40 pm

Since all of us here are readers I figured I would share a bookcase I designed and built last year. It has since come to my attention (usually around midnight with a loud thud!) that the peg connections on the back of the shelflettes weren't terribly durable. So I've been working on replacing them with keyhole hangers (like the stationary connection on a chain lock for a door) that are much stronger and won't slip on me.

I always got frustrated with bookcases that had movable shelves, only because I almost always ended up wasting a lot of space with one really tall book. So I wracked my brain--and what a struggle it was--to try and solve the problem. Here's the result:

Full Frontal. :o

Closer look at the scroll-work on top.

Underneath of the shelflette.

Detail of the back of the shelflette.

Bottom half of the case. Part of my TP collection is in there. :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:08 pm

What a lovely bit of wood! What type of wood is that Matt? The grain on it is gorgeous - love the design too. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby MattK » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:15 pm

Thanks Tony. Everything but the back is solid maple. My aunt's maple tree got struck by lightning so she decided to plane it into boards. I got the wood off of her really cheap. The back is 3/4" birch plywood. Backings aren't normally that thick, but with how everything connects I had to go that route. It's incredibly heavy. :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:22 pm

Well you certainly would want that to fall you Matt,I have all but one of my shelfs adjustable not talented enough to build one. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Trish » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:13 am

That is nice...

I need about 6 bookcases that size. We have 4 floor-to-ceiling in the den, 3 4-footers in my bedroom, 1 floor-to-ceiling in my daughter's and her 2 short bookcases. Plus the big one in the living room and the one in the kitchen.

Yes, the books are taking over the house....
Trish

Postby MattK » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:19 am

All those books in one place... be careful of L-space. You don't want to go looking for a book and wind up in the 12th dimension. And thank you. :)

If anyone wants the specs and the how-to, let me know. I'll have to convert to metric if you're... well, anywhere but the U.S. But that shouldn't be a problem.
MattK

Postby Batty » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:51 pm

That bookcase is amazing, MattK.
The full frontal photo gives the best overall design. The wood looks lovely, but surely you will need very strong floorboards to stand it on?
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby MattK » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:00 pm

Thanks Batty. :)

I can't imagine you'd need anything special. The house I'm in is just an old stick-built house from the '60s. When we ripped up the carpet a few years back to change it, there was just the standard sub flooring underneath. The bookcase is still really heavy, but I was able to get it upstairs no problem with a helper. It's no heavier than a dresser or armoire. While I was finishing it (happy fumes, happy fumes!) I could carry it outside by myself no problem. All in all it's probably about 25-30 kg.

Edit: I forgot to add in the original post that the connection holes drilled in the back are every 4 inches (err ~10 cm.), so you can pretty much customize it as you want.
MattK

Postby Stultus Saxum » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:08 pm

Now that's a gorgeous bookcase.

*mutters to self "I wants one, I wants one"*

I'll have to go looking for a tree I can 'strike' with lightning. Timber at our local timber merchant doesn't come cheap... and the birds that used to sit in the trees from which it all comes don't go cheep in them anymore, either...
Stultus Saxum

Postby Trish » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:30 pm

MattK wrote:All those books in one place... be careful of L-space.

I forgot the 4 metal shelves pressed into service in our 'sunroom,' 2 completely full of books. The others handle Easter baskets. light bulbs, thermoses, extension cords, extra nuts /bolts /wall anchors and the necessaries of a house.

And the gun cabinet. It's old, dates about 1885 and has "wavy" glass.
My father converted it from a china closet; half boxlocks and half books.

L-space is happening in Ohio. Definitely.
Trish

Postby chris.ph » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:37 pm

very nice bookcase matt. id use 4inch nails to secure the shelves :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby MattK » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:25 pm

chris.ph wrote:very nice bookcase matt. id use 4inch nails to secure the shelves :lol:

But then they wouldn't move. :)

Damn, I should start selling these since everyone likes them so much. :P
MattK

Postby chris.ph » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:30 pm

dont knock the nails in all the way then you can sdjust the height of the shelves by ripping the nails out and hammering them back in at the required level :lol: :lol: (can you tell im a builder)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tiffany » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:34 pm

A very clever idea Matt. I like their design.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:40 pm

We were never allowed to use nails when I did woodwork in school - everything had to be done with joints. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Next

Return to The Broken Drum