Introduction

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:07 pm

chris.ph wrote:there are basically two different types of english , proper english and that americanized english the upstarts use on the other side of the pond :wink:

Egads man, you'll have me re-writing that blasted country song next... I'm Proud to be just a Big Ole Upstart!!! :twisted: Hells Bells, we can't even agree on how to pronounce things. Just ask anyone from California - Seattle side to speak with someone from Boston - Maine, then sit back and watch the fireworks. :lol: :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:16 pm

I love the way some people pronounce Missouri. :lol: And what's going on with Arkansas?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby MattK » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:25 pm

Tonyblack wrote:And what's going on with Arkansas?

Do you mean with the spelling, or just in general?
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:27 pm

MattK wrote:

There are laws on the books which explain that unless you pronounce it Our-Kansas you can be jailed.

Edit: or R-Kansas
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:42 pm

MattK wrote:

:lol: The spelling = the pronunciation. Yes, I know that British spellings and pronunciations make no sense at all.

English is a bastardisation of a language - it's right that it should get mangled. Until the first dictionaries (and long after) people spelled things pretty much how they wanted to. Communication was more important than standardization. I personally don't have a problem with Americanisms either in spelling or pronunciation - I think it makes for a more interesting world. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Cheery » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:59 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
MattK wrote:

:lol: The spelling = the pronunciation. Yes, I know that British spellings and pronunciations make no sense at all.

English is a bastardisation of a language - it's right that it should get mangled. Until the first dictionaries (and long after) people spelled things pretty much how they wanted to. Communication was more important than standardization. I personally don't have a problem with Americanisms either in spelling or pronunciation - I think it makes for a more interesting world. :wink:

You know, it's even worse with Swiss german. We speak Swiss, but write german, so it's actually an unwritten language. If someone writes Swiss german, they write it however they want. It depends on which dialect they have.
And there are LOTS of different dialects (in a very small area) and some of them are pretty strange. For example the people in Bern swallow half the words and in canton Vallis (down in the alp-area) you could think, they've invented a whole new language.
Cheery

Postby swreader » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:16 am

Cheery, I intend to watch The Man from Snowy River tonight - with subtitles (English)- I know exactly what you mean about having difficulty, and I, at least, theoretically speak the same lanugage. I've had to do the same with a few Brit films also.

Tina, the Arkansaw River is correctly pronouced "Our Kansaw" while it's running through my home state of Kansas :D Elsewhere, your pronunciation is correct. Oh yes, then there's Arkansas City, Kansas--same deal. Those folks over in Little Rock and vicinity just don't know how to pronounce the name of their state.

And most important - Welcome Matt! 8) from Sunny Arizona. Where in Colorado did you grow up? I'm from a town in Kansas with an oxymornonic name - Libreral, Kansas :D
swreader

Postby MattK » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:10 am

Thanks swreader, I'm really liking the forums so far.

I actually grew up in Lancaster, PA. I was out in Loveland, Colorado for about a year-and-a-half for school. It's nice to be back on the east coast (sometimes). I went to a concert and checked out the Mutter Museum in Philly yesterday. Medical oddities and good music... you won't find those two together out west too often unless the circus happens to be in town.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum