Happy Fourth of July!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:21 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:
Cheery wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:A bunch of us were queueing up for the fancy dress contest (I was wearing an armband)

I'd love to meet him one day

I'd love to meet him too! 8)

Tony, you were wearing an armband at a fancy dress contest?!
Clarecraft had announced that anyone taking part in the Monstrous Regiment themed fancy dress would get a 'special' shilling with the Duchess on.

Well one enterprising person dressed as a recruiting sergeant and recruited a whole batch of us as the Borogravian Foreign Legion. Our uniform was an armband and the whole company was marched on stage and all got a shilling. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:23 pm

So let's see this shilling then!
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:31 pm

There you go Pooh. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Oooh! I like that!
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Catch-up » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:59 pm

Happy Independance Day!

We took the girls to see the fireworks at a local park last night. They were spectacular! :D Of course, we forgot our camera. :roll:
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:01 pm

Catch-up wrote:Happy Independance Day!

We took the girls to see the fireworks at a local park last night. They were spectacular! :D Of course, we forgot our camera. :roll:
They nearly had to cancel the ones in Tucson due to the city budget - but local companies stepped in and paid instead. :D
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:04 pm

Happy .............. Day? :lol:

I'm going to bed!
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Trish » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:04 pm

mspanners wrote:The US never got independance , it got kicked out of the Empire for missbehaving!

Probably.

Ok, what is marmite?
Trish

Postby Catch-up » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Trish wrote:
mspanners wrote:The US never got independance , it got kicked out of the Empire for missbehaving!

Probably.

Ok, what is marmite?

Marmite.... shudders. Some kind (?) soul sent some to me to try. I don't even know how to describe it. I think it's made from yeast? It's brown and sticky. I did try it a few times before I completely gave up on it. Ick.
Catch-up

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:08 pm

Over in Iraq, there were British soldiers as well as Americans. One day they decided to have an American Style Football game. The referee was a British soldier, as he flipped the coin to decide who got to recieve first, he explained the coin.

He said " On one side of the coin is an Eagle Rampant, with two arrows clutched... on the other side is the General for the Insurgents. :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:14 pm

Trish wrote:

Probably.

Ok, what is marmite?
I take a couple of jars over with me when I go over. It's an aquired taste and a lot of us Brits were brought up with it.

Australians have a version called Vegemite. This video shows some American girls trying Vegemite for the first time.
Some joker has told them that you have to put lots on - you DON'T! :lol:

The results are hilarious.
Tonyblack

Postby MattK » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:42 pm

From here:
The savory spread is made from a concentrated yeast sludge, a byproduct of the beer brewing process.

And from Wikipedia:
Some suggest that the consumption of Marmite can ward off mosquitoes,[22] the reasoning being that the skin gives off a scent, unnoticeable to humans, but which mosquitoes find unappealing

So, after eating it, you ooze a smell so bad that mosquitoes won't even come near you... sounds appetizing. Hey, didn't Rincewind accidentally make something like this in The Last Continent?
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK

Postby Annebn » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:00 pm

Happy fourth of July!

(And I think what Rincewind made was Vegemite, which is the Australian version -although I'm not sure what the difference is)
"But you read a lot of books, I'm thinking. Hard to have faith, ain't it, when you've read too many books?"
-- Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Annebn

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:54 pm

Annebn wrote:Happy fourth of July!

(And I think what Rincewind made was Vegemite, which is the Australian version -although I'm not sure what the difference is)
There's a difference in taste and texture between Vegemite and Marmite, but they are both similar.

And yes, the inference is that Rincewind invented Vegemite in The Last Continent. :D

How the hell did this thread go from the USA to Australia so quickly? :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby MattK » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:33 pm

We're a fast thinking group. Besides, Aussies and Yankees are both pretty similar. Except that you really didn't want the Aussies hanging around your island.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum