Explaining your avatar and/or signature.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Explaining your avatar and/or signature.

Postby Quatermass » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:46 am

My new avatar is part of the artwork from the inside of the booklet for Doctor Who: Dark Eyes 2: Eyes of the Master. It shows both the Eighth Doctor and the Master, and was taken from a scan done for another forum.

The quote is from the trailer for Dark Eyes 2, and has the Master mocking the Doctor for his attitude to the Daleks. The Doctor, partway through, interrupts, insisting "It wasn't planned, none of it was planned!"
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby RolandItwasntmyfault » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:26 am

My avatar was drawn by myself. Concerning avatars or character pictures for roleplay gaming I am somewhat peculiar and so mostly I directly grab the pen myself. Usually I am rather reluctant to explain my pictures or the often insertet and intended jokes. Except if at the whole it is a little bit too tiny to detect the details (like in this tiny avatar box here at the left). Therefore I have uploaded my avatar at photobucket so you can watch it on a larger scale.
The painting resembles a picture I got while reading Wintersmith, concerning a big wee laddie, a heavy sword and... well, you see. :mrgreen:

My signature contains two of my very very favourite quotations from DW books (which itself indeed are two of my favourite books).

The first is Dibbler's catchphrase from Moving pictures, one of my very first DW novels I read (the second I think). The thousand elephants have stuck in my brain. Every time somebody is speaking very exaggerated, very enthusiastically, hyperbowling then the thought jumps in my head or even I would call it out loud in addition: "And a thousand elephants!"

The second phrase is Ridcully's diagnosis from Hogfather, concerning the bursar and a well-known thinking engine. It is one of the very rare sentences which I think is in the german translation a little bit more cynical and funny, albeit lesser accurate in translation. Here is says "Menschliche Dummheit schlägt künstliche Intelligenz jederzeit.", meaning "Human Stupidity" (instead of "Real stupidity"... hm... okay, this may be the same :lol: ;)). I like this phrase in both versions, always reminding me of the saying "99 % of all computer problems are sitting between chair and keyboard". :D
"A thousand elephants!" (Moving Pictures)
"Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." (Hogfather)
RolandItwasntmyfault

Postby janet » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:12 am

It's the honorary doctorate awarded to the Klatchian prince by Unseen University in Jingo. Doctor of Sweet Fanny Adams :lol:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:25 pm

Ye Gods, how did this happen :shock:

10,000 posts and just short (by a week) of 4 years on this forum. Definitely time for a new avatar and it had better be something special :D

Well how about the model book created for Terry to mark the 25th anniversary of his first book, The Carpet People. These are representative copies of the original edition and one was made in silver and presented to Terry by Transworld. Colin Smythe, and I believe 3 other people, have bronze versions. This is one of those:

Last edited by The Mad Collector on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby phalarope » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:31 pm

Congratulations Mad! :clap:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.'
-- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips
phalarope

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:55 pm

Congratulations on the 10 K and the new avatar. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Conforumist » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:49 pm

A right splendid number Mad!

Carry on! :clap:
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby chris.ph » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:16 am

well done mad :clap: :clap:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby janet » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:25 am

Congratulations Mad! Beautiful object to have as an avatar too :clap:
janet

Postby Quatermass » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:33 am

Nice.

Anyway, my avatar is obviously the Twelfth Doctor, as played by Peter Capaldi, and the signature is a quote from his debut story.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby chillicamper » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:22 am

janet wrote:It's the honorary doctorate awarded to the Klatchian prince by Unseen University in Jingo. Doctor of Sweet Fanny Adams :lol:

Not sure if I've posted the story of the grisly origins of the phrase Sweet Fanny Adams before. Heres the Wiki link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanny_Adams

Fanny Adams grave is in Alton about 5 miles from where I live. And there's a building (previously a pub/reastaurant called The Leathern Bottle) just down the road from where I now work where all her body parts were reassembled :shock:

Unsurprisingly its said to be haunted, with many previous owners having stories of things going bump in the night!
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby janet » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:47 pm

Sure Chilli, I'd heard the story before (but not in such detail and not whilst eating lunch :shock: )
My version of the expression was more in line with Sir Terry's somewhat coarser interpretation, or, Doctor of Sweet FA.
janet

Postby Catch-up » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:00 am

Very nice Mad! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Penfold » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:42 am

Congratulations and very nice Mad. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:04 pm

Well done Mad, Wellcome to the 10K club.Image :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum