What's your all-time favourite song?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

What's your all-time favourite song?

Postby Cheery » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:36 pm

So, what is your fav song?

Mine's Comptine d'un autre été written by Yann Tiersen. It's such a beutiful piece, It made me cry the first time i heard it.
Cheery

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:39 pm

Happy Birthday To You. Whenever it's sung to me, presents soon follow :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:23 pm

"The drugs don't work" by the Verve. I love the lyrics.

The singer is so depressed coz his girlfriend left him that he wants to kill himself. So he takes drugs to ease the pain. But when he takes drugs, he hallucinates and sees his ex-girlfriend and feels even worse. Then he comes down from the high and wants to kill himself again because he feels so bad. So he takes drugs and feels even worse again, but he can see his girlfriend etc etc etc.

"Like a cat in a bag waiting to drown each time I'm coming down.
Now the drugs don't work, they just make you worse, but I know I'll see your face again.
When heaven calls (suicide) I'm coming to.
Just like you said, if you leave my life I'm better off dead."

In the end he decides to stay high for the rest of his life, which he'll hate, but at least he'll be with his ex-girlfriend in his dream

"Never coming down now, never coming down no more, no more no more"

Or Puff the Magic Dragon coz it always makes me sad! :cry:
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby mspanners » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:24 pm

Mr Blue sky by the ELO.... full lenght version and not the chopped one they used to play on the radio.
mspanners

Postby Cheery » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:39 pm

mspanners wrote:Mr Blue sky by the ELO.... full lenght version and not the chopped one they used to play on the radio.

Yes, that's a good one! :D
Love the live-version
Cheery

Postby Cheery » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:42 pm

Just listened "drugs don't work". It's a really touching song. Poor guy. :cry:
Cheery

Postby Batty » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:43 pm

mspanners wrote:Mr Blue sky by the ELO.... full lenght version and not the chopped one they used to play on the radio.

It always irritates me when the cut the ending off. I generally join in (on the full length version) right up to the end of 'please turn me o-ver'.
I saw ELO in concert at Wembley, courtesy of a newspaper competition when I won 2 tickets, and I really enjoyed the concert.

I quite like sad songs though. I won't mention which ones as there are too many to list, and you'll think that I'm a manic depressive, or something!
If push comes to shove though, I've always thought that one of the best songs ever made is 'I'm Not In Love' by 10cc.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:45 pm

Batty wrote:I quite like sad songs though. I won't mention which ones as there are too many to list, and you'll think that I'm a manic depressive, or something!
If push comes to shove though, I've always thought that one of the best songs ever made is 'I'm Not In Love' by 10cc.

That's not a sad song. It's about someone who claims he isn't in love, but really is!
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Batty » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:00 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:
Batty wrote:I quite like sad songs though. I won't mention which ones as there are too many to list, and you'll think that I'm a manic depressive, or something!

That's not a sad song. It's about someone who claims he isn't in love, but really is!

Sorry. pooh. I didn't make myself clear. APART from the sad songs, one of the best songs ever made ... :oops:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:16 pm

Batty - it was perfectly clear you didn't mean it was sad! :D Go on go for it - pick on him! - he's sitting up and begging for it! PMSL :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:21 pm

relax by frankie goes to hollywood :lol:
not that one really, sweet dreams by the eurythmics is probably up there
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Cheery » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:30 pm

chris.ph wrote:relax by frankie goes to hollywood :lol:
not that one really, sweet dreams by the eurythmics is probably up there

Sweet dreams: Now, there's a song that really gets stuck in your brain. I couldn't get rid of it for days the last time I heard it.
Cheery

Postby superfurryandy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:36 pm

Too difficult, way too difficult.

Up there somewhere:

Unfinished Sympathy - Massive Attack
Thieves Like Us - New Order
Several SFA tracks (incl. Demons, Slow Life and Hermann Loves Pauline)
Several Elbow tracks (incl. Powder Blue and Tower Crane Driver)
Fight the Power - Public Enemy
Chime - Orbital
So What - Miles Davis

I'd better stop now.
superfurryandy

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:04 pm

Fur Elise by Beethoven and many written by Bach. Sweet Dreams because of Annie Lennox, Closer to the Heart and Most of the Rush songs, because Geddy can Write. And Little Wing by Jimi.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Batty » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:38 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Batty - it was perfectly clear you didn't mean it was sad! :D Go on go for it - pick on him! - he's sitting up and begging for it! PMSL :lol:

Well, I was going to be polite and calm, considering the post about everyone being nice to each other, but as I'm easily led and I suspect pooh of enjoying a little punishment, then, pooh - This is for you ...

After a bout in the ring, you could always sing the Thompson Twins 'Doctor. Doctor' ... Image (The fact that I mentioned a song should keep this topic on track!)
Batty

Next

Return to The Broken Drum