So what exactly happens at a Discworld Convention, then?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

So what exactly happens at a Discworld Convention, then?

Postby poohbcarrot » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:17 am

Having never been to a Discworld Convention and knowing absolutely nothing about what happens, could someone enlighten me, please?

Is it worth treating myself to a 50th birthday prezzie, jumping on a plane and going to Brum next year?

Is there a lot of quaffing involved?

Does everyone dress up?
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Re: So what exactly happens at a Discworld Convention, then?

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:35 am

poohbcarrot wrote:Having never been to a Discworld Convention and knowing absolutely nothing about what happens, could someone enlighten me, please?

Is it worth treating myself to a 50th birthday prezzie, jumping on a plane and going to Brum next year?

Does everyone dress up?

I am wondering myself for the US one?

If there is a lot of quaffing I am glad that I am staying in the hotel where the Con is at. I think I will have enough of a problem finding my own room let alone another hotel somewhere in a strange city! :shock:
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby chris.ph » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:32 pm

there are some photos of one on here somewhere. lots of trannys there for some reason including a long haired ginger mod :lol:
ive never been either but my misses wont let me as she thinks ill just drink the weekend away :roll: for a change :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby WannabeAngua » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:29 pm

I bet there's loads of quaffing.....and quite a lot of singing about glod :wink:
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:59 pm

There is a serious lot of quaffing,fun times,banquet,more quaffing,dealers room with lots of Discworld goodies,stamps,books, Oh! did I mention beer,talks,masquerade,normally a preview of the latest film, and I have probably forgotten a couple of things but you get the drift. I could not think of a better 50th pressie for yourself and you could always visit Bernards shop in Wincanton. Have fun I will see you there if you come. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:53 am

What I am wondering about is most of the artists (if not all) are from overseas and it would cost a fortune in either shipping costs or extra luggage or Luggage costs, so how much items would there be for sale at the US con?
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:47 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:dealers room with lots of Discworld goodies,stamps,books

You can buy and sell rare TP books?
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:53 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:You can buy and sell rare TP books?

You'll probably need to be registered to sell anything (it's set up like a market), but yes you might find a rare book. "Once more with footnotes" was there in 2006, before all the hype though.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Omnia » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:55 pm

A Discworld Convention is a family meeting :D I guarantee you, if you've read a discworld book then you won't feel out of place.

- Do wear a witches/wizards hat ~ only about a third of the membership dresses up in costume, but they will make you feel very envious if you're dressed in jeans and a t'shirt (which is the norm btw.)

- Oh, and wear comfortable, non lace-up shoes ~ there will be queues :wink:

- There is only a lot of quaffing involved if you want there to be quaffing :D Honestly ~ four drinks over the whole four day weekend. It's expensive :roll:

Among the things to look forward to will be recieving your membership badge, programme book and the Read Me (PS, read it, it helps. :lol:) Meeting your new best friends, cheering during the Opening Ceremony, dozing as Terry reads from his newest book, laughing during the Maskerade, marvelling at the delights of the Dealers room, and peoples Hall costumes, the good food served by the hotel, the good music and sing-alongs initiated by DW fans, and finally, realising during the Dead Monkey, end of convention Party that'll you are home, and that you never want to leave :D
Doth not a penny to the widow outshine the unconquered sun

AKA g'nomi :-)
Omnia

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:03 am

Wow! 8) Sounds good!

You don't work in PR or advertising, do you Omnia? I had a lump in my throat by the time I'd finished reading that.

I reckon my chances of going have risen to 60%, but everyone must pass a lot of water between now and next August :D
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:37 am

poohbcarrot wrote:I reckon my chances of going have risen to 60%, but everyone must pass a lot of water between now and next August :D

Especially if they've been quaffing a fair bit... :twisted:

Sorry - couldn't leave it unsaid :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm

I do believe that this is representative of Quaffage!!!

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:20 pm

It's a good quaffable size and you're necking it well, but quaffing involves a lot of spillage and I can't see any spillage on your shirt. :lol:
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Omnia » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:11 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:Wow! 8) Sounds good!

You don't work in PR or advertising, do you Omnia? I had a lump in my throat by the time I'd finished reading that.

I reckon my chances of going have risen to 60%, but everyone must pass a lot of water between now and next August :D

No :lol: But I went to my first DW convention last year and have been counting down the days ever since :D
*Whispers*Full attending membership btw is GBP £45 until 30th June there after it will be GBP £50
Forums like these make the distence (in all relative dimensions, and across any water) insignificant :)
Doth not a penny to the widow outshine the unconquered sun

AKA g'nomi :-)
Omnia

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:44 am

Pooh - that ain't me!! That's summat I found on Google Images.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Next

Return to The Broken Drum