Ankh Morpork Fire Service??

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Do you think a Dscworld Novel about a Fire Brigade would be a good adea?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes : 11

Ankh Morpork Fire Service??

Postby Plague The CLOWN » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:55 pm

Think Mr Pratchett would ever consider writing a book about the fire service on the discworld, i love his books as does a collegue of mine and we both agree with all the things that go on in the fire service both serious and funny a very good book could be writen. Would love to be able to pass it on to Sir Terry and even give him lots of back ground on the serious and very funny things that go on. Would anyone be interested in a discworld novel of that nature and read it in here? More so after reading guards guards, there is and has been lots of great characters in my short carear so far that would definatley be worth writing about and building a character around.
Plague The CLOWN

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi and welcome Plague the clown

(The following is from memory so could be wrong)

They used to have a fire brigade on Discworld and they were paid per fire. Vetinari disbanded them after the infamous "charcoal Tuesday".

Now the golems are an unpaid fire brigade and mysteriously turn up at fires and put them out.

Why don't you try writing your own book? Try writing something and posting it on this site and everyone will give you feedback.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby mspanners » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:48 pm

A short story about charcoal Tuesday could be fun though.... the lead character could be a parody of the nice chap from The Prodigy who sung Crazy Fire Starter ! :shock: He looks a bit like this...... :evil:
mspanners

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:58 pm

I loved Firestarter! 8)

I like the idea about the short story though.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:12 pm

Welcome to the site Plague The CLOWN!

I have to agree with Pooh here - I think the fire service was pretty much covered with the golums. They are perfect for a fire service. The bit about the dodgy insurance companies only putting the fires out of people who had paid their premiums was actually based on real events. You can still see fire insurance plaques on some old buildings or in museums.

Having said that - I've voted 'yes' as I think a book about the golum's and the fire service would be interesting (as long as Moist von Lipwig wasn't involved :lol: )
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby kakaze » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:31 pm

Vetinari resurected the post office and the banking system.

Sounds like a good book to me, but I'm more interested in how Vetinari is going to build the undergound.

And, although I like the character Moist (but hate his name), I don't think he'd make a good fire chief.

One of the girls in Monsterous Regiment was a pyromaniac, right? Maybe she could be brought in?
kakaze

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:56 pm

:lol: Oh I like that idea! :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:16 pm

Hi Plague The CLOWN that's a good idea, as long as it does not Kieth Flint any ideas, with what has to be written in the pipeline it may be a long wait.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby big yan » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:19 pm

i like the idea of "charcoal tuesday"

sounds like parts of liverpool around bonfire night!

the kids here can get asbestos to burn. god love em!
never trust a dog with orange eyebrows
big yan

Postby Trish » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:38 am

poohbcarrot wrote:Now the golems are an unpaid fire brigade and mysteriously turn up at fires and put them out.

Spike is gonna incorporate the fire brigade into the non-profit Golem Trust and apply to Vetinari for grants.
She would, too.
Trish

Postby chris.ph » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:53 am

welcome to the site plague :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Batty » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:01 pm

If I remember the history books correctly, the Great Fire of London destroyed the Plague...

Plague, is there an ulterior motive for wanting a fire service?
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Plague The CLOWN » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:34 pm

Ah, i obviously have not read those books yet, only started reading them towards end of last year and going through them in order of which they came out, so i look forward to reaching that book, as for what you where saying about fires only being fought if insurance premiums where paid is correct, and also fire brigades fought one another for buisness also, got quite bloody i heard between rival brigades (gangs).

I would love to write a my own short story but reading and writing are n ot really my strong point, other than The Hobit, the Discworld Novels are the only books outside of School i have read of my own back, but i can't put them down, read four of the books in April - May alone, anyone else is more than welcome to the idea though.

Thanks for the welcome messages.
Plague The CLOWN

Return to The Broken Drum