Message Boards - scary or what!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Message Boards - scary or what!

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:23 am

What are your experiences of posting on message boards?

I've been on a few and some of them have been really good and others have been as scary as HELL! :shock:

I've seen bullying on sites and cliques that totally ignored newbies or treated them like they were scum.

I hope your experiences of this site are positive, but if not, then let us know here and we'll see what we can do to improve things.

In my experience a site is only as good as its members - I think we've got a great site here s owe must have great members. :wink:

What are your experiences? And what can we do to improve things here?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:20 am

I used to post and donated to the financial support of a web site/forum dedicated to making Star Trek fan films called NewVoyages ( Think the name has changed now, they have had a lot of success, indeed I believe the lead actor from NewVoyages had a walk on part in the New Official Trek Movie... :shock: ) a few Years ago.. Someone posted on the site that there was a drive to collect cash to renovate the Saturn V Rocket at the cape and the poster was pushing people to donate... when I posted a reply on the site that a cash drive for a memorial to all the dead people killed by Wernher von Braun Rocket work for the Nazi government would be more suitable a tribute I started to receive PM's that were quite aggressive. The poster had a relative who had worked on the project and would defend the USA and Von Braun irrispective of His war crimes....

I PM'ed the poster back with links to site showing Von Braun had been a member of the SS had selected slaves from concentration camps to work on His projects.

It is just my personal opinion and I respect the fact that the USA should be proud of their space program BUT the point I was trying to make was it is a shameful thing that some of the German's who if they had worked in other projects for the Nazi Government would have been tried as war criminals were given a new start and their Histories sanitised..

Needless to say I no longer post there, but I have down loaded the latest Episodes ( which are free to all ) and have voted for the show on the internet poles.
Last edited by mspanners on Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mspanners

Postby chris.ph » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:31 pm

go on the great dane forum they are bitchy as hell, but some of the posts are really interesting so i still use it i just dont post much :) unlike here where i post constantly :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:25 pm

Wow Mspanners that is kind of rough. Well, more like Really rough. I tend to accept everyone at face value and really, really hope that others are willing to accept me too. Even with my unique opinions, and ideas. I like being different and have a very hard time conforming to group mentalities.

I hope that this is going to work out as a home for me. I like this and I like all of you guys. :oops: :D Um... :hugs: to all!
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:36 pm

This one of the friendliest sites I have been on and I have been on a few and there others I like a lot. :D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby mspanners » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:40 pm

I agree... if everyone were alike what a boring world it would be... we have had disputations on this site ( and to be honest I for one enjoy a refreshing dialogue ). :twisted:

I will stand by the fact that the counterweight continent is a Chinese / Japo cross and Twoflower in the TV Colour of Magic was just wrong... Urinating Dog, Urinating Dog, Urinating Dog. :lol:
mspanners

Postby superfurryandy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:54 pm

Been on a few, got banned from the BBC, just sorta left long term one cos of some idiots on there, just joined another one with refugees from that one which is lovely, and this one is very nice as well :)

My main story concerns the Spaced Out boards (for the programme Spaced) that I helped to run and contributed to financially - long story short, one of my fellow mods posted about Shaun of the Dead when it came out and whilst it was an overall positive post, there was some constructive criticism - she then got a call from the director of the fillum, Edgar Wright, asking that her post be removed - all of the mods were in uproar about this apart from two (which included the site owner keen on a career in the media...) - Wright continued to ask for the post to be removed, with the implicit support of Simon Pegg, and even threatened my friend by saying that his own (Wright's) brother, Oscar, would get no more work from him - he knew that my friend is good friends with Oscar - thus intimidated she removed the post. No mention of the overwhelmingly positive comments, no mention of the fact that a friend and I posted the first reviews available anywhere after going to the first rough screening, and we linked to them all over the web.

So, we were not happy with this and it became apparent on the boards - Edgar Wright, who had had no input whatsoever to the site, was logging in every day to check up on us, this at the busiest time of his career to date :roll:

Suddenly, the boards "crash" - four months later they come back up - none of the 'dissident' mods are notified about this, or about the fact that we are no longer mods - the boards are now fully funded by Wright, Pegg & Co, and we are no longer welcome. So, after several years of hard work and the occasional cash injection, we saw what loyalty means in the world of 'celebrities' and their egos.
superfurryandy

Postby mspanners » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:06 pm

Them stars have big egos.... but must admit to liking Shaun of the Dead! And Hot Fuzz ( was shot no to far from Bridgwater, I could understand the Farmer with the Gun collection without the translations..... :shock: and I own a older version of the WRX Impreza they drove off in at the end of the film.. 8) ). Friendly lot here aren't they. :)
Last edited by mspanners on Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mspanners

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:08 pm

<I will stand by the fact that the counterweight continent is a Chinese / Japo cross and Twoflower in the TV Colour of Magic was just wrong... Urinating Dog, Urinating Dog, Urinating Dog. >Are you takinkg the pish spaners. :roll: :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby mspanners » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:11 pm

No.. extracting the urine.... :)
mspanners

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:31 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:
I hope that this is going to work out as a home for me. I like this and I like all of you guys. :oops: :D Um... :hugs: to all!
We hope so too Tina. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:14 am

mspanners wrote:No.. extracting the urine.... :)
You cant it's not Sunday yet. :P
Who's Wee Dug

Postby kakaze » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:34 am

I like this forum.

Even though people occationally strongly disagree with others on certain topics, I've yet to see any flaming.

Also, there's a lack of drama that I've seen on some other boards. I'm putting that down to the members' average age.
kakaze

Postby mspanners » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:06 am

I am an old man, o my Chilblains are playing up again and these troll teeth don't fit like they used to...... 10th of June and I hit 48 Years old! Wow is me....... :lol:
mspanners

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:22 am

Happy birthday MS!

Funny, I'm 49 but not complaining. I don't know, the youth of today! :lol:
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Next

Return to The Broken Drum