The Year In Pictures 2014

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The Year In Pictures 2014

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:00 pm

Tried out the new camera tonight, ET had phoned home. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:44 am

Dug, those are beautiful!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:25 am

Lovely effect Penfold, looks like a pipe running into a layer of clouds. Is it part of a cloud pumping station? ;)
KnightOfFewWords

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:10 am

Had a go at processing my sleeping giantess image from last year. There was only so much I could do about the blown out sky, but I think this is an improvement.

KnightOfFewWords

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:57 pm

Very good Knight :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Penfold » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:42 pm

Very atmospheric Dug. :D

I know the problem of blown out skies in woodland only too well Knight. I'm not sure what software you have but one way around it is to take some multiple exposures and put it through an HDR process. :think: Either way, she looks fantastic! :D

(Where was the photo taken, btw, since my friends are still planning our photography holiday for this year and might well pay her a visit if she is in our neck of the woods?)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Catch-up » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:55 pm

I remember that one Knight. It looks great!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:52 am

She sure does.

Lovely photo's Dug & Knight.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:06 pm

Penfold wrote:I know the problem of blown out skies in woodland only too well Knight. I'm not sure what software you have but one way around it is to take some multiple exposures and put it through an HDR process. :think: Either way, she looks fantastic! :D

(Where was the photo taken, btw, since my friends are still planning our photography holiday for this year and might well pay her a visit if she is in our neck of the woods?)

She's at the 'Lost' Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall. If I ever get the chance I'll reshoot her. Like you say, HDR might be the way to go, but that's something I haven't tried yet. I'm learning more about my camera and post processing, but it's a very slow process. One thing I do use quite a bit is the tip you gave me - aperture priority mode to blur out the background, thanks for that one. :)

Here's their other giant:

Talking of processing, here's a before and after example:

It was taken on a dull day, so I boosted the contrast and darkened the shadows to bring out eyes and blue plumage more. I hope it's an improvement.
KnightOfFewWords

Postby Penfold » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:16 pm

Very nice again Knight. :D

Regarding the peacock and on the technical side, the eyes are very important to wildlife shots (as well as portraits) and are the first thing judges look at in competition for sharpness and 'catch-lights'. The aperture setting for shooting is one that many of our visiting professional speaker/photographers use but make sure you check what shutter speed it is applying to avoid camera shake (I think you know that already though). :D
Penfold

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:33 pm

Great shots Knight!

Penfold, are the "catch-lights" the light reflected in the eyes? I was quite pleased to discover that our photo editing software has an option to add or enhance that. We've had it for years and I'm still learning things I can do with it. :oops:
Catch-up

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:36 pm

Yes, I've heard that we instinctively focus on the eyes when looking at a face, so if the camera isn't focused there the portrait doesn't look natural. I've just ordered a 50mm lens to add to my kit.

In the case above I was actually referring to the eyes in the display. :) It was a very co-operative peacock, that was taken at 18mm with the lens inside the arc of feathers.
Last edited by KnightOfFewWords on Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KnightOfFewWords

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:37 pm

Yes, you've really made those pop!
Catch-up

Postby Penfold » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:39 pm

That's right Susanne, the 'catch-lights' are the light reflections in the eyes. For some reason, they do seem to bring 'life' to a portrait. :D

Do you, or can you, photograph in RAW format Knight? Photographing in RAW is slightly more time consuming but it is also non-destructive to the photo and allows for better and more versatile editing.
Penfold

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:20 pm

Yes, I always shoot in raw + jpg. Most of the images I put on my Flickr account are just the jpegs straight from the camera or with a crop applied, but when I edit anything I use the raw file. I know there is sometimes detail lurking in any under or over exposed areas, and adjusting the histogram can bring it out. That's lost when it's mapped to an image format with 8 bits of data per channel.

Here's a Red Kite from a falconry display at Sparkwell Zoo. It was an overcast day and the original was little more than a silhouette, but playing with the curves helped. Here's a couple attempts at processing it:

Notice the difference, in the top image the body and under-wing area is one black blob, in the bottom one you can see the plumage. What would be great would be to sit down with someone who really knows what they are doing, and see what they could get out of my images.
KnightOfFewWords

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum