The Year In Pictures 2014

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The Year In Pictures 2014

Postby chillicamper » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:46 am

Loving the heavy horses Penners. :D

It was dream one day to own a team of shires or clydesales......and work them in the woods hauling out timber.......never gonna happen with my wrecked shoulder. :( Now I've got to find another excuse for owning them :lol:

I used to live along the road from an old guy who was the farrier for Courage Brewery. I went to what him hot shoeing when he still woriked at the Courage Shire Horse Centre in Maidstone. This guy was only a wiry 5ft 4 but the way he handled those horses was amazing.
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:40 am

Fair enough Dug. :lol: I might have a look on google maps to work out buildings are in shot.

Like the horses Penfold, the sepia effect goes well with them. Did you crop the image, or was it a case of that was where you could place yourself? Personally, I'd like to see the back wheel of the cart as well. The one below that showing the brewery sign might work well in sepia as well. I like the way the two horses are steering in unison in that one, with their heads canted over at the same angle. In the seagull pic the blue of those railings contrasts well with the gray of the concrete, can see some potential there.

After failing to get any decent pictures of them the previous weekend, I went out chasing the Red Kites around a local village. No sooner had I got out of the then one zoomed past, carrying a bundle of leaves. I couldn't tell you how many I saw in total as they kept appearing and disappearing.

Here are my two favorite shots, I spent half an hour chasing this one around a huge field, and it finally obliged me by swooping low over my head with the Sun in a decent position:

This one seems to be out divining for water:

... and here's a bonus robin (a shame the beak is a little lost in the background, I might have to tweak a twig or two):

Very pleased with these, the whole set is here on Flickr is anyone is interested.

I managed to give myself eye strain though, through too much squinting - not in the eye that was looking through the eyepiece, but in the one I had closed. I had quite bad double-vision in that eye for a couple hours. It's true, staring at birds can make you go blind. I probably just need to relax that eye more, but I think I'll mention it to my optician in case it's the sign of a problem.
KnightOfFewWords

Postby Penfold » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:18 am

Great pics of the Kite, Knight. :D

Re your eye, it wouldn't hurt to have it checked with the optician but it sounds to me that you might have lightly strained an eye muscle through shutting it too tightly and keeping it 'screwed up' for too long.

I agree about the wheel but there was a car parked right next to it and that was the best angle that I could get. :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:50 pm

[quote="KnightOfFewWords"]Fair enough Dug. :lol: I might have a look on google maps to work out buildings are in shot.

They are listed here just click the blue links Knight.Calton Hill is the headquarters of the Scottish Government, which is based at St Andrew's House,[2] on the steep southern slope of the hill; with the Scottish Parliament Building, and other notable buildings, for example Holyrood Palace,[3] lying near the foot of the hill. The hill also includes several iconic monuments and buildings: the National Monument,[3] the Nelson Monument,[3][4] the Dugald Stewart Monument,[3][4] the old Royal High School,[3][4] the Robert Burns Monument,[3] the Political Martyrs' Monument and the City Observatory.[4][5]

Good shots of the hawks. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:15 pm

Penfold, Knight, amazing pictures! :clap:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Sister Jennifer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:15 pm

I wish more brick walls looked like this one. I like your style Kansas.

Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby SerSiward » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:31 pm

:think: I don't remeber Catch-22 being that thick :P
The Night is Dark and Full of Turnips
SerSiward

Postby Penfold » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:32 pm

That street looks really cool Sister! :D

I managed to spend a couple of hours at the local RNLI Station today with my mate from the camera club. We got chatting to one of the crew there and he was kind enough to show us around; in fact his hospitality went way beyond what is normally extended to members of the public. I think it may be because he saw the cameras we were carrying and realized that we weren't just regular visitors and the fact I told him about the charity that I'm currently 'working' for. Anyway, he took us through crew only areas and opened the 'gate' for us to see down the ramp. He even let us outside to take pics on the ramp itself, somewhere that is definitely 'off-limits'. :D

Taken from the public area.

From the crew/staff platform.

The Locker Room.

From the Launch Ramp.

Next Sunday they have a training launch at around 10am which I hope to catch (I finish work and get home around 6:30am so no sleep for me that day). :(

And finally a couple of pics from the other day at Brighton before it clouded over.
The Busker.

The Brighton Wheel
Penfold

Postby michelanCello » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:37 pm

Love the street musician one!
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:29 am

The RNLI PHOTOS ARE GREAT Penners. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Sister Jennifer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:51 am

Here's another thing, your subject matter is always interesting, Penfold.

I really dig the launch ramp & busker.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Catch-up » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:37 pm

Amazing shots Penfold! How very cool that you got additional access. Love the ramp shot!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Ghost » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:32 pm

very nice I'm jealous :P
my pic's will be coming either Sunday or Tuesday
Ghost

Postby Penfold » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:03 pm

Catch-up wrote:Amazing shots Penfold! How very cool that you got additional access. Love the ramp shot!

I think having a flash looking camera helps, as well as the fact I am taking photos for a new charity that is being set up. :D
Penfold

Postby hnorwood » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:57 pm

Well, it started fine but with a cold wind today; Leeds City Square is not the warmest place on Earth when the wind blows!
This is Great Yorkshire Morris - they dance in the Cotswold tradition (the one most people think of when they imagine Morris.

This is Briggate Morris - a Ladies' side who dance in the North East tradition (clogs)

Kirkburton sword dancers - long swords (rigid - not the rapper swords which are very bendy)

Clogaire - clog dancing.

No photos of my own side as I was dancing in all the sets...
It started raining after lunch, so wasn't quite so good for the spectators.
This was to celebrate the Spring Equinox..
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum