Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Crass consumerism

Postby Ghost » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:45 pm

Crass consumerism or what yah got for Christmas
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Re: Crass consumerism

Postby Catch-up » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:03 pm

The most consumeryism thing I got was a tablet. I'm not normally interested in techie things, I don't even have a smartphone. So, just decided I wanted to catch up a little (ha-ha).
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Ghost » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:09 pm

ooo so you can tappy us anywhere you go providing you've got the tablet with you
massive piece of advice if you haven't got one buy a cover for it
I got £60 from my parents which I used to purchase
a Sookie Stackhouse box set with the first ten books for just £13
Xxxholic live action DVD
and 2 more books :D
Ghost

Postby Catch-up » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:34 pm

Nice! :D Those are great books. I did buy a cover. Even with it, I'm a nervous wreck about damaging it somehow.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby phalarope » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:27 pm

Complete boxed set of Star Trek TNG DVDs (used :D). And a book by that Pratchett fellow. 8-)
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.'
-- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips
phalarope

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:43 am

The two last Tom Holt books and I'm waiting for Santa Amazon to deliver my new hiking boots and sticks, new camera and case to follow. :mrgreen: :D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:13 am

Let's see...

Actual presents? Surprisingly few beyond cash and gift cards, with the only big present being a copy of the limited edition of the Big Finish Doctor Who audio story The Light at the End. I also got, albeit not quite as a Christmas gift, an Ender's Game keyring.

However, with the monies and gift cards, I have gone on a spending spree. I have bought four Big Finish audios, and intend to order a fifth, as well as a 50th anniversary soundtrack compilation of Doctor Who, DVDs of The Hobbit extended edition and An Adventure in Space and Time, and I intend to get the boxset of Doctor Who series 7 soon.

Even so, it's not been without frustrations. One big one today was with The Hobbit. The extended edition packaging is s***, frankly. I found it extremely hard to get two of the discs out. I had to be very careful, given the design of the disc-holders, not to break two of the discs (they were special feature discs and not quite as important as the film, true, but I paid for a boxset, not just for the film). I very nearly broke the discs in question trying to get them out (though they're fine now), and I have to wonder who the 'genius' who designed the disc case was. :evil: Thankfully, it was cheap. RRP was already about $30, and JB Hi-Fi is having a 20% off sale. And I can keep the discs in my DVD folder to avoid such problems in future. I had a notion that it'd be necessary...
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby chris.ph » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:19 am

this is a watch case rosanna bought me in which ive put some of my vintage watches :D absolutely chuffed to bits :dance: :dance:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Ghost » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:47 am

Quater I know how that feels I have more than a few hours of swearing at box sets bizarre layouts discs put in the wrong order discs printed in the wrong order mismatched box sets and stuck DVD's it's a OCD minefield
Penner's that display case is gorgeous
Ghost

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:41 am

Ghost wrote:Quater I know how that feels I have more than a few hours of swearing at box sets bizarre layouts discs put in the wrong order discs printed in the wrong order mismatched box sets and stuck DVD's it's a OCD minefield

Normally (though not in this particular case), I wouldn't be bothered by discs being in the wrong order. But it was as if the manufacturers didn't want anyone enjoying the special features, and loved the sound of breaking discs. :evil:

What's worse, JB Hi-Fi don't seem to have any copies of Doctor Who series 7, so I'm going to have to source it from elsewhere. :|

I'm suffering from a touch of Post-Yuletide Depression at the moment.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby wicked woman » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:49 am

chris.ph wrote:Image

this is a watch case rosanna bought me in which ive put some of my vintage watches :D absolutely chuffed to bits :dance: :dance:

Very nice chris.

I got a kindle, perfume and jewellery, chocs and biscuits. :D
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby chuckie » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:32 pm

A kindle, some books, a DVD, some chocs and a bottle of rum. But the best present was spending the day with my partners son, his girlfriend and their two small kids, Oliver 22 months and Maisy 2 months :D
Susan did an unusual thing and listened. that's not an easy task for a teacher.
chuckie

Postby Penfold » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 pm

Great display case chris. :D

My mum bought me a Stephen King book, the only author I've read where I think the films are better than the books and that is not saying very much either. Bless her but she always seems to get things back to front when it comes to my likes and dislikes (especially with food). :lol: My main present from mum was a mobile phone (I've always managed without one up until now). It's a basic pay as you go and has no special features but I wanted to be able to have a phone number on my business cards that wasn't my home number. I'm well chuffed with it. :D I also got the usual aftershaves and items of clothing.

The gifts I gave away went down a storm. My print of Worthing Dome at sunset had our friend really excited as she collects Dome memorabilia and my mum fell in love with her canvas of a Cissbury Ring photo that is a little over 2½ feet long and 1¾ feet high. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:35 pm

I mainly got CDs with a couple of DVDs this year. So Wintersmith by Steeleye Span and the Truckers TV series here I come once I finish work today :D Probably whilst drinking one of the three Christmas beers I gained as well :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby chris.ph » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:53 pm

i think pips on a loser with all these people getting kindles :lol: :lol:

enjoy your beers mad :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Next

Return to The Broken Drum