Real Life fans

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:28 am

:lol: That's funny Jeanie!

And the trouble is there's a Pratchettism for almost every occassion and us fans tend to forget that not everyone else reads the books. Several times I've come out with a Pratchett quote only to be met with blank and slightly nervous glares. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jason » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:42 am

Jinx wrote:How many subscribers you at now Jason?
DWM is one of only two newsletters (out of the many*) I actually like seeing arrive in my inbox.

* - If you're a troll I wasn't counting to 4, I meant a really big number. err... a really big number that is more than 4.

Sorry, missed this one somehow, the current mailing list is just over 20,000.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:15 am

Moderator - Jason wrote:
Jinx wrote:How many subscribers you at now Jason?
DWM is one of only two newsletters (out of the many*) I actually like seeing arrive in my inbox.

* - If you're a troll I wasn't counting to 4, I meant a really big number. err... a really big number that is more than 4.

Sorry, missed this one somehow, the current mailing list is just over 20,000.
Good thing you're not sending the newsletters out by mail. That's an awful lot of stamps. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Jinx » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:24 pm

Jeannie wrote:IRL I only know three other Terry Pratchett fans, one being the lovley Toothy :D

I was at a barbeque with the other two fans I know recently, my lovely hubby had gotten himself into trouble and was getting the 'glare of doom' from me when the moment was ruined by a cry from behind us of...

"Oh wailey wailey, it's the foldin' of the arms, the pursin' of the lips, the tappin' o' the feets!!!"

which of course made me collapse in a heap of giggles thus rendering my glare ineffective :roll: :lol:

Thank you, I will bear that in mind next time I find myself in trouble from the missus. Making her laugh always seems to get me off the hook. Tee hee
Jinx

Other fans??

Postby Lenny Quirm » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:55 pm

[color=violet]I used to know lots of TP fans, but then i used to hang out with student types in Liverpool and Sheffield (I was one myself you know). Since i moved to "Sunny Rhyl" i don't know anyone who shares my passion for all things Pratchett. I'm trying to get my niece into TP (she is currently into the adventures of Mr Potter, but then she's only just turned 10 and can be frgiven for not knowing any better) But so far no luck. My daughter is only 2 and I intend to introduce her to the great man just as soon as she gets too cynical for Spot the Dog.

My loving husband doesn't do reading and most of my friends think i'm a bit of a geek for liking "all that fantasy rubbish".

So it was nice and reassuring to stumble onto this forum and to realise I AM NOT ALONE :
It only hurts if you pick at it!
Lenny Quirm

Re: Other fans??

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:09 pm

Lenny Quirm wrote:[color=violet]I used to know lots of TP fans, but then i used to hang out with student types in Liverpool and Sheffield (I was one myself you know). Since i moved to "Sunny Rhyl" i don't know anyone who shares my passion for all things Pratchett. I'm trying to get my niece into TP (she is currently into the adventures of Mr Potter, but then she's only just turned 10 and can be frgiven for not knowing any better) But so far no luck. My daughter is only 2 and I intend to introduce her to the great man just as soon as she gets too cynical for Spot the Dog.

My loving husband doesn't do reading and most of my friends think i'm a bit of a geek for liking "all that fantasy rubbish".

So it was nice and reassuring to stumble onto this forum and to realise I AM NOT ALONE :
Have you tried your niece with the Tiffany books, Lennie - or Amazing Maurice? Those are perfect for getting younger readers into the series. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Jarmara » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:11 pm

Lenny Quirm wrote: My daughter is only 2 and I intend to introduce her to the great man just as soon as she gets too cynical for Spot the Dog.

Why wait? Read her Where's My Cow now and then move on to Truckers :D
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby TheMole » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:18 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Have you tried your niece with the Tiffany books, Lennie - or Amazing Maurice? Those are perfect for getting younger readers into the series. :wink:

:D Well, I would NOT lend Amazing Maurice to a younger reader...you can say what you want, but I find it too much "Stephen King"-ish :?
Mr Brown goes off to town on the 8:21
But he comes home each evening and he’s ready with his gun
TheMole

Postby Jarmara » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:21 pm

TheMole wrote: :D Well, I would NOT lend Amazing Maurice to a younger reader...you can say what you want, but I find it too much "Stephen King"-ish :?

Seconded! I was freaked out completely by the Rat King thing.
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby TheMole » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:38 pm

Yeah, that´s exactly what I meant...the Spider, rat kings, Shall I tell you that the stupid-looking kid and the silly-sounding girl are going to die? Do you know that rats can eat a human alive? , and so on... :wink:
Mr Brown goes off to town on the 8:21
But he comes home each evening and he’s ready with his gun
TheMole

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:08 pm

Could be worse - more James Herbert than Stephen King. :shock:
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:01 pm

they did a king rat in halo jones ala 2000ad
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Re: Real Life fans

Postby meerkat » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:29 pm

I met Jan at the Irish Com! I too have quoted from a book to blank looks from Pratchett readers! Cor, we are all so alike! :lol:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum