Going AWOL

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Going AWOL

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:42 pm

Just a quickie to let you know I won't be around for a bit.

My mum (80 on Easter monday) went to visit her sister in Suffolk (Bury St Eds) at the weekend, had a fall, and the result is...........

She's got a broken right ankle and a broken toe in her left foot, so both are plastered/snow boot (whatever that means).

West Suffolk Hospital (gawd love 'em) are sending her to a nursing home in Lyme Regis by ambulance tomorrow.

All female crew for when she needs tinkle time, together with packed lunch.

I'm off down there Weds morning. Don't know when I'll be back.

It's going to be a long haul, as I think it will take weeks, if not months, for this to get better, and even then, I don't know if she'll be able to look after herself at home afterwards.

I looked at the home on the internet (god bless google) and it's a private home, with single rooms in excess of £400 a week.

I hope to god the NHS/DSS is going to pay for this. :shock:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:47 pm

Hope everything goes well with your mum. Take care and good luck!
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:50 pm

same from me
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks guys, I really REALLY appreciate your good wishes and support.

Currently reading the Science behind... No. 1 book, but as the science goes right over my head, I'm just reading the Wizzard's story! :oops:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:
Currently reading the Science behind... No. 1 book, but as the science goes right over my head, I'm just reading the Wizzard's story! :oops:
:lol: That's what I did as well. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:49 pm

I'm Sooooooo glad it's not just me! :lol:

Bouncy Castle

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:50 pm

Good Luck with Mum... and the "real" science is too depressing...I wish I hadn't. :? :(
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:36 pm

Lyme Regis is a lovely place to go and recuperate - lots for visitors/carers to do too :)

I rather liked Science 1 - especially enjoyed Rincewind's field trips as the Egregious Prof for Cruel and Unusual Geography :lol: The Science bits were a little lack-lustre in parts but some parts weren't so bad and better the physics lessons we had in our senior school which managed to put me off a subject I'd always been pretty interested when I was younger... :x
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:14 am

Ahh, yes, it does make lots more sense than the "real" school lessons, but more depressing to think about how we are going to be wiped off the planet at any moment. :cry: sorry, am just in a bad frame of mind for the science :)

hmmm mood swings... I hate that.

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:03 am

I'm sure you (and your mum) will bounce back bouncier than before, bouncy - "catch you on the rebound!" :D

Speaking of Science of Discworld, I'm reading Science of Discworld III (Darwin's watch) at the moment, as it's the only TP book I've never read. It's excellent, especially the science bits. I love the way it classes religions in the same category as cults and pseudoscientific movements, then proceeds to demolish them a la Richard Dawkins. In fact I feel a signature change coming on...... 8)
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:10 pm

I hope your mum feels better soon Bouncy. It's been good having you here :)

Poohb - sometimes I can't work you out :? :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:53 pm

Dotsie wrote:Poohb - sometimes I can't work you out :? :wink:

Do you usually make it a habit of "working people out"? :wink:
Do all people have to fit into little boxes? :wink:

Anyway, what have I done now? :lol:
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Batty » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:02 pm

Hope everything goes smoothly for you, Bouncy.

I haven't read the science books. Are they worth reading by anyone who doesn't have a scientific brain?

At the school I attended, girls weren't allowed to mess with 'proper' science classes, as we were scheduled to learn Domestic Science. I may not know how the Earth was formed (or care!), but I can cook a lovely Chocolate Brownie!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:38 pm

If you choose to read them, you can read the "Discworldy" chapters, as they alternate with the heavy science... and yeah it Can be heavy sometimes. You might find some of it good though. I know that I managed to learn/relearn... I hate getting older :lol: and some of it really is fascinating about the fossil deposits.

Or just read "story" which is every other chapter. :D :D

LOL Poohb... There is NO box that could hold you! Just watch out for that bag full of tins she carries :twisted:

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:22 pm

Mum safely transferred from Bury St Edmunds to Lyme Regis.

I'm off down there tomorrow.

Bouncy Castle

Next

Return to The Broken Drum